Register now to get rid of these ads!

This person seems upset over a car deal...(ebay)... HAMB mentioned.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Junkyard Dog 32, Jan 25, 2007.

1. chilimac

chilimac

Harrison thats Appalachian American[​IMG]

2. screwtheman

screwtheman

You're going to help Groucho fight his speeding ticket, right? :D

3. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

If this whiney-assed buyer is such a car ACE as he claims - his long list of so-called classics for example, how did he NOT know this vehicle was NOT a #1 car? If he bought it sight unseen, he's a bigger idiot than the guy he's bitchin' about.

Hand him a crying towel, and stick him in the corner

dj

4. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Wow.
    I guess I will respond. I just want to put out some facts out there to keep my good name I have worked hard for the last 16 years bleeding and sweating over classic cars. I am just an old working class punk greaser risking everything I have to scrape by and live my dream and support my family the only way I know, and at the same time bending over backwards to be fair so I can sleep well at night.

Thanks for the support and common sense of HAMB readers. Check out www.sakowskimotors.com to see what we are all about. Check the classics section to see the 1964 Comet I sold these people. It is also in the tour section at the El Segundo Car Show on my website. They probably wouldn't want you to see the car I sold them , as is. Here is the ebay link to give more details on the car

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...MEUS:IT&viewitem=&item=110058341210&rd=1&rd=1

It really is / was a nice beautiful solid classic 1964 car.

Also check out the shop tour at www.sakowskimotors.com (you can get to the myspace site from there also). That way you can see if I seem like a sleezy car dealer.

Okay, here it goes. I am going to be really careful not to write anything slanderous or libel. These are just my thoughts as I quickly remember them. This is just a quick recap of some of what happened. Okay, I hope that is enough of a disclaimer.

Myself and others at my shop had driven the car a lot. A couple of hundred miles commuting and driving to shows in the car. It drove great. I have a lot of cars here, but I commuted in that one a lot because it was easy to drive and seemed so solid. These people came to see another car I had for sale. At that time they saw the Comet and fell in love with it. We took a long test drive. They claimed they used to have a classic car shøp and that they knew everything about cars. They put the car on jacks even. They went over the car with a fine tooth for a couple of hours. They loved the car. The only thing they found wrong with the car was an old transmission mount. I told them I would put a new trans mount on for them, and did.
    They came back, test drove the car and loved it. Drove away smiling.

Then they contacted me and said they wanted me to take the car back b/c there was a fuel leak. Strange. Really, it is as is, they checked it out even. It is a 1964 you know. But me, trying to make sure I am fair, said I would look at it for them b/c I knew it had to be very minor fix that I could quickly fix for them, and the screw in fuel filter was loose. I don't know how it could loosen by itself, strange. We tightened it, and gave it back to them. Worked great. They wanted me to take the car back b/c they said it was unsafe. I figured if an old car had a fuel leak, you just fix it yourself or have a shop do it for you.

Then they called later and said they didn't want the car anymore and that the trans didn't work. Strange, b/c it worked so great for me. I looked at it. Somehow the trans got ripped out since they had the car. I don't know why, but I said I would rebuild the trans and reinstall it for them for just $350 dollars, the parts. I am too nice. It seemed strange it went out, but it is a 64, you know. So they picked the car up, worked great. Just wanted to make sure I could sleep knowing I didn't screw anyone, but old cars do break all the time as I am sure you guys know. I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt, even though that is the risk you take when you check out, drive, etc an old car in person, love it, and drive it home. We just do the best we can, with the best cars we can find in that price range.

Then afterwords they drove the car no problem. Then they sent the car back saying that it was leaking gas everywhere it was. Some how the fuel pump diaphram had suddenly ripped spilling gas while it was sitting in their garage. I put on a new fuel pump for free. But it was also leaking from the carb. The inside of the carb had been taken apart so it overflowed fuel constantly. These pieces can't come apart unless the top of the carb is taken off. Strange how this could happen while sittiing in thier garage. This whole thing was getting really strange.
    Some people would say that everything including the trans were sabotaged because they didn't want this type of car anymore, and just mad I didn't take it back because it reaked of cigarette smoke once they brought it back to my shop among other reasons. I am not making any accusations online.

This has cost me a lot of time and money. I am just an old school shop who survives hand and mouth.
    I have sold probably 1,000 cars in the past 16 years, and worked on 1,000's of people's cars with this being the only incident like this. I guess you can't please everyone. I am usually very picky about who I do work for, or even sell a car to so I avoid certain types of people.

Oh, I also forgot they had the car towed back to us because the battery was dead. I did find an intermittant very slow drain that might have caused the problem. And fixed it for free. It might have just been that they had left a light on. Who knows.
    I can sleep well with how I run my business.
    Maybee I should only work on and sell new Honda's, but I just don't have it in me.

Hey, keep having fun with those crazy cars.

Wil Sakowski
    visit www.sakowskimotors.com

5. Degreaser

Degreaser

Great to hear your side Wil. I had a feeling there was more to it. Keep your chin up bro and keep movin' that old iron if it's what you love.

6. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Looks like the plan of mentioning his story to the HAMB (for whatever reason) has worked out completely opposite the way he would have wanted.

7. s.r.i.

s.r.i.
    from Hell

SakowskiMotors vbmenu_register("postmenu_1743172", true); I would talk to a lawyer. Some of the comments they made are slander and liable, and can affect your business (even if only one person read it). You have heavy grounds for a lawsuit. Copy that ad on ebay.

8. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

good to here both sides,got hands full. it will all work out for you and yours

9. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Krap - ebay pulled the ads looks like. Does anyone have them they can post or pm me?? I would like to read 'em. Two sides to every story, sometimes 3!!! Interesting stuff..... :)

10. Sounds like a stand-up explaination to me. Looks like a nice car too.
    I see no damage to your reputation.

I really wasn't trying to fuel a fire, so much as that the HAMB was brought up in the ads.

Welcome to the HAMB by the way...

JOE:cool:

11. Mojo

Mojo

Buyer's remorse? Sounds like sabatoge to me. Really knockout looking comet too.

12. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Hey
    Wil Sakowski / Sakowski Motors again.

When I sell a car, I just tell the buyer everything I know about the car. I even have a lift they can put it on to see under it. I also have jacks so we can look under it if that is all they want. We drive the car. I really put it though the paces for them. We get the car to operating temperature. I tap on all the metal of the car so they can see the condition of the body. I act like I am their paid mechanic. I want people to know everything that is not perfect with the car. I guess that is why I can sell a thousand cars without many unhappy people.

I encourage people to bring their own mechanic. I provide a safe place for people and or their mechanics to inspect the cars. It is a nice friendly atmosphere. They are welcome to spend all day on it if they like. Feel free.
    I even point out things that they or their mechanic missed. I am not a fortune teller. I can't say what might or might not break or when. Once people decide they want the car after a good inspection, it is their baby. I can't be responsible for old cars breaking, if that is really what happened. People are adults, I don't sell to minors. Once we as adults have considered all the pros and cons on a decision, and make that decision, we are responsible for our own actions and decisions. I have seen people driving cars held together with bubble gum just go and go for years. I have also seen old cars that are so solid have problems that no one would or could expect. Hey that is just part of the old car game. You make the best informed decision you can, you yourself are responsible for your choices, then you man up and live with them. If you don't buy a car with a warranty, you don't get one. (though I do help people a lot with my time, give free advice if they buy a car from me, but it is just my style, it is because I am just into seeing old cars on the road, I am not obligated to do anything after you make YOUR decision). Not if, but when your old car needs work pay us or someone else to fix it. Or fix it yourself.
    I help people way more than I should when I am pointing out flaws to possible buyers, and if people have trouble as happens with old cars, I help them if I can. If someone wants a warranty or no trouble pay up for a new Honda at the Honda Dealer.
    If you want to live the life, you are going to have to get greasy.
    I sure do.
    Wil
    visit www.sakowskimotors.com

13. Hey, I like that...and so true it should be. Strike a deal...both parties become happy, live with it. Find a mistake down the road...well, you should have done your homework.

Nice one Chevnut :)

14. roadracer

roadracer

Always good to hear both sides of the story. :)

15. CruZer

CruZer

There are so many wanna be's out there,it's scary. These buyers sound like they had no clue what they were buying.
    A friend of mine sold a '68 Camaro that he had cosmetically restored to a guy driving a beamer. ONE YEAR later, the guy demands his money back because he says the car was misrepresented as an RS/SS.He later admitted that he never should have bought a 4 speed car w/o power steering or brakes.
    Short story.... he sued my friend.It cost both of them lots in lawyers fees and the car went to a third party.The only guys who won were the lawyers.

16. wvenfield

wvenfield

Right, which is why Sikorski motors doesn't need to bother with a lawsuit. You are going to get the head case on occasion dealing with the public.

Part of doing business just as fixing an old car if you are going to drive one is.

Seems Sikorski Motors hasn't had any harm done by the rantings of one head case. Hopefull you will continue keeping these old cars alive for a long time and not have another head case for a long time either.

17. roadracer

roadracer

When I bought my 64 catalina from TX I was just pleased that it made it back to GA. You're taking a risk when you buy an old car of course, but at least I had a return ticket in case the car was misrepresented (I flew in, looked at the car and drove home)

Just like any "luxury" purchase, you have to be willing to walk away. Most people get caught up in the moment and only see the shiny bits.

This case was just silly even on first glance though, let alone after hearing Wil's side of it. A fuel leak furchrissakes?

18. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

I've known Wil a few years and he's a standup guy, like he says. The thing about L.A. is that it's full of f'n loons... it's inevitable you'll have to deal with them at some point. Ask me how I know...

Hey Wil... I hope things turn out alright for ya, man. I'm sure you've got some karma stashed up somewhere for shit like this...

-Sperry

19. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

The flakes are out there, and I feel for anyone in any kind of business dealing with the public. If you run a business sooner or later one will ruin your day. I had a customer (a Lawyer to boot) who threatened to sue me and Compaq because his new walmart computer broke and Compaq didn't have the part in stock. And I was just the warranty service center. Idiot....

20. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

>> Now I know not to sell anything to "abluedragonness".?<<

I sold a piece of door trim to a woman from a 46 Ford "long door coupe" for $25 on ebay. She tried to short me $1.70 on the paypal payment,which should have told me something. When she got it in she went through the roof,accusing me of lying when I said it didn't have any dings or dents,even going so far as to tell me,"If you had cleaned and polished it up before you sold it,you would have been able to clearly see a couple of dents in it when you hold it just right." She told me she was in the business of buying and selling NOS old car parts,and wanted a full refund including shipping because she couldn't sell it as NOS. On top of that she wanted to keep the PVC shipping tube I mailed it to her in because she said it was too heavy and the postage to use it cost too much.

This woman admitted that she buys used old car parts and then sells them as NOS parts,and then she turns around and accusses ME of ripping her off and left negative feedback for me. Everybody else that bought the trim from that car was thrilled with it.

BTW,I did NOT advertise it as NOS. I clearly said it was used trim off of a old parts car.

21. PRESKRYS

PRESKRYS

HAMB I want a refund!!!!!!

I know I did not pay anything and I know you guys let me advertise on here for free, also I know you have forums on here to help out car guys and give advice and help with any issues they may have.....

HOWEVER, I want a refund!
    I got headache from reading and that's just not right.

REFUND-HUNGER STRIKE-HANGNAIL?-BOYCOT.

Nah, just being Fisecious(spelling)??

HAMB rocks.

That hang nail is killing me right now though.

22. RedHeadSled

RedHeadSled

I think I might buy a car from that guy, the more you complain the more he fixes for free,theres not many if any dealers that would bend over back wards to try to please an as is deal. Most dealers would say its your problem now. Wil your to kind and you'll never please those customers,Good luck Dave.

23. PRESKRYS

PRESKRYS

That's its HAMB I want a refund!!!!

I know you don't charge anything and I know you let me sell for free and have tech tips, blah blah.
    But I got a serious Headache from all this reading and I won't stand for it.

(REFUND-HUNGER STRIKE-HANGNAIL?-BOYCOT-REFERENDEM-MUTINY)

just playin, I am being Fisecious(spelling)? HAMB rocks

:D

24. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

I have found that sometimes the best money you can loose is on a plane ticket.I have gone and looked at things that were misrepresented and not even the seller knew it was wrong.Worse case is to pay to get something shipped and find out you have been had.Unfortunately,I have found that most people screw themselves by assuming too much.When you are buying old stuff,remember it is old.
    To quote a Roman Chariot dealer "caveot emptor".

25. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

The ads on egobay have been pulled!

26. buying stuff "sight unseen" can really be risky. doing your homework and asking questions or requesting "better pic's" is usually the only resource's you have when buying online. common sense goes a long way. if i buy a car "sight unseen" it's usually junk and cheap!

27. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This guy sounds like the worlds greatest car dealer. I bought a 79 f-150 with a "390" engine, but after the timing chain broke, I found it was a 400. They said since the paperwork said nothing about the size of the engine, they had nothing to say to me. It was only painted on the windshield. If I had done my homework, I would know that the 390 was not available that year. MY BAD!!! The fact that the dealer was an ass did not change the fact that I bought an "AS IS" vehicle. These people are complete ass-badgers. I am sorry to say that ebay pulled the auction, just cause I would have liked to see their rant. Ebay may even ban them from buying or selling. Like many have said on here, If you buy an old car, expect failure of something!!!!!!!!!!

28. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SakowskiMotors - next time I am looking for a driver, I'm calling you.