Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T Where to live in Los Angeles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tattooedup37, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tattooedup37

tattooedup37

OK guys i asked in a thread about a week ago where in SoCal would be a good place to live. Now my union has told me I am going to be able to transfer to LA alot easier than SanDog. Anyways, where is a somewhat reasonable (commuting wise) place to live. Also I can afford about $1300-$1800 a month for rent. So if you guys aren't sick and tired of me askin' about cali please help........

2. Steve

Steve

where in la would you be working?

3. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

I hope it works out for you but shit ive never payed over about 600 bucks a month for a house let alone 1800 for rent. Sum bitch... Dunno what you do for a living but i wish i had that kind of cash available ... :) good luck.. and its gotta be fucking warmer there than it is here..........
    Dave

4. tattooedup37

tattooedup37

East to west north to south. I am a union ironworker so my jobs change all the time

5. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

PM'd you about this.

RRR

6. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I'd live in Simi Valley if had a chance

7. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

i lived in simi i was paying 2 grand a monthin rent for a house. simi is nothing but retired cops and active duty cops. needless to say i was there 3 hours when i got pulled over.

8. fiveofeen

fiveofeen

my girlfriend is in burbank, walking distance from bob's big boy and its $1100 a month for a nice 2 bedroom apartment. I dig it, it even has a tiny garage. I'll be there in 2 years.

9. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

I live on the eastside, 90039. I have lived all over LA, from Santa Monica to the Valley, and I like where I am now the best. I'm 5 minutes from Burbank, Hollywood, downtown, and Pasadena.

Punch the zip into mapquest and check it out, it'a also affordable.

10. daveyboy56

daveyboy56

Well Valencia is north of L.A. about 35 miles nice place to live but rent for a home here is nuts $1900- $4500
    My kids have a 1 bed room apt and it's $920
    but now today it got 70 here:) so you pay for the heat lol
    BTW i paid $200k for a 4 bedroom home in 1995 now it's selling for $650k
    10 more years and i cash out. And move to UTAH!!!
    Dave

11. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

LA traffic is NO joke. If you have some sort of idea of where you might be called to work it would really help in deciding were to live.

I live in El Monte in the norther part. It's old people and old houses. But Pasadena is my favorite area. Whittier is also really cool.

12. zazu

zazu

Glendale, Burbank or Pasadena.

13. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I'm a Hollywood guy, have been here for 15 years, but I don't know if you could rent anything "nice" in your price range, here, anymore.
    The Valley, Burbank, perhaps.

14. ryno

ryno

i lived in simi valley most of my life,just moved out of there 2 years ago.did the whole "cash out shit".wish i never did.nice town for raising kids if that is a issue with you.

15. old beet

old beet

You SoCal guys are nuts! I have an acre on the lake, costs me $405 including home owners. I pay high interest (11%) but none will refinace cause I only owe 19K. Also not a good speller. But I love yer weather.......OLDBEET

16. OLLIN

OLLIN

stay away from having to commute on the 405 freeway what ever you do!

for $1,300-$1,800 you could probably rent a small house in a lot of areas in just ok neighborhoods., the closer you get to the ocean (usually) its more expensive.
    In santa monica you would probably get a 2-3 bedroom apt. for that much rent.

17. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

Fontana/ Ontario area for that $$, do you speak spanish yet? <grin>

18. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

How many iron worker jobs are there? ;)

19. tattooedup37

tattooedup37

none

20. tattooedup37

tattooedup37

actually he lives baout 30 minutes north of seattle so there are a lot of jobs

21. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

my parents live in simi valley. if you're looking for a bland surburbia, corp chain & track home boxed community that's white washed-- then that's your place. with all the cops there, its safe though. my parents like it.

Before i moved to the bay area, i lived in east hollywood towards Los Feliz area (hollywood blvd / vermont.) A great area, but i belive pricing has gone pretty crazy. You can go further in for better pricing. Hell, i even hear that Echo Park is getting nice (and pricey.)

I also used to like (im not down there enough nowadays to be a current judge) some areas of Long Beach and Huntington Beach, if you're looking to costal areas of LA.

-scott noteboom

22. lgh1157

lgh1157

I think im moving to the LBC, i like San Pedro alot,... .. . . .. . yah know, Mike watt and all that :D

L

23. tattooedup37

tattooedup37

Thanks for all the responses. I have been lookin' @ Glendora all night what is that city like???

24. I feel ya on the not knowing where you're going to be working thing, I'm a Union pipefitter and when I was in LA I was everywhere from Ventura to Palm Springs, Valencia to Irvine, I lived in Fullerton, I really liked it, I had a nice house, huge backyard and small garage for $1400 a month, 30 mins from downtown LA, an hour from anything else. Check it out. Glendora is a bit farther East than I'd want to be, but it's nice there too.

25. Von Scott

Von Scott
    from fresno,ca

I lived in HB and Fullerton, but that was a few years ago. I'm in Fresno now. All good places to live. I'm a transplant from MI in the 80's. Make sure you laugh at those people who say it's hot and humid in LA area in the summer. I think I should have gone into ironwork instead of pest control, then I'd still be able to afford to live in the OC. Good Luck with your move.

26. TooManyProjects

TooManyProjects

If you want to expand your search a little and depending on where the actual work is, think about Orange County too.

27. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

For what you wanna spend, you can pretty much get at minimum a 1 bedroom almost anywhere you wanna live. The other factor is garage space, do you need it, and how many cars you wanna have. Parking is at a premium anywhere you go in LA, with signs and restrictions and permits all over the place.

The rest is kinda a matter of preference. Some people have suggested places I'd never wanna live, but it works for them. Glendora would be way too far out from LA for me, not to mention what the hell is out there, but maybe you dig that lifestyle.

You gotta tell us what you want man, and we can tell you where to go ;-)

28. 390kid

390kid

i like the simi valley, chatsworth area nice and mellow. the cops arent bad if youre not doin stupid shit. your 30-45 minutes from hollywood and the beach. lots of good lookin girls too.

29. tattooedup37

tattooedup37

As far as my search options they are open to anything that is somewhat safe (*daughter*) and not unreasonably expensive. I do need a shop/garage. 2 car or more would be nice but not required. And Glendore is only 30 miles from the center of LA. so really anything within 1 hours commute would be ok. Minimum of 2 br though. The (San Gabriel Valley) area seems nice

30. 390kid

390kid

simi is safe, good schools, lots of cars and 35 min from downtown pretty easy commute goin both ways as long as you stay off the 405

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.