Register now to get rid of these ads!

dodge v10 question figured someone here would know

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rayjon, Feb 15, 2007.

1. rayjon

rayjon
    from Reno Nv..

What are the basic differences between the early dodge v10 truck motors and the viper motors, I know the viper motor is aluminum and the intakes are different, and how much hp can the truck motor make???

the reason I ask is I found a really really clean 64 dodge pickup and the v10 would be a sweet swap....would be a great tow truck...

2. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

3. The two engines are completly different, except there both V-10's with 488 cubic inches. The V10 truck engine uses 360 rods and pistons, and the Viper is all by itself....Ed

4. rayjon

rayjon
    from Reno Nv..

do at least the cams/ valvetrain interchange???

5. rayjon

rayjon
    from Reno Nv..

do the cams/ valvetrain at least interchange

6. The truck V-10 uses the 360 V8 rockerarms, lifters, and pushrods. The Viper V-10 is all special to Viper only, nothing will enterchange between engines, except the oil filter. I worked for chrysler for 15 years, and was around when both of these engines came out, and was a chrysler certified tech, on vipers....Ed

7. rayjon

rayjon
    from Reno Nv..

Thanks... that was what I was looking for (not what I wanted to hear but.....),

BTW did you see any problems with the truck motors or were they reliable???

8. The only problems i have seen with the truck V-10, was the cylinder heads cracking. The castings are pretty thin, and like everything else, made in mexico. On a high mileage engine they also had problems with the fuel injectors. All in all there a pretty good engine, just try and get one with low mileage, if you can...Ed

9. chitbox dodge

chitbox dodge
    from dunlap tn

my brother was a chrysler service writer for a while. he said you cant keep a rear main seal in them, trucks that is. any of the magnum engines of that vintage were totally lackluster to me. they just cheapened up standard 318s 360s etc. it was really dissappointing when i finally got one.

10. Yea, the V-10 has the one piece rear main seal, and the first ones would leak. They came put with a seal that was made from a different material, and seem to fix the problem. If you still have a 318-360 magnum engine, and it started to use alot of oil, they have a problem with the plate thats bolts to the bottom of the intake manifold. The gasket blows out in between 5 & 7 cylinders, and sucks oil out of the lifter valley.

11. chitbox dodge

chitbox dodge
    from dunlap tn

yea that was one of the many issues with my 318 dakota. i swapped to my own fabbed aluminum piece instead of the steel sheet that was originally equipped. didnt keep it long enough to see if it was a perfect fix, but hensley racing used to make a kit that did more or less the same thing. that and plenty of aviation high tack.

12. The original gasket, was a thin black paper gasket, that didn't hold up. The revised gasket, was made from very thin metal, with a raised rib in the center of it. There should have been one more bolt in between the number 5 & 7 intake ports, holding that plate, to the manifold. The 3.9 V-6 magnum engine didn't have this problem, that the V8's did, due to the intake manifold being shorter.

13. heavytlc

heavytlc

I towed my race truck coast to coast many times with a 1995 v10 2500. It did ok, but was nothing compared to a full tilt cummins deisel. Unloaded it was a fun truck, in the rain it was stupid. The v10 trucks have an exhaust sound that reminds me of chewing on aluminium foil. Viper v10's are not the same, they are cool in there own way. The same way that I find red headed, green eyed women sexy.

My opinion, I think a sbc would be cooler than a v10. It is not a very good looking engine for a vintage ride, and for the time,money,hassle you could do better.

14. rodbuilder

rodbuilder

This is kinda off topic for this site, but someone asked, and I have some info. I never post my modern projects on here.

I have a car in the shop right now, its kinda odd 83 Chrysler Imperial and I am putting in a truck V 10, the customer wanted a big engine, but wanted it sleeper looking, so he picked up a truck engine, cuase it was cheaper, and the intake is more OEM looking than a viper engine when you first open the hood. I had to rework all the k frame, inner panles, move radiator support forward, section hood latching stuff, slice hood and bring it up cowl style a little, we running truck radiator, truck pump. It has been the hardest project I have done!! Trying to keep it all facotry looking, even when you open the hood most don't even notice its got extra cylinders. The downside is not harness kits, the Viper you can get stand alone computer and harness, but this will have to be all wired from the start, and no I am not doing the wiring...LOL!! The customer also liked the torque numbers better than the earlier Viper engines he came across. This car will be super sleeper, and might make a trip to the Sliver State road race in Nevada when done...we also did road race a arms, huge brakes, thatyou can adjust the front to back bias from the driver seats, so if you go into a corner and need a different brake bias, you can adjust it going done the straight, also had new leaks made from Eaton to lower the rear, and all custom sway bars. So if you are in the St. Louis area this summer and pull uo next to a black hammered down 83 Imperial, do not lay money down to race....

15. chitbox dodge

chitbox dodge
    from dunlap tn

your customer is a weirdo

16. rayjon

rayjon
    from Reno Nv..

weird... but as long as you are getting paid for it........its all good...

The reason the v10 came up is we are looking for a good motor to go in place of the old schood 318 poly/ 3spd that is in this 64 pickup, wonder what kind of mods you can do to the truck motor that may get it down the road a little better, I cant seem to find any cams, I have found headers and some other small stuff... may be better off going with a newer 5.7 Hemi ..

any suggestions... its a 64 dodge half ton sweepside...

I have a newer cummins for the heavy stuff this is just a fun run arround truck...

17. 2manybillz

2manybillz

How 'bout a b or rb, I think one would about fall in with all stock parts.

18. ka-zoo

ka-zoo

I love sweptside dodge trucks... dont seem to see very many of them done nicely though. Shortbed ones look equally cool lifted or lowered!

19. I have a V-10 in my work truck. I drive it every day. It has 140K on the odometer. I have learned to love and hate this engine!
    First off, when I bought it in '01 I was forced into it by finances, wanted a dodge, period.
    Secondly, I was never overly impressed with the power. It weighs in at 8700#s and it has 35" tires. It desperately needs a gear change.
    Third, at 114,000 a rocker arm bolt broke. While repairing we found that both heads were craked!! At $900 per head from Dodge I decided to get a rebuilt engine.
    Now here is were the fun begins!
    I wanted more power so I did some research and found a company that offered a performance V-10. It has 450hp and 560#s of torque:rolleyes: . So I figured this would work for me.
    We installed it and within less than 200 miles another rocker arm bolt broke!
    I'm pissed!!!
    I call the company they tell me it's not covered under warranty. I was floored. I battled with these idiots for a month over this.
    Finally, They realized that I was a "Performance" customer that's when everything changed. They sent me ARP replacement bolts. We put everything together and its been fine since.
    The "Performanace" part of this story is OK. It has plenty of power on tap and feels the same under most loads I carry as when unloaded. Under heavy loads it can haul when pushed. I must admit that my foot is in it all the time (ride with me, I'm an idiot) but I enjoy power.
    The "Sound"!! I hate the stock V-10 sound. My exhaust is 3" from the headers to the tail pipes. The mufflers are Meineke brand "Flowmaster" style. I have heard Flowmasters with V-10s and they sound like shit. I love the sound of my truck. It sounds totally different than everything else. It is very deep toned and sounds better than most Vipers I've heard.
    I like my V-10 but wished I would have done a diesel conversion instead of spending all the money on rebuilding an engine.
    I would love to see a non-computerized V-10 that doesn't have fuel injection and has a log style intake with 10 carbs but I don't believe that it is possible with it's ignition system.
    I would opt for a 440 or 383 before the V-10.

BloodyKnuckles