Register now to get rid of these ads!

tech: spray on bedliner vinyl top

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ether, Jan 24, 2007.

1. heres a little trick done a couple of times. rather than paying to have a vinyl top installed, get the top shot with a colored bedliner like linex in your choice of color. thats if your into that kind of thing!!

2. sephgato

sephgato
    from fenton

Thats not a tech article! thats a way to dupe some jackass into fucking up his car:eek: :confused: why would you suggest that!:D

3. if hes even thought about putting vinyl on his ride whats the difference? they both fu&$ it up in my opinion. just ones cheaper than the other. just my opinion.

4. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

It was done like that in the 60's . It was all the rage. Heres my 56 Dodge done that way. they even had some kind of tape that went on before spraying to simulate seams.

Attached Files:

5. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

You should change the title to "How to f*** up your car in one easy step!"

Not liking vinyl tops, that's your opinion. Bedliner on your roof, that's just dumb.

6. THOM

THOM

that'll look great when it get's all chalky and gray....

7. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

allot of the 4x4 guys do it.spray the whole rig..it looks good until it gets dirty...it holds dirt

8. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

It's been on my '47 since about '65. So it's traditional.

9. 8flat

8flat

Holy shit, do you know how hard it is to remove spray-on bedliner???? If you didn't like it a few years down the road, it would be easier to cut the roof off with a chop saw......

Xtrom likes this.
  10. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

Besides that I don't see how it could be that much cheaper. The replacement vynal top on my Satellite was only like $150.00 installed anyway

11. Svenny

Svenny

I had a 66 Tempest with that stuff on back in the 70's. It was nasty. Faded yellow paint with a sh*t brown top.

The windsheild leaked causing the interior to smell terrible.

It definitly wasn't a babe magnet.

Wish I had it now.......

12. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

It doesn't make it a good idea! :p

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Just call me dumb ass #1:D I had a 63 Pontiac Catalina, 389- 4spd in 1967 right in the middle of the vinyl roof fad. The 2dr HT roof was perfect for it. They sold a kit back then to do just that. Paint a vinyl roof on your car complete with 1/2" glue on strips to simulate the seams.

I had the bottom painted a new 67 Corvette color...Lindale Blue and added the spray on top. Fortunately the guys at the body shop did a test with the strips... They looked like shit, so they shit canned the strips and did the whole roof with the matte finish texturized paint. It looked pretty good from 10 feet! You had to get up close to tell. No it wasn't show. I drove it everyday to work. Chrome wheels and baby Moons made it look ok in the Mighty Mo parking lot.:D

I think the bedliner stuff is too shiney and would look dumb. IMHO

Along those lines...I saw where somebody painted the under side of a hood with that anti chip pebble finish that they were using for a few years way down low on the fenders and doors. It hid a lot of sins and looked neat and clean.

14. LUCIFR

LUCIFR
    from Seattle

It took me a week.. and a DA..with 36grit did not do nothing/Makita grinder/torch/and a whole lot of cusswords to get this crap out of the back of my truck I dont reccomend doing this to any car top!! truck beds are one thing but please not tops ...

15. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

That can be said of alot of traditional things!!!! Doesn't seem to deter us though.

16. If a guy reeeeeally likes the look of a vinyl top, it might be worth doing. Vinyl tops are notorious for holding moisture and allowing rust to gorge itself until nothing remains for the material to cling to, the spray-on stuff should prevent that.

I can't imagine someone wanting to put a vinyl top where it didn't belong (read that as "where there wasn't one to begin with"), but I can understand why they'd choose the spray on stuff over the original vinyl.

17. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Spray on vinyl tops are the catsass.. What did they actually use back then? It was before uretanes were in common use - I mean what was that shit anyway?

18. javier mejia

javier mejia

i did a lace paint-job on my top[​IMG]

19. My 57 Safari has had that stuff on the roof since about 1968.I think they used Mercedes-Benz plasticized undercoating(body schutz) because it is still in good shape with no discoloration.The finish is actually pretty consistent but not smooth.There are no tape strips because of the lines running croosways on the roof.I have no idea how to get it off other than a torch and a scraper;the stuff is bullet-resistant!A couple of pics(taken about 10 years ago.).I had just finished washing off 17 years worth of dirt and mouse droppings so the roof looks almost satin.It's actually flat.

Attached Files:

20. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Wow I've lusted after a 57 Poncho most of my adult life. My uncle (a Pontiac dealer in 57) had a triple black Bonneville and my older brother had a super chief same color as yours. What a neat rare car.

21. javier mejia

javier mejia

people use to put some kind of tube hose than vinyle there top, the tube hose with the vinyle on top would give the affect of the convertible rib-bars. that was in the mid 80s

22. THECHICK

THECHICK

But wont it LOOK like bed liner? ugh:eek:

23. rodknocker

rodknocker

man i've always wanted to put the safari rack on top of my shoebox,and i could haul concrete blocks,lumber,and gravel up there too, what a fantastic idea

24. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

When I first worked in a parts store (26 years ago), DuPont still sold quart cans of spray on simulated vinyl top called "1*2*3".

25. belair

belair

I like to take hot roofing tar and apply it with a mop. Use a new mop, as you really want this to look good. Be careful to mask off the areas you don't want to coat. Then, before it hardens, I take handfuls of dirt or sand and throw them on to the tar to get a textured, non-slip surface. Leaves and sticks can help you make the statement that "I'm different". Good luck!!

26. Sounds like the material they use on the wing walk areas of aircraft.

27. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I tried the leaves, but the sticks are something I'd never have thought of . thanks for the idea. Could you do a tech on this? Probably look especially cool on an old Barris custom.