Register now to get rid of these ads!

Polishing compounds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sincity57, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Sincity57

Sincity57
    from Austin

I bought a couple compunds from our friends at English Custom Polish (Stainless Steel Fine and Chromium Oxide), and can't remember which is which. One is green and the other grey. Anyone have a clue, cause I don't?

2. raffman

raffman

Stainless coarse is black and the green is fine.

3. andysdeuce

andysdeuce
    Member Emeritus

You will want to use the grey bar first with a spiral bound wheel to begin with on stainless. You then will finish buff with the green bar with a loose woven wheel to finish buff the piece.

4. Sincity57

Sincity57
    from Austin

Thanks for the help!

5. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

I was polishing a brass fitting yesterday and the buffing wheel caught the edge went flying across the room and got in beted into the wall. It was funny. Then I was grinding and the sparks were flying every where and it caught the buffing wheel on fire. I couldn't beleive how fast that wheel went up in to flames. but I here that this kind of stuff happens to every one right?:D

6. polisher

polisher
    Alliance Vendor

If you have fine stainless it is the lighter green of the two and has rounded tops and corners on it.
    I use those as a reference for when the name is worn out.
    Coarse stainless is a blackish grey bar.
    The Chromium oxide is Darker green in color than fine stainless and has square edges all round.
    Once the get old and dirty color can appear to be the same.
    In use you'll also find the chrome oxide is drier and dustier.
    For best results slowdown when doing your final buff.
    We do our finish buffing at around 1000 rpm.
    We cut with the coarse stainless anywhere between 3000 and 3500, using 8" wheels.

7. Sincity57

Sincity57
    from Austin

Man you better be careful! You're gonna burn the house down. I haven't had the wheel carch on fire yet, but i have had a couple things ripped outta my hands and fly across the room. You're standind there, polishing away, thinking about how cool the part is going to look when it's done. The next thing you know, you're no longer holding the piece, it's disappeaared, and you hear this banging as you see something shinny ricochet of a couple walls. After a second of dumbfoundedness, you realize that was the part you were polishing. You gather yourself, pick the piece up, and check to see how much work it's goingt o take to fix whatever happened in its flight.

8. Sincity57

Sincity57
    from Austin

I must have the coarse stainless and the fine stainless, rather than fine and chromium. I'm using the coarse on the sewn wheel and the fine on the soft cotton wheel. The stainless is coming out awesome. What do you think?

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q141/sincity57/2007-01-28017.jpg
    http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q141/sincity57/2007-01-28011.jpg