Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stock Jet engine powered 1955 Cadillac with afterburner?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VonMoldy, Feb 28, 2007.

1. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

Was this car ever made? I am posting this for a friend. Anyone who can tell more about the parts or anything you see really would be awesome.
    Check out all the gear on this thing! look for the pic with the gaseous jet afterburner!!! all these pictures are from this one car.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    this tag says gaseous jet afterburner!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Pretty wild, but the pictures ar to big to look at without scrolling back and forth. And I do have a hi-res setup.

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

thats a draw through supercharger, there were some turbine powered cars that drag raced in the 60s. I remember the Pop Mechanics article.

4. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

its not a supercharger according to my buddy but it looks like one to me. i think thats an aircraft heater inside.

5. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

i think one of the previous owners must have been in the army air corps during ww2 as an aircraft mechanic or something. looks like the ww2 army air corps insignia to me.

anyway, thats fucking awesome. i would love to see that restored and working! is it forsale? whats the scoop on the car? please tell me yer gonna buy it and get it working again!

6. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

autotronic eye! hehe who says automatic headlight dimming is new?
    [​IMG]
    ww2 army air corps -signal corps cadet?
    [​IMG]
    now this other handle is reather baffling!
    [​IMG]
    hmm
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

so from what i can tell LEON A. MANGLE tried to make a "gaseous jet afterburner" using airplane parts and a supercharger. as well as other parts that i cant even make out. and had a pending pat. on it.... would be sweet to find more about this. ive been searching the web for about an hour now.

8. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

oh my god! ok, loked up the white pages for reno nevada. i got a listing for "ALVIN L MENGLE age 93"......

Leon A. Mangle.....

IM SO TEMPTED O CALL HIM RIGHT NOW BEFORE THE OLD MAN DIES AND THIS WHOLE THING IS FORGOTTON!

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Onliest widgets I can figgerout are the "Blue Streak" box, just a top of the line externally adjustable voltage regulator, and the guy's AAF wings on the auxiliary instrument panel...

GET ON THAT PHONE!!

The world needs to know!

Alien encounter or just too much time spent at the aircraft scrapyard??

Clearly a hot rodding example of Outsider art, either way, and REALLY damn cool.

10. Any chance one of the moderators could shrink these pics a bit and line them up vertically down the screen?

11. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

GRRR i cant call him my phones out of minutes(stupid pre pay) and my dad would kill me if i used his phone to call long distance.
    anyone else wanna try him?

12. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

Please don't call the guy I don't want any flak from this. If my buddy finds out anything I will post it on here.

13. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

the guys 93 years old.. i dont tihnk hes gonna want the car back.. haha

14. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

thats not what i mean do you think he wants to find out his name registration and junk is on the internet by someone calling him about some car he used to have?

15. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

true i guess, but i was just gonna say "a friend of mine saw the car in persn and said he found a tag with yer name on it" ect nothing about the internet.

16. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

that might be alright but I will leave it up to my buddy to see if he wants to call the guy.

17. 26TCoupe

26TCoupe

That's an awsome car! Wish I was able to swipe that many aircraft parts from the jets I work on. I didn't see any jet engines in there though. Please find out more info on this one, I'd love to know the story behind it!

18. 26TCoupe

26TCoupe

This should be a little easier to look at:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Elrod

Elrod

I tried looking up patent info, but anything before 1975 requires the patent number to do the search. That tag says Patent Pending. Can't search by Leon's name either. Dang. Too cool. I can't believe you wouldn't call this guy. The owner should call this guy. SOMEONE Should call this guy. Dang.

Chances are, the old timer is going to answer the phone and say, "Rocket powered junk yard car? What the heck are you talking about??"

But if this is your guy, you gotta talk to him!

20. 375instroke

375instroke
    from seattle,wa

I don't see a "jet" engine or turbine in any of the pics. A turbine would be in the engine compartment, but with a V8 there, the jet would be at the back. I don't see one there, and without a turbojet, there's nothing to put an afterburner on.

21. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

maybe you didn't see the gaseous jet afterburner I said to look for and then right above the pic showing it I described it again.
    no it doesnt actually have a jet engine but looking through the pics it would appear it should have one!

22. 26TCoupe

26TCoupe

No jet engine, bummer! I would love to know what all that other stuff does though!

23. Zombilly

Zombilly

Someone Call!!!

24. lexistars

lexistars
    from Fontana

ALright guys, Listen Up! You all are too worried about what the old man is gonna say. I know from different Situations that Old people who love cars,are more then willing to Shit the shit and share stories about the Past. I Also think he would rather Tell a story or answer questions to a sweet soft spoken female like myself vs any of you Gents. SO GIVE me the number! He is 93 might kick the bucket and there is a story here to be told!!! =D

25. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

fine if you guys wanna call do it just don't involve me I didn't post a phone number his name or anything all i know is what a friend told me and posted it on here for him cuz he thought you guys would know a thing or two about the car. so if you call this guy and he gets pissed i just want it to be known i had nothing to do with it in case the guy gets pissed and calls the cops or something crazy like that.
    now back to our regularly scheduled programming....

26. tattooedup37

tattooedup37

27. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

That car should be saved just because of the quality of workmanship on it!

My first thought was that the box around the carb was part of a blower set up, but the shot that shows the "lean-rich" control reminds me of the fuel burning heaters in early cars.

the man did love his gauges, didn't he:cool:

28. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All I see is a Caddy with a whole lot of useless crap put on by someone with access to surplus aircraft component's.
    Kind of an aircraft themed gook wagon, and I LOVE old aircraft, hell I restore them in my spare time!
    That stuff would probably be worth something to a restorer. Hell we always dig up some rare and needed aircraft parts from farms around here, post WWII and they sold Spitfires and Kittyhawks for the now equivalent of 500 bucks! Many farmers bought them and used the components in farm machinery. Even found a manure spreader made out of a Tigermoth fuselage!

29. Chopped26

Chopped26

I think its a time machine :/

30. I'd like to know what this was all about. I like that afterburner-like thing in the exhaust port. WTF?