Register now to get rid of these ads!

4-1/2" Grinder - Does anybody make on that lasts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4t64rd, Feb 7, 2007.

1. I burned up my $80 Sears grinder in about 6 months, so I bought a Harbor Freight $20 that lasted abou the same, so I bought two more, lasted 6 months each. The last two both bit it last night, one the gears stripped and the other just started smoking and won't spin.

Does anybody make one that won't die up in 6 months?

2. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

i have a milwalkee and a Bosch that ive had for years, and they have been uesed HARD. weve replaced the switch in the milwalkee one i bet 4 times....

never had a problem...

3. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I have a dewault that I've used for years. great piece. the thing with 4 1/2 inch grinders is they usually aren't made for heavy hard work. if you are going to be hogging on some heavy steel for extended periods you are much better off with the bigger wheel that last longer and is built to take the punishment.

4. B-Man

B-Man

Mine's a Dewalt. I have had it for years. I don't use it daily, but I do use it heavily on weekends. I've had good luck with my Dewalt stuff even though I hear negatives from folks about them. I've also had pretty good luck with Makita stuff and even Porter Cable. Never tried Milwaukee.

5. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

I have a Makita that is 10 years old, only a four inch and never had a problem. Just bought a DeWalt and it seems to be a good one.
    As mentioned in the above post, let these little grinders do the work, when you start forcing, hogging one of these, they do not last long.
    My next door neighbor goes through one a year and it does not matter what brand. He does use his more than me and that probably has something to do with it.

6. spudsmania9

spudsmania9
    from Arkansas

So far so good with my Bosch. First one I've had that lasted. I got it ($low buck$) :Das factory refurb on Amazon.com of all places

7. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

We have two 4.5 inch Milwakee grinders in the shop that are 4-5 years old. They get used and abused every day.

8. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

I have no less than 6 Harbor Freights at any given time. Different consumables on each one, flap disk, cutoff wheel, grinder disk, wire cup.
    They last for what seems like ever for me. And at $20ish a pop you can't go wrong.

9. Keys to angle grinder longevity:

Duty cycle
    Pressure
    Quality flap discs/wheels/etc (consumables)
    Periodic examination/cleaning/maintenance

10. junkmonger

junkmonger

I use a Metabo 7" grinder ($267) for most stuff, and a harbor freight 4 1/2 for the little spots. At $20 each they're disposable. It helps if you blow them out occasionally.:D

11. Dewalt and Milwaukee here.
    Been beating the crap out of them for 10 and 15 years respectively.

12. DLW

DLW

I have a bosch that I have abused, motor has been overheated and still keeps going.

13. raffman

raffman

Milwakee is the best. We went through a lot of power tools when I worked construction. All kinds of abuse from workers that didn't give a shit. Can tell ya that milwakee held up best, dewalt gear drive circular saws too.
    Your not using yours on a generator are you? low amps especially with under sized extention cords will kill a power tool. You might want to check your power supply.

14. I have a Makita that is 20 years old. Problem is I don't think they make that model any more. I just keep replacing the cord when it cracks! Stu

15. Cummings Tool sells them for $9.99 a pop. They last me right about 6 mos. too, unless I'm really leaning on it. At that price, 6 mos is cool. I had a nice name brand one, like the $80- one & it burned up just as fast and even though they sold individual pieces to repair it, the Cummings tool was still just more affordable. Carl Hagan

16. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I've had Makita, Dewalt (Black & Decker) Milwaukee, and burned them all up.
    The guy at the tool store says I'm harder on tools than any of his other customers. He set me up with a Metabo. Pricey.
    I've had the METABO for over 2 yrs now and it still works like new. I recommend it highly.

17. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I have a $30 Ryobi, burned one up and HD gave me a new one. This one has lasted, and I have had it for about a year now.

18. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

The words "Sears" and "Harbor Freight" are what's causing your trouble.

The tool store I work at sells the same grinders as harbor freight but with our name on them. I have 3 and I just swap them out when they break down. For $20.00 who cares what happens.

The other option as was said is buy a good grinder. DeWalt, Bosch, Metabo, Makita and Milwaukee are all very good grinders. I service them every day (we are a warranty depot for everyone but Bosch) and they all seem like good grinders.

The makita 4 1/2" variable speed grinder does have some problems and will burn up if you work it hard.

Shawn

19. I've got a Porter Cable, so far, so good after 4 years. About $80 at Sams.

Metabo tools are good as well- I've got some of their woodworking gear.

20. what fenders

what fenders

Milwaukee's won't die at least i can't kill one look for the one's with the higher amp rating

21. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I buy the Black & DEcker at Wally World, they are $26.00 and they have a two year warranty. I have several as I don't like changeing to wire brush ,flap wheel ect. all the time. I have probably warrantied 5 in the last year. No hassel just trade it and get a new receipt.

22. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

I went through four HB grinders and then I bought the current Craftsman model that I have now. I've had it now for almost a year, abusing it heavily all weekend long and it's great. Never gets hot and the balance it perfect. I've broken several of the HB chuck wrenches and the Craftsman wrench seems to be twice wrench of what the HB were. Providing I don't loose it, I'll prolly never break it. Damn near eight foot of cord too...

Vance

23. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

dewalts been my favorite so far too,
    although this is my 3rd one in 7 years.
    (wiped out a makita and a milwaukee too!)

The dewalts have a great paddle switch, are very light,
    and the motor sounds solid.
    The Milwaukees, although more amps,
    sound like shit, and are heavy and large for a small grinder.

I'd like to get a Metabo next,
    but for the price I could get 2 dewalts.

i like grinding!
    TP

24. rodknocker

rodknocker

i have had the same one for about 2 years, been using it lately to strip my 50, 1/2 way done with no issues

25. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

No one mentioned Hilti, so far. I've had mine for many years. Next best was Metabo. Killed Hitachi, Makita, Milwaukee...

26. rodknocker

rodknocker

thats a 7" grinder

27. I know, somebody mentioned that a bigger wheel would take the punishment I intend dish out.

28. tchurch

tchurch

Metabo: I am on my second year with it. This unit gets hard use almost everyday. Burnt up my DeWalt in 1 year. We have a Hitachi that is almost as old as the Met, but I don't like the feel. A bit heavy and feels bulky in the hand.

http://www.studerindustrial.com for a good price!

29. heavytlc

heavytlc

I have 5 milwaukee 4.5's, 4 dewalts, and a 16yr old 4"makita. I burn up on average 1 milwaukee a year. The Dewalts are not as nice, and have far less power, they are 1/2 the price. The Dewalts are not used with a grinding disk. The biggest killer I have found is grinding wheels. I use flap wheels almost all the time. The high quality flap wheels are a bit pricey, but the better finish is worth it to me. It is also are far easier to control the amount of material you remove with a flap wheel.

Fo using a 4.5" grinder with a cutting wheel, the thinner the wheel the easier it is for the grinder to cut. Just make sure to wear a full face shield, the thinner wheels will fracture much easier.