Register now to get rid of these ads!

Grill Shell Suggestions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Richard D, Jan 31, 2007.

1. I am looking for a grill shell similar to this:
    39 dodge grill.jpg
    1939 Dodge
    After installing my crossmember where the fan would clear, I have too much space between the fan and Model A grill. The grill needs to be in front of the crossmember to hide the airbags. I want to move the back edge of the grill shell back over the crossmember, to avoid building a huge fan shroud. I really like the Hudson Terraplane, but I'm poor.:( The Dodge grill above would look cool, or something similar, I'm open minded. Anybody got some interesting ideas?
    I posted in the Wanted section, but don't know what specific make and model to look for.
    [​IMG]

2. sodas38

sodas38

I have seen some neat stuff being used.
    *1938 Plymouth
    *1937 Plymouth
    *1938 Dodge
    *1939 Dodge
    Tons of others....

3. why not a 34 plymouth?they lay back some,and are a bit "thicker" compared to the A you´ve got now.

found this,not my favorite style car,but it gives a good idea how the grilleshell looks on a fenderless rod
    http://www.hotrodders.com/vehicles/30.html

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

An Anglia grille would look cool... I remember seeing a black chopped down sedan drag car with a huge motor that had one in TRJ. I think it's sister's with the purple people eater... very cool, both!

5. 2manybillz

2manybillz

I think a Fiat nose would look good, don't know about finding a steel one though.

6. overthehillracer

overthehillracer

If you like the look, a speedway nose might look good, & fill up your space.

7. sodas38

sodas38

Other options but of course a little tougher to find:
    37 Pontiac
    37 Terraplane
    easier to find
    39 Chevy
    34-35 Chevy (and fab on additonal surround)

You could always make your own....

8. john56h

john56h

How about something like this:

[​IMG]
    1956 David-Bradley tractor

9. tdoty

tdoty

I think a modified Bradley grille would look awesome! I almost bought one at an auction last year - just to cut up. Once the collectors jumped in, I figured it wasn't worth that much to me, just to cut up.

I've got a line on one of those collectors who might let me make some patterns off one to fab up a new piece.

I agree with the "make your own" comment, but, then again, I aspire to be a metalshaper in my spare time ...................

Tim D.

Tim D.

10. If I could only find one...

11. A pair of 40 for hoods or some shaped like them. Put the two points together ( one on its top and one right side up) and weld 'em. I don't recall who :eek: but way back when someone did it to a salt car.

You can always cut some reliefs and put some sort of louvres or grills in there, shape the back side as necessary. You'll end up useinf about the front 1/4 to 1/3 of the hoods.

12. I think I know where there is oneof those, they're really narrow though

13. Thanks, fellas. I found a '39 Dodge, a little different than the one above, and I think it will work nicely.

14. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

how About This One?

Attached Files:

15. zombie77

zombie77

I have that exact grill shell give me a call 510-827-7428

16. 49oldscoupe

49oldscoupe

I don't recall who :eek: but way back when someone did it to a salt car.

Porknbeaner,

I think you may be refering to the Chrisman Brothers coupe.

Attached Files:

17. The Hard Way

The Hard Way

The November cover of Rod & Custom used a '38 case tractor grille. That's just another possible source to add to your ever-growing list.

18. Flatman

Flatman

I don't recall who :eek: but way back when someone did it to a salt car.

A guy named Bob Goreman did the '40 hood thing on his Bantam salt racer in or around '58. It went through several evolutions. I think it was a popular mod and an easy way to aerodynamics:D

Flatman