Register now to get rid of these ads!

70's style hotrods? pics?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by myke, Feb 11, 2007.

1. myke

myke
    from SoCal

Does anyone have any pics of some 70's style hotrods? or maybe some links to sites that might have them.

I know it's a little off topic but I am curious on what the style looks like.

Thanks!

2. This pic was taken at the 73 nationals in tulsa.

Attached Files:

3. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

They were pretty much the same cars that we had before and after the 70s.....but they had these flowery, faggy paint schemes...............

4. ScapeGoat

ScapeGoat
    from Canada

Metallic brown paint, crushed velvet upholstery, chain link steering wheels and...guys!?! wearing bell bottoms or short-shorts? ....don't wish too hard...you might get what you ask for!

Attached Files:

5. Da Injun

Da Injun

Not everything was so bad. I have 1000's of old magazines going back to the 50's and have ignored the 70's magazines that I had stored. Recently I start pulling them out and looking. True, alot of those cars where pretty pathetic looking but more then a few had some good looks. Now when we get to the early 80's we have some horrible, horrible looking machinery. But as the old saying goes on opinions....

6. I was 22 in '72 and had a '37 Chevy with a 283, 4 speed and a Pontiac rear end. Wish I still had it today but you can't keep 'um all. It DID have white lace paint over blue metalic with blue tuck and roll and blue tinted windows. Sounds pretty bad now but in San Jose in 1972, I got lotsa ladies. Buuahahaha...

Life was good.

7. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

I built my 37 coupe starting in 78---I did it cause most of the "hot rods" of the day made me want to puke---the mile-high front ends--tires too wide---"root beer brown"---velvet seats,etc.So I mixed the 50's--60's and built my coupe REALLY different than most people were at the time. I got to see them film The California Kid movie--just a few miles from where I live---so you can guess how my idea of building cars came about.

Attached Files:

8. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

Attached Files:

9. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Its not really an appreciated time in hot rods but everything comes back in style eventually.

Here one of my favs...

[​IMG]

10. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Is this truck still around? I love it.

11. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Uh yeah should still be around, it was on ebay couple years. I wanted it real bad but didn't have room for it. If I remember right it was in so cal. Had an old cad motor in it with a buttoned black vinyl interior. I can dig more photos up if you want em. John

12. Da Injun

Da Injun

Now that sounds bad ass. Any pictures?

13. zgears

zgears

No Thanks, Please Delete This Thread.

14. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Ouch....no respect.

I found an interior shot

[​IMG]

15. ScapeGoat

ScapeGoat
    from Canada

Reminded me of this.......c'mon everybody let's get happy!

Attached Files:

16. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Dads old bucket. Pics are dated 1976. I'll pay a finders fee if you can track it down. The gears were angle cut which made for a crazy howl when driven. It had a 4 speed which if the hard on the gas would break the tires loose in all four gears. The gas tank is located under the seat, and I could have sworn my dad said the filler neck was molded right into the body. The battery was under the floorboard, but didn't drop below the frame rails so it wasn't visible from the side. It was painted by a guy named Mike Dwight somewhere in northern California. Black button tuck interior, brass thermometer, 18x2.5 spindle mounts by american, turn signals in the lights mounted on the cowl. Last sold to a fire fighter in Mountain View.

Attached Files:

17. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I love it.
    70's were really awful in so many respects, but really, I have a lot of great memories of that decade (my childhood). Many of the cars were horrible, it's true, but many of my all time favorites are from this era.

18. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

This car is owned by a friend of mine. He built it in the 50's or 60's. It was candy apple red then (I assume in the 70's) he put the wheels and new paint on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AHotRod likes this.
  19. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

I sure wish i could have been a hot rodder in the 30's-early 50's
    but i dont regret not being able to live through the 60's-70's-etc....phew!:eek:

atleast not everyone fell off the boat entirely
    [​IMG]

20. I love this one (especially the tires), no idea where I found it.

Attached Files:

21. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

I didn't know 70's hotrods had style.

LSD and pot were cheap then.

22. Dude.......does he want to sell??????????? I like.....weird

23. Think... "brown"

JOE:cool:

24. Binlurkin

Binlurkin
    from HBG, PA

I kind of have a soft spot in my heart for some of the late 60s early 70s stuff.I first found out about hot/street rods when I was a kid and my uncle would give me his R&c magazine when he was done with them.And one of my favorites has aiways been the Dick Graves 27T touring car.I would like to build a clone or recreation or what ever you want to call it, someday.But being old and wiser now I have hard spot in my pants for 40s stlye stuff!! hahah

25. streetfreakmustang

streetfreakmustang
    BANNED
    from Ohio

70's style rods are going to make a comeback. For one guys will tire of building belly button 50's style cars and 50's speed parts will become hard to find. No, 70's were not all brown and had chain link steering wheels and funky paint.

There was a lot of tastful 70's style cars built back in the day.

26. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

I dont think he'll ever sell it.

27. 4t64rd, the T tub belonged to Richard Graves. He also built an 09 T tub that was in the mags back then and the 32 unfinished tub running in the rain on the cover of Rod and Custom for their vintage tin special issue. All the rods in the 70's weren't weird paint and crushed velvet interiors. On the west coast of Canada in Vancouver the cars were either black or maroon for the most part and resto rod style with steelies or mags. Interiors were very seldom crushed velvet although I am sure there were some around. Cars looked very similar to todays nostalgia stuff. Pat.

28. stratocaster

stratocaster

Metallic brown! Yuck. -Strat.

29. JamesG

JamesG