Register now to get rid of these ads!

Faux Patina

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by purpleflameguy, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

You're not they only one that laughed at the idea, but with a little research you'll find that this one is a famous racecar...

Crane Racers That Made History ~~ Dave Koffel ~~

One of drag racings most enduring legends is that of the Ohio Gassers, and one of the standouts of the genre is long-term Crane Cams user Dave Koffel. Dave and his wife, Susie, began with a most unlikely racecar, a massive, 4,000 pound, 1948 Packard four-door sedan powered by a 283 Chevy! Koffels Packard was built to take advantage of E/Gas class rules, running a small V-8 in a big, heavy car. The car was so outrageous that many laughed at The Flintstone Flyer, but they quickly stopped laughing when Koffel got to the finish line first.

CC

Attached Files:

2. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Off subject......the green ford (posted by TFCJohn) was kinda kool........until I read the info sheet about the fake rot & stuff.........

Also didn't someone do a FAKE barn find at a recent cally show (but it was really a new Brookville)??

I'm with Duration on his thoughts......I don't get the whole fake patina fad thing.....

But I don't really understand much........oh well....good luck on the paint.

PACO

3. butchr

butchr

I think anyone that ever put a file to a steel body could spot a glass one from 'bout 47 yards. how bout it?

4. The last thread I posted about that glass,patina,'37 started a riot! Let it die...please! FAKE isn't a favorable word here. Don't be a follower.

5. RotHod

RotHod
    from So Cal

When exactly did "traditional" start? I am wondering when the pastel colored, splatter paint graphic billet laden "street rods" will be traditional?

6. BinderRod

BinderRod

I think everyone on the boards should read every post that Hatch writes. To me he has the right outlook and I get a kick out of almost every post he responds to. Hatch keep up the great post!

7. hatch

hatch
    from house

Thanks, one vote for not punching me....it's just my total dislike of self-proclaimed experts on what is, or isn't traditional. I know what is traditional.....it's crybaby car guys. They have been around forever. Now they are on the HAMB.....and like my mom used to say..."They would bitch if you hung em with a new rope":)

8. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

fake this and fake that! who cares...next thing you know someone will be bitchin about fake boobs.i build my car MY way and i expect you to build yours your way...if you want it to look like its fresh from the field so be it..it is YOUR car...

9. I don't know, but i'm almost 52 (only on the outside) and some 18 year old was preaching to me how he's "old school". I don't know how much snot came out, i laughed so fucking hard. I'm not saying i'm "old school" (or anything else for that matter). I just build old cars the way "I" like them, and how "I" remember them. It's not always the way it was, but it sure as fuck is the way it "IS". And believe me, i love it when someone else digs my cars. But at the end of the day? I GOTTA DIG IT

10. LUCIFR

LUCIFR
    from Seattle

Try 1-800-Buy-Boyd

11. Muttley

Muttley

Hopefully not until long after I'm dead.

12. Hey wait a minute I like gloss black. its one of the few colors that i kinow what it really looks like.

Painted a car OD once. We added some gold metalic and buffed it out. looked Ok when it was done. Well it wasn't flat any more.

Actually it looked like crap but it was a corvette and belonged to one of the Soc kids anyway.

13. NOOOWW do 'ya smell what the Rock's been cookin'?

14. OLD BINDER

OLD BINDER

hey man it"s your car. do the way you want it . ENJOY !

15. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

It took 4 years to get my RPU patina'd,
    I'll tell people my intentions of painting and plating it,
    and most of the time they will say,no its perfect the way it is...
    the thing sits outside in Ventura's salt air,
    slowly decomposing the steel and rubber.
    I have to fight it by rubbing it down
    with the dirty oil changed every 4+ months.

The 40 had the perfect primer patina.
    but watching little bits of future cancer emerge
    made ospho & rattlecanning it before the rainy season an easy choice.
    In no way is cancer cool!!

This is where faux patina gets tricky.

I am a culprit for Dr. J style,
    on a rough body anyway, OSPHOing any surface rust,
    then multiple layers of almost empty rattlecans,
    sanded between like varnishing actually smooths the body out.
    If coats are added while building the car,
    over a period of time, it is almost like a real patina.
    The end result looks cool enough to not cover with a single color

However,
    going to the extent of faking rust, dents and holes is too much.
    Like stated earlier, that is like faking a scar etc.
    Fake cancer does not have the inner headache of knowing your
    car is getting eaten away.

blah blah blah dead horse is now dog food.

TP

16. waynejell

waynejell
    from USA

Fake Patina is like Hillary the Witch Clinton supporting out troops:mad: Don't be fooled by the Liberals, they are out to smash our cars:eek:

17. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Oh man .... now you really did it :( You don't have to sit and listen to him every Saturday morning like I do :eek: Come to think of it I don't either ..... but I do cause I enjoy it :D

18. hatch

hatch
    from house

I'm pretty sure GERM would have a different opinion....:)

19. purpleflameguy

purpleflameguy

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. Dennis Spohn:cool:

20. Thanks ProEnfo!! I was gonna respond int he same vein, but I wasn't gonna be as succinct as you were. The thought of a gasser treatment for my Packard crossed my mind too, but I love customs too much to do it.

Attached Files:

21. cwatson1953

cwatson1953

i say do what YOU think looks good...unless you're planning on trying to make money off of a resale on it, do you really care what's "IN" or not?
    i think it all can look good. shiny, primer, scalloped, pinstriped, "patina", rusted, broken, fixed....it depends on how its all done.

i say as long as you drive it and enjoy it thats what counts.

let's ALL be "different" and go and paint our cars "primer" with wide whites and red or black wheels! :D

22. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

No where in this do I see where Purpleflameguy asked anybody for an opinion about what he was going to do. He only wanted to know if anyone could direct him to an article. Kudos to those couple of folks that did. Sometimes the "stuff" on this board just makes me want to go out and buy a fiberglass body and build a "street rod". Then I could put in it in the barn, and my twelve year old son could pull it out in thirty years and have a "real" barn find.:p :rolleyes:

23. BLT2DRIVE

BLT2DRIVE

Street Rodder Nov. 2003; "Got Rust' &follow up article for lettering tip to go with your patina, Street Rodder Jan. 2004. These got me started in the right direction. Remember it's nature ,so play with it. Paint your color, with flattener, cut not real critical (nature?),add textures where needed, re-coat, rattle can sunburn with red oxide where you envision it, mix a little in some spray caps, add a little black to one,little white to another, spackle or dabble on topcoat. Go back again this time with two shades of charcoal metalic spray paints. A dark and a medium, don't spray it . It gets dabbled and spackled on too like the red oxide blends. Color sand every thing with 2000 or 1500 and lots of soapy water. You can cut more on the top more exposed surfaces, to differentiate from the less weathered sides and vertical surfaces.Note;see Oct. 2006 Street Rod Builder,pg.76;Nov.2006 Street Rodder,pg. 46;April 2007 Hot Rod,pg.68.

24. FastJaggersSC

FastJaggersSC

hey when youre done w/ the car, go down to hollywood and get some of those gay $300 von dutch designer denim and roll out.

25. feb 15th and the april fools stuff is started..

no one has mentioned sanding thru thr gel coat until the fuzzy frayed glass shows
    paperog

26. folowing that logic,Cords and "Dousies" will get cheap enough to make hot rods out of them!:eek: picture a fenderless Deusenberg highboy roadster with red wheels and wide whites,open engine bay.Maybe an ED ROTH "t"shirt style monster driving it!:D {yeah, I'm sick}

27. Ok I am not siding with anyone here. I say build your car how ya want. But for you that have said how to accomplish this look lets see it...

28. hemi

hemi

Thank you.

29. purpleflameguy

purpleflameguy

Thanks for all the comments pro and con. I think I will keep the white primer and go with an old style number on the side, maybe an old speed shop name or two on the trunk. Just scuffed enough to make it look old. I get all the bugs I need while driving the car. Thanks again. As many of you said it's your car do what you want, and f&*k em if they can't take a joke.
    Den, Drive em.:cool:

30. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Seems an interesting paradox.

Putting patina on a glass rod stirs up scorn and accusations of gold chains.

Yet if one of our members builds a shop truck, and letters it up with patina'd speed shop logos......people line up 3 deep to rub up against it.

Hmmmm indeed.

All I will add is that fake patina can be insanely cool, or insanely cheesy, and the line that divides em is very fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.