Register now to get rid of these ads!

shoebox rearend removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rodknocker, Feb 19, 2007.

1. rodknocker

rodknocker

so I was trying to take out my 50 ford shoebox rearend this weekend, everything was going smooth until I got to the bolts at the front eyelet of the leaf.The bolt on the right front leaf just spins(there's nothing to hold onto on the other side) so I can't get the nut off,I'm thinking I'm gonna have to tack weld that bolt to get the nut off.But then the left front, I got the nut off with no problem but the bolt won't knock out of the leaf,do I need a bigger pursuader or is there something I'm missing(special tool?)Thanks in advance

2. flathead4d

flathead4d

Your right, that round headed bolt gives you nothing to hold onto. On the one that you got the nut off of, put the nut back on flush with the top of the bolt and use a bigger persuader. If you can get it to move about a quarter of an inch you can put a pair of vise grips on the rounded other end and twist it loose. On the one that just spins, either cut the nut off or tack weld it temporarly to the frame. Or, you can cut a slot in it with a hack saw or cutoff wheel.

3. extremist

extremist

As far as the bolts go, I sacrificed mine.... cut them off.

Have you gotten the shackles undone already?

Have you tried unloading those bolts with a jack under the diff, to get the weight off of them?

4. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I wouldn't try to pull the springs and diff all at the same time unless you were gonna monster garage it. Trying to be neat and tidey while taking out the entire rear suspension all at once doesnt sound like too much fun. Either torch em and run or take your time and remove piece by piece.

5. Scrap Heap

Scrap Heap

flathead4d is right, I used a cut off wheel to make a slot on the bolt head and with a little work it came out. I've used this method several times with good results.