Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this guy real?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by draggin breath, Jan 25, 2007.

1. draggin breath

draggin breath

I just got back from chasing a lead on a '40 parts car and this chop was installing repair panels with liquid nails. the patches were going into a flanged hole. He said he does it all the time on non structural patches. He uses bonding adhesive on structural places. Is there any way liquid nails will last? I bond repairs occasionally,but Liquid Nails?

2. Sounds pretty "MAD DOG"! Liquid Nails stays a little rubbery I think. So the panels are probably moving around and the mountain of bondo they cover the seams with will probably shatter up and look like a geologic map of the fault lines in California.:eek:

3. Omega

Omega
    from Mass

Theres differant versions of liquid nails.Differant types with differant bonding characteristics

4. Dirk35

Dirk35

A late 90s Corvette has the back half of the car glued onto the front frame structure with 3M Panel Adhesive. Of course, its the real stuff and there is miles of cubic inches of surface area over those aluminum rails, but..... It is just glued.

Liquid nails, well, that guy is just a lazy tard.

5. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Lots of parts are "glued" onto and into newer cars these days...and some of that commercial glue is stronger than welding...I'm not sure about Liquid Nails tho ...

R-

6. Muttley

Muttley

This guy says it will work just fine:

[​IMG]

7. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

A guy that was real smart but ended up the town drunk fixed my grandmothers Duster rear quarters with contact cement and roofing flashing !!it lasted abouit 6 years.he peeled off the rubber side moldings sanded off all the paint on the lower quarters to bare metal then covered the quarter and the piece of flashing with the glue and stuck them together .He spraybombed the patches with rustoleum Then he reglued the trim back on over the quarter/patch joint.I was sure that this would fall apart in a week but it just didn't quit.the only way you could tell that he worked on the car was because the Rustoleum Gloss white paint looked newer than the factory white paint.besides the few $$ for the supplies he asked her to get for the job It cost her 5 -6packs of Bud, A 6 pack while he worked and a case as pay as opposed to the 5-600 wanted by local shops for this work

8. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

Fusor is supposed to be good for this, heck, the door hinges are glued onto the body on my '95 Chevy pickup.

9. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

I had an article on that stuff used on the chevy trucks.. In testing the metal tore off instead of the glue.

10. plymouth_man

plymouth_man
    from WI.

Hell might as well us crazy glue to,it holds a man wearing a hard hat getting lifted up.

11. Degreaser

Degreaser

I wouldn't be a bit suprised if it held for a loooong time. I have used it for just about everything but bodywork.

12. super plus

super plus
    BANNED

Anything is possible today , I remember back in the early 60s when I took my bodyshop apprenticeship, a guy made a crip out of 2x4s & poured a rocker panel out of bondo on a 50s Ford , True Story

13. Missing Link

Missing Link

It's amazing...I was just thinking about liquid nails earlier today.
    I'm thinking, hopefully, that it may hold my liver together for a few more years.

14. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Guess what? Airplanes (the ones you give your money to ride in) are held together with super adhesives. Rivets play an ever decreasing role in aircraft structures.

Frank

15. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

If it can hold my dentures it can sure fucking hold anything. Yee Haw Hee Haw

16. there are patch panels that actually recommend certain adhesives that bear a resemblance (in that they come in a tube) but they do work...in a recent episode of trucks with the wrestler dude who I can't understand they used some of the stuff...

17. I would as soon have him :p "liquid nails" it,as any of those other miracle adhesives they sell nowadays...I am sticking with welding cause I know it stays ;) glued that way.
    I hear about glueing quarter panels on etc etc but I am not a believer in using it for a patch panel where the bonding adhesive is supposed to hold a straight peice of steel with the edges exposed,where they clain it will not crack out if body filler is applied over such seams...THAT IS JUST A LOAD OF BULLSHIT...
    I do know of the strength of these holding on whole panels SURE-but a seam unwelded is a seam :cool: cracked through the paint.... in my opinion.
    They will have to give me a written and legally enforceable guarantee before I'll use that damned shit -for even a small hole.