Register now to get rid of these ads!

garage sale scores

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scooter, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Couple years ago I see a motorcycle rear fender at a yard sale. It was old...really old. Had an oil lamp on it for a tail light. The guy told me it was off a 1914 Henderson. He said he wanted 20 bucks for it, so I buy it and sell it on ebay a while later with no clue as to the value for 950.00.
    I also scored a Cad 6x2 log style intake...with 6 97's and linkage for 150.00. The guy said "yeah, I know it's exspensive, but thas what I gotta get out of it". I paid him and ran ;)
    Yeah, yard sales are ok I guess............

2. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

I got a 54 Olds 2 door hardtop, a spare 324 rocket motor,a set of corvette wheels a 65 ranchero with a crate 302 and disc brakes,2 boxes of oldsmobile parts an engine stand a hoist 3 jack stands, 2 pairs of nine inch axles and a VS57 supercharger for free all because the guy was too lazy to have a garage sale.

3. thrasher

thrasher

wow, old thread. i never find anything good at garage sales, but my grandpa is the king of them. he got me a mini o/a torch for $20 and always comes by with misc car parts he paid pennies for.

4. gasser52

gasser52
    BANNED

I got a 34 ford 17 inch wire or $10, the guy had a nearly stock model A too. I also have seen a 283, and various 50s hubcaps

5. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

Found this last Friday from a sale. Bought one old and narrow 16" wheel as well. Paid 40 euros. The tank says: "Ford Motor Company, England" and both caps have Ford scripts, one for petroleum, other for gas. It's pretty neat.

Attached Files:

6. EvilBahumut

EvilBahumut

There seems to be a lot of NEW AND CURRENT bikes in garages not being used or wanted too ;)

7. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

Last garage sale I went to was on a whim and it was actually on my wife's insistance. I stopped to look at a saw. I ended up buying one of those $180 Enco bandsaws for $25! Brought it home, cleaned it up and threw a new blade on it and spent ten minutes adjusting the guides and it runs pretty good. The guy I got it from bought it new, used it once and couldn't get it to cut right. That was 'years ago'.

Vance

8. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

A few years ago My neighbor told me that his sister was having a garage sale. Her cop husband had been cheating on her and ran off to Oklahoma with his new squeeze. (made the average IQ of both states go up!) It seems that he had been buying stuff from pawn ship, probably the hot stuff they didnt want to sell in the store.

My neighbor had already bought 3 roll arounds full of snap-on, mac, craftsman, impacts, torque wrenches, etc.... I bought a cherry picker, 2 small block aluminum intakes, 3 sets of aluminum valve covers, 3 paint guns, air compressor, coolant pressure tester, vacuum pump tester, 2 350 cores, several sets of new pistons, bearing sets, gaskets, floor jack, jack stands and on and on. Crap the list goes on and on. I gave her $200 right then and told her I would take what I didnt want to swap meets and split what I sold it for. Other wise the garage sale cronies sould rip her off big time. I think I ended up paying her over $500 more after it was all said and done.

9. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I bought a red 57 Corvette steering wheel at an estate sale for $2.00

10. EarPunch - this hat is for you for diggin DEEEEEEP to find this old thread. :eek:

I knew it was old when I saw GERM had posted and NOTHING was in ALL CAPITAL letters.

[​IMG]

All I ever find at garage sales are worn out Granny panties by the dozens, mismatched Tupperware place settings, and boxes of Engelbert Humperdink records.

11. rainh8r

rainh8r

i bought a 57 Chev 3 speed OD for $20, a new SBC to early Ford trans adapter for $20 w/ pilot bushing, and my buddy got to one first and bought a complete 32 grille, shell, and radiator, unfilled and uncut, for $50. Garage sales are what swap meets used to be, and are the primary source for the cheap parts that all the swap meet rats charge big $$$ for. Look especially in the rural areas and those houses that aren't in developments.

12. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

I bought a pair of used 427 Chevy valve covers in the original Cal Custom box for $5 bucks, the lady said her son had to remove them from his Jeep because of smog laws???? Sold them for $100 bucks.

13. essexrat

essexrat

A few years ago, I was looking for old garage shit and came across a sale that had a few gems. I found a set of old Hemi valve covers, a Gulf Oil sign and a few old oil cans. I paid $20 bucks for the lot. I later bought a 56 VW panel van from the old guy for $50. Gotta love those garbage sales.

14. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I placed an ad once for collecting antique radios. This older guy called, he had several in the basement for $50
    I took the 7-8 I wanted, paid him $50. The prize was a 1928 Emerson Mickey Mouse radio. Four tubes, still worked, excellent condition! Was a cube with the "rat" style early Mickey.
    I wish I still had it, sold it to a museum in St.Louis so I could get my T-Bird painted. Was told years ago it was worth $2500, I got $800

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

bought a crescent pointer 2 5/8" stewart warner PSI gauge along with a box of other junk for $50.00 total. sold the gauge for $200.00. also in the box were several Tommy the Greek business cards from the 60's. got 20 bucks a pop for those.

16. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

garage sales are for rich people. I hang out at the dump all day with a lawn chair and a orange vest people just assume I work there and I help em unload thier stuff and pick out all the barbie dolls missing limbs and those singing billy bass things for myself.

17. Appleseed

Appleseed

Anyone realize that there is about a three and a half year gap between post 28 and 29? Wow. And look close, there's a nugget from Germ!

18. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

love those yard sales. bought a hurst comp/plus 4 speed shifter complete for $5.00. bought 6 chevy rally caps for $5.00 and a complete chevy 305 engine with a turbo 350 tranny for $35.00

19. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

Bought a ford promo '64 Thunderbird recliner chair... that's right - it looked like bucket seat. Bought for $5 at an estate sale of an owner of a Ford dealer and sold it for $500... and it needed redone.

Bought a set of '60 Chevy hubcaps from an antique store for 10 bucks and sold for $60.00

Got a pair for 351C finned aluminum valve covers for $20 and sold for $80.

Did this all when I was in high school. Wish I had time for it all now.

20. I waited at the dump for 4 1/2 hours one day cause I knew a 69 Raliegh Chopper was in a trailer full of crap to be dumped. I scored it and a Cougar 3 speed. My son made the Cougar into a lowrider and eventually after a few years the Chopper went to Ebay.

21. scooter

scooter
    from phx,az,USA

Amazing all these posts and yet king of the swapmeets and yard sale finds jerry says nothing , like he is keeping his secrets close to the vest lol . Last weekend i got a set of finned covers for 2 buxs wahhooo! happy hunting ya all.

22. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

My ole lady dragged me to a some garage sales on day and I spied a National detroit DA. Brand New! I tell my wife, i'm heading to the car take the da to him and jew him down. No offense. It's got 50.00 bucks on it. She tells him she will give twenty for it and smiles. The old guys says ""Darling that thing runs on air" She says i like it because it is such a pretty red color! He laughs and takes the twenty!

23. Years ago I found a Mac top box, the big one, loaded with snap-on, mac and proto tools from a lady for 175.00. She said it was her ex-husbands. I didn't have the guts to try to talk her down. I felt bad for the guy for a few minutes.

24. martell06

martell06

i bought an 8 track player, speakers and about 25 classic rock 8 tracks for ten bucks. i thought it was cool.

25. skooter_built

skooter_built

i havent hit the gs circuit for a while. My mom used to take me when i was little. Never remembered seein any good parts, but this year i gonna start huntin.