Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any PA HAMBer's running street rod plates?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sacred_piston, Nov 14, 2006.

1. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

That sucks:( !! I hope you get your plate,but ,if you get rejected,will they return all of your paperwork,pics,and title?? Probably not.....then you are really screwed.

2. joeybsyc

joeybsyc
    from PA

I've heard that they will return everything you sent if they reject you, but then again i also heard i could walk in to the PennDot building and get a title and plate in person, so who knows what's fact and what's fiction... One things for sure, I'll know how it really works when this is all over.

3. joeybsyc

joeybsyc
    from PA

At least I have something to watch for in the mail now. :rolleyes: Keeping my fingers crossed.

4. Montechris

Montechris

I'm no legal expert and could be way off, but when you sign that form saying i hearby declair everything here to be true....blah blah blah..... That means if there is any deception your insurance does not have to cover you. If your insurance will cover you with out your car being registered in the state you live in, then your fine, I am willing to bet that somwhere in the small print it says your car must comply with-in your state to be covered.

Dont take me the wrong way im not by any means trying to start shit, or care what you do with your car.......Just a warning that the people in the business are always a step ahead.

5. Good Wood

Good Wood
    from pa

JB............Sorry to hear about your crappy experience. I never went directly to PENNDOT, but wasn't surprised that you couldn't get everything done while you waited. Especially with an out-of-state vehicle, I guess they have to check the validity of the title as far as not being stolen, etc.

I didn't realize you were driving from western Pa.to Harrisburg. What a gag!

On a brighter note, I don't expect you to have any problem. Like I said before, you had all the right stuff filled out, and the car is super nice. Should go smoothly. Recently, they've been appearing to get their act together. I, and several guys i know got our new titles, registration, and new VIN plates in the mail in exactly two weeks. I wouldn't even start to be concerned until then. Don't sweat it. You'll be fine...................Woody

6. 5window

5window

Anybody have an update on this issue? Oh, And Happy New Year!

7. EDPACECAR

EDPACECAR

Here is how I just handled my 1941 Willys (BB Chevy with Blower – scoop/air cleaner sticking out of hood)

Downloaded MV-426 paperwork, filled it out, took pictures of all 4 sides plus engine compartment and exhaust system, got together what receipts I had (which were for major items like engine/trans/rear/ paintjob – what receipts I did not have for items like gauges, tire, wheels I photo copied catalog page of item, had mechanic inspect car and fill out his part of MV-426 and attach bottom of inspection sticker.

Then took it to Maiden Creek notary (MAIDENCREEK NOTARY, 610-926-5069, 857 PARK RD, BLANDON, 19510.) She knows how to fill out paperwork and what you need to pay Penna. for sales tax and other fees. She charged me $10.00 to notarize my wife and my signatures. She double checked paperwork and put in order they like to receive it.

Then took all paperwork to my state representatives office and they took it up to Harrisburg for FREE. It seems that if a state representative takes it up they do not jerk you around with any little problems.

How long did this take? Took paperwork to State Rep’s office December 15,2006. Then went on vacation till Jan. 6, 2007. Got home and on answering machine (Wed. Jan. 3, 2007) said tags are in Rep’s office pick up when you get home.

One note: I have owned my Willys for 5 years so I already had Pa. title.

So total of 18/19 days and over 2 major holidays.

Use your State Representative - they will take it to Harrisburg for FREE

8. joeybsyc

joeybsyc
    from PA

Ok, here's my dilemma... About a week before Christmas I hand delivered my Street Rod plate info, pics, out of state title, MV1, application for SR plates, check, etc. to Harrisburg DMV... On the 6th or 7th of January I got it back from them, rejected... because i didn't have the MV1 form notorized, and according to them, still owed an additional 6.00 to them... they sent everything back, and most of the pages of my application had an official stamp on them, showing that they had already been reviewed and OK'd.

Anyhow, I got the form notorized, sent the 6.00 check, mailed it all back again, and by Jan 11 my bank statement showed that they had cashed the check, and had also cashed the initial check weeks earlier. Well, its now the 25th, and i STILL do not have my plate or title. I know they say it can take up to 6 weeks, but the process was essentially finished, and just needed notorized and an additional check for 6 bucks. The first time i submitted the info, it only took about a week and a half to mail it back to me, and that was over the Christmas/New Years holiday... I'm concerned why i still don't have anything back now, especially if they cashed my check back on the 11th... Is there any reason for me to be concerned? I don't know who I can call or talk to to make sure they didn't lose my stuff. Anyone else send a Street Rod application to Harrisburg lately? -Joe

9. 5window

5window

Well,it is the DMV after-all,notoriously efficient. Honestly, I would contact your state representative and ask them to check into it and intercede on your behalf. The DMV reacts faster to the reps because that is where the money comes from. Good luck. Keep us posted.

10. joeybsyc

joeybsyc
    from PA

UPDATE: My plate and title arrived in the mail today... My car is finally legal!

11. hoof

hoof

I decided on fenders so I wouldn't have to jump through the hoops of reconstructed or street rod title. It isn't technically legal so I would never do it, but I could buy a title with matching vin plates for a 1948 F1 and simply transfer that to my name. It should arrive next week.
    CHAZ

12. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Absolutely!!!

Breakin the law,...breakin the law!!

13. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Let me know if you need me to sign a petition, etc.? I'll do what I can,...I'm in!

For now i'll just be Joe Outlaw,.....or maybe go by Tom Joad for now!

14. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

Just a friendly warning to those of you in Pa thinking of getting Ohio tags. Make sure that you have no enemies in your local police dept. Pa cops have known for years that many folks 'border jump' to avoid the PA State Inspection. Most will let it slide, but a cop who doesn't like you might decide to screw with you. I'd also register all of my cars in Oh just to be safe since you'll need an OH driver's license. On a bright note, don't worry about having your insurance policy with you when you buy tags. You just sign a line on the registration stating that you have ins. I do STRONGLY advocate insuring you ride though! Anyone who doesn't is endangering all of us.

BTW, a friend of mine up in Erie built a very radical Pro Street T-Bird about 10 years ago. This one would catch the eyes and ears of ANY cop! He does Clark's number and never has had it inspected since he finished it. He just put hot rod event stickers where the inspection sticker goes and has never been bothered.

Jan...glad I live on THIS side of the Oh/Pa border..:)

15. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Fact is, you need to be PROACTIVE,....you need to head them off at the pass, BEFORE things really gain steam and start rolling to the degree where we all look back and start telling each other "we should have,...we could have" I for one am in favour and think it is not paranoid, but smart and right to contact those who need to be contacted (sema, etc.) and get the word out. Hit your enemy before they even go for their guns,...THAT is the way in which you protect yourself in situations like these.

I'm old school, blue collar and come from a long line of Polish and Italian working men and women, (coal miners, welders, boilermaker, mailmen, farmers, dock workers, military servicemen, marines, soldiers, etc.)......I dont take much to being screwed out of my hard earned dollars by having our beloved PennDot and other in places of power royally screw with me, my family or friends, and this is exactly what it appears to be. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Fact is, unbeknownst to you and I there is always someone out there looking out for many of our personal intrests. Without them, governments start turning their gears and crush the average man, and unless you act first, you subject yourself to many "what if's" that I persoanlly DONT want to be anywhere near!!

16. noboD

noboD

Coaltown, speaking of getting screwed out of hard earned dollars, I just got my renewal for my personal driver's license yesterday. $46 frickin' dollars!! Fast Eddie's on a roll.

17. tchurch

tchurch

That is what we are doing. Problems are apparent when you get really RATical, no fenders, Z'ed or something like that. Keep us informed.

I am hoping Swindell does not raise the registration fees. I own 3 trucks that I run less than 5000 miles each. That way I eliminate the emission inspection bull-crap! I have made plans to chop my 89 F150 and hope none of those inspection stations catch on. Hey wait a minute, I have a PA safety inspection license!

18. tchurch

tchurch

Yeah you could do that, and it isn't legal, but in many a case you would have a VIN off the frame, a VIN off the cab and who knows what else. I just figure, I will use a VIN I have that is legible. I have 2 too choose from. :eek:

19. joeybsyc

joeybsyc
    from PA

OK, Dumb question... where are you supposed to place the registration sticker on a PA Street Rod plate? I have a feeling I stuck it in the wrong place... Although I've seen regular plates with registration stickers on all 4 corners. The envelope it came in says if there is no depression on the plate to stick the decal, place it on the left hand side... i put it on the bottom left, now I'm thinking it shoulda been on the top left. No changin' it now, but wondered if there is a "right and wrong" to the placement, or am I just fretting over nothing?

20. 5window

5window

Well, I think it goes in the top left hand corner-at least that's where mine is. I suppose you could get hassled, besides it's better to have it on in the wrong spot than to not have one. Besides,it's only for a year,next year you can put it somewhere else.

21. joeybsyc

joeybsyc
    from PA

oh well, that's what i thought. Tried moving it but it aint gonna come off without destroying it. Next year I'll put it on top.

Attached Files:

22. sacred_piston

sacred_piston

For some reason I though the street rod plate was same as antique/classic with 1 time registration which would need no sticker, I know you need to get it inspected but the classic plate needs inspection but has 1 time registration. This state and all its stupid laws are pissing me off lately. I am going to get everything registered in Ohio where it is easy.

23. purpleflameguy

purpleflameguy

I agree with terrarodder. It is worth the hassel to go thru the procedure. If you have your car registered and licensed as a street rod, when you sell it or transfer tags to another street rod, the process is just like a regular process, But go to an agency that does it on line and you can get your new registration immediately, if it goes to Harrisburg it may take ,months. The problem is currently all street rod titles go thru the same office as re-constructed titels,boat trailer titles and utility trailers. There are currently 3 people working in this dept. I had to get my state representative involved to find my paperwork sitting on someone's desk, even though the check was cashed 4 weeks before. I know one thing, when I retire it will be Good Bye Pa. Good luck. The best part was having your locat inspection station process the inspection and sign the form. Very little hassel, but now that the state is designating certain inspection stations (larger stations) to cut out the small guys, when processing street rod registration inspecuions I can see it becoming a real,real pain in the butt.
    Den, Drive Em. 32 Highboy roadster Street rod license and title in Pa.

24. 5window

5window

I see you are running the Lght-n-bolts as your license plate lights. Have you had any hassles about that? I am running them on my Model A,too, and so far no problems-but I can only imaging what's to come.

I am happy with them,I think they really clean up the rear end nicely.

25. bowtieman@enter.net

[email protected]

Hi, Mike here, Fleetwood Pa, Pendot streetrod taskforce committee leader, got no fenders, no hood, no bumpers legal on pre 48 vehicles and did streetrod tag/collectable tag, I do have all new information which is needed for the new format in 2007. Can email all info to whom would like it. Thanks MIKE

26. LongT

LongT

I'm too slow a reader to go through all the posts. I have to agree with anyone that said find a local state rep. It took 5 1/2 weeks for me to get my title and plate. That included a rejection. I not only had to pay sales tax on anything that I bought for which I didn't pay sales tax, mail order stuff. But I also paid tax on what the guy that started the project bought mail order. That was the reason for the rejection. I figured that I paid sales tax on what I paid for the project and that would cover all that I got. PA didn't see it that way.

Pick is of car. The little blue tag on the left of the firewall is the VIN tag. If you look at the windshield, that tint MAY NOT pass PA inspection laws. It seems that the meter they use reads low transmittance on aftermarket glass. Even though the glass is legal.

Attached Files:

27. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

Hi Mike You did a good job in getting all the things that we can get away with in PA.,. Look at what some states restrict you to, at least we can drive them as much as we want, where we want. Keep up the good work.
    Dick

28. 5window

5window

Bowtieman's got some good info on the new regulations. I notice there are NO stations listed for my county (Union). Has anybody actually had an already inspected street rod re-inspected under these new regs? What was your experience?

29. joeybsyc

joeybsyc
    from PA

Where is this list of stations published? If someone could e mail them to me, my addy is [email protected] As for inspecting an already registered street rod, do you still have to go to the specialized stations, or can you get a new annual inspection at any PA inspection station once you already have a PA street rod plate?

30. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I just got my PA inspection license and according to the teacher of the class I took, You only need to go through the enhanced inspection procedure for the first and second inspections to get the car titled as a street rod. After that, any shop can give it a regular state inspection.