Register now to get rid of these ads!

jeep rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thrasher, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john56h

john56h

I think this is more of a "custom" than a hot rod...LOL

[​IMG]

2. SilentMind415

SilentMind415
    from Stockton

Heres the one Toyota built for the last SEMA show.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. DRD57

DRD57

Looks like someone was tired of freezing their ass off while plowing snow and decided to remedy the situation with whatever was at hand.

4. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Its a CJ7 tub that i photo chopped. The back has been raised about three inches or so to be the same heigth as the cowl, and most of the "bed" was sectioned out. Needs doors.

Like a year ago, I found a jeep tub next to a guy's house, he wanted $20.00 for it. So I think I'll go after it now.

5. ScapeGoat

ScapeGoat
    from Canada

You can buy repro metal tubs for early years for around $1500....try getting a deuce for 6x that.

6. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Dunno, I just think its convinent that CJ's have a similair cowl to T's and A's. Maybe a little too wide, but their about as close to a cheap early body as you can get without going to the desert.

7. ScapeGoat

ScapeGoat
    from Canada

My point exactly...maybe I should rephrase- good luck getting any early ford for less than 6x the cost of a jeep. Really, a jeep was a 'modernized' model T/A even back in 1940.

8. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Oh...its alright, know what you meant.

Their just basic, and...very much like a slightly modernized 4x4 T/A. Our CJ7 was cheap, mostly fabricated, and pretty entertaining.

So with a few Sawzall blades, a couple of welds, and some engineering, you could have a decent looking early body.

9. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Another appropriate analogy, since most off-roading in the pre-WWII era would've been handled with Model Ts and (to a lesser extent) As. Isn't it funny how most American auto hobbiests can trace their roots back to the Flivver?

-Dave

10. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

That's why I try to stick with manuals, but as mentioned, my earliest is a '53 manual. The data on jeep.com is supposedly from a W/O employee whose job it was to record production numbers...

W/O, like Ford in the very early days, was a frugal company so probably used up parts well into following years too - complicating researching any "facts" - add to it W/O record keeping was poor and you've challenged the restorers a great deal.

Good thing we're not restorers!:D

11. Rocknrod

Rocknrod
    from NC, USA

A chopped wagon would be different...

12. ScapeGoat

ScapeGoat
    from Canada

I used to draw a lot of what you could call contempory revisions of older cars-like a 2000 Tucker or a 2000 mercury with 49-50 design cues etc. back when it was 'new-to-do'. When I tried to update the model T/A to modern specs I essentially kept coming up with the same result...a new jeep.

13. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

I just picked up this little gem. Should make for a bitchin' rat rod! :eek: OK, just kidding. I bought it 'cause it has a 350/350 combo for the '39 Ford coupe I got a while back. May be other stuff I haven't even thought of yet. :D Mike

Attached Files:

14. Appleseed

Appleseed

Anyone else think that the Toyota is pretty spot on? I know they didn't rod trucks in Japan back then, but its a least realistic and not a cartoon like some things I've seen.

15. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i dunno bout the truck as a whole, but the MILL does it for me :cool:

16. chevy400ci

chevy400ci
    from Kansas

that thing is freakin awesome, what year and exact model is it.

17. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

Kenny (choprods) did a MEAN ass wagon chop a few years ago. . . i have a pic of it someplace. . . VERY subtle in how the chop was done. . . even stumped me and i was looking at my unchopped PU at the same time as looking at his chopped wagon. (WS posts, cowl and doors have the same shape and location on both)

Flat Ernie, yea... i am REAL glad i dont paint inside the lines like the restorers do. . . altho i DO get a ton of shit from the purists about my truck in general, but when they hear it was an OG 2WD version... shit they hit the ceiling! :D

wait till they hear i plan on using the front axle on a HAMB gas rail job :eek: :p :cool:

18. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

mid/late 60's? close to it for sure. friend of mine had a similar body style/lines toyota years ago, was the "land rover" kinda bronco body tho... had a 454 chev in it. . . called it the "ChevOta" :D plates on it were wisconsin CHEVOTA

19. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

It's a Toyota Land Cruiser, isn't it?

20. TINGLER

TINGLER

That Toyota rules.

If I ever get around to finishing the Willys, that's how clean I want it to be.

21. Scott K

Scott K

slightly o/t, but I've been jonesin' for one of these jeeps for a hauler.

Attached Files:

22. Faded Love Garage

Faded Love Garage
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring, TX

I figured Crow would have posted this already but,

Attached Files:

23. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

that chopped white wagon is the one Kenny sliced n diced

24. wavy

wavy

I am currently installing a EFI 5.0 in a 49 2 wheel drive Willys P/U. The donor was a 87 Mark VII Lincoln. I am not sure the differents in the frames from 49's and Mid 50's

25. heavytlc

heavytlc

The Toyota is based on a fj45 truck cab. It could be US pre1967 with 1975 up doors,1979-upgrill. Or it could be a Non US model 1975 and later. It would look better with a early-1978 grill.

I will say the truck cab could be as old as 1962, so it almost makes it ok to post it here............... No it is still wrong.

26. ScapeGoat

ScapeGoat
    from Canada

Neat the way the front cut looks like a skull.

27. oldtin

oldtin

Here are a couple older picks of my Willys Utilities.....don't have any current pics.
    The green wagon is a 56 with a 365 hp chevy 327, dana 44 posi with 4.27:1 gearing. Since the picture I've lowered it, converted it to 2 wheel drive and removed all the offroad junk that was bolted onto it.

The 58 yellow pick up is nearly bone stock with a willys super hurricane 226 6 popper 5.88:1 gears and was converted new to run railroad tracks by Fairmount in Fairmount, MN.
    I haven't decided yet if I'm going to rod the pickup, maybe build it gasser style or leave it alone, maybe sell it off.

Attached Files:

28. KY Boy

KY Boy

Google CJ10. They were aircraft tugs for the military, among other things. Just a short truck tub exactly as above. I know i have seen the tubs for sale in fiberglass recently...just cant remember where. Yeah, I'm looking.

29. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

[​IMG]

Those are pretty interesting. But I was thinking something more along the lines of a cheap way to build a 'bucket type thing.

30. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Just found out the 2WD Jeeps that look like a CJ2A have a name: Jeep DJ or "Dispatch." They were designed for the Postal Service but Jeep marketed the pink, blue and green ones to resorts.

[​IMG]

-Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.