Register now to get rid of these ads!

Barrett?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jack, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Jack

Jack
    from Austin Tx

The auction is finally over! I tried not to watch but couldn't look away for more than a moment. Was hypnotized by the shiny goodness. I'm not mad at these guy's for being rich. i'm just upset that they would pay 300,000+ for a otherwise 50,000 dollar car in some sort of "My wallet is bigger than yours"
    type cockfight. They couldn't have made all this money with such bad financial decisions. What are they putting in the drinks at the BJ? A car actually came up on the block with a "Gold Chain" hanging from the rear view mirror. I laughed so hard that i almost puked.

2. Squablow

Squablow

What car sold for $300,000 that you think was only worth $50,000?

3. mattrod68

mattrod68

you think 300,000 is ridiculus. they sold carrol shelby's personal 427, 800hp, twin supercharged, only automatic ever produced, cobra for...wait for it... 5 million dollars. and the guy who bought it spent several million on top of that on other cars there.

4. Bishop Welding

Bishop Welding
    from USA

"cockfight"

perfect.

5. What you all overlook is that if one person is willing to pay $300,000 for a car, there is some other idiot that is willing to pay $299,000 for the same car...so in 99% of the cases, the car is worth $300,000. May not sell on ebay for that, or in your local paper, but then again, the big buck spenders don't shop there.

Where else are you going to find carrol shelby's personal 427, 800hp, twin supercharged, only automatic ever produced, cobra? Oh wait, I just picked up today's classifieds, there are three of them in there!! Lucky me, they are only 4 million $$ up here in the rust belt.

6. They made their money making sound business decisions to have the discretionary income to indulge a hobby. Whether that hobby is cars, or showing off in front of the cameras, that is another question.

7. as said, at an auction it's not the true value of the object. it 2 or more people that would like to own the object for sale.
    if I had a $1000 (I said IF!) I would think nothing of bidding $20.00
    If I had assets of a 100 million I would think nothing of bidding 5 million.
    those prices only piss me off because I can't match the bid.
    The most amazing bid of the weekend to me was the blown flat motor 40 ford coupe from Milwaukie Oregon. former Bell Telephone car that hasn't changed since 1955. great little car could get 50-60 grand any day of the week. went for $200,000

8. timbo

timbo
    from PA

I enjoy seeing the money fly on these cars. Everyone gets really excited when they win. BUT, if they looked at it this way, they may not get so excited. In that vast audience, they should think to themselves "no one else in this place feels this car is worth what I paid for it".

9. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

This useless discussion happens every year. Guys love cars, who cares what money they pay for them. If they like em they buy em.

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

I bet there are thousands of guys going to work today with a better outlook on the cars they're working on for next years Barrett-Jackson. Perfect cars bring more money.:)

11. greatbg

greatbg

Whatever these people spend on the cars and what we may think they overpaid, one thing is for sure. Damn, some reallly nice cars come across that block. I very much wanted the bone stock '32 ford roadster that came across this weekend. If I had the money I would have overpaid for it.:D

12. The mother of all Deja Vu Beat a Dead Horse Drama Baiting topics.

13. tjm73

tjm73

Two of those cars were built. One was Shelby's. The other was Bill Cosby's. Cosby sold his and the buyer ended up crashing and totalling it. Leaving only Shelby's car left. The cars were twins.

14. In the later '70s earlier '80s I worked on the side at a place in the S Bay called the Candy Store owned by a rich guy from the SF Bay Area. He started out with a '39 Bently or something like that for a hobby. he figured out if he started showing it and opened the Candy Store he could use it as a tax write off. Absolutely wrong on his part. The place ended up makeing money hand over fist. he had several million $$$ worth of autmobilia in there when i was wrenchin' for him. Folks would actually pay him to come in and see and that wasn't what made him the cash.

There's money to be made of you have the money to invest. Its not the way I'll ever make any cash because I'm just not a shrude business man, but maybe one of you young guys will buy something that beloonged to one of us old guys cheap and when we die it'll be worth something. Then you're well on your way.:D

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I never understand the mentality that would cause someone to place a bid until the auctioneer says "going once...."

of course there are more than likely people there bidding who work for the owner or barret jackson.

one more thought... if Hemi Cuda convertibles were worth $50,000.00 I couldn't afford one even then. so the fact that some rich fuck will pay millions is irrelleveant.

16. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Haven't you ever heard the term "it takes money to make money". Most buyers at BJ subscribe to it.

17. Bull

Bull

Way cool car. http://www.barrett-jackson.com/carlist/cardetails.asp?In_AuctionID=221&In_LotNumber=1255

Liked this one a lot too but didn't see it go across the block and couldn’t find results listed for it anywhere:
    http://www.barrett-jackson.com/carlist/cardetails.asp?In_AuctionID=221&In_LotNumber=9011

18. 55kustomline

55kustomline

a car is worth whatever someone else is willing to pay for it; anything for that matter. the only difference with an auction is sometimes you take the chance of paying more for it than you could have originally bought it for if there is only one more person who wants the same thing....then again, you could walk out of there like you just robbed the place.

19. Brian C

Brian C

20. CruZer

CruZer

As far as I'm concerned,it's good entertainment for a guy like me that will never spend over $25K for a hotrod. Only a few of the cars sold were drivers before the sale. If I can't drive it, I don't want it.And if I could invest $100K or more in a car,I probably wouldn't drive it.

21. JamesG

JamesG

They could auction off a pair of Carol Shelby's old underware or Von Dutch's dirty snot rag and someone would pay stupid money for it......

22. I think the guy that bought the Von Dutch bus/home got the deal of the year..$30k....with all the contents inside as well!!...i bet my bottom dollar all that stuff will be sold off....he'll make a killing on it.
    John in AZ

23. According to the BJ site the bus went for $46k. All what contents? I thought it was empty for a long time.

24. alsancle

alsancle

25. mattrod68

mattrod68

i remebered hearing that there were two but it was confirmed destroyed. i stand corrected

26. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

27. yblock292

yblock292

Good example of just how crazy this has gotten, me and my girl are walking through starbirds this weekend, and i see a 56 chevy 2 door post car with a for sale sign on it in the show. Would be a good driver probably 20 yr old paint maybe original interior, but all in all its ok. I tell her, that 56's are my favorite of the tri-year chevys and have always wanted one soooooooooo. I go up to the guy and start talking about the car and i say, what are you asking for it, he points the the corner of the sign in small print " accepting bids over $40,000." enough said.

28. Plowboy

Plowboy

I was wondering if someone might have put all that stuff in there so it didn't look so empty. Maybe it wasn't really his stuff in there?

29. eltiberius

eltiberius

At the Motorcycle auction in Vegas, I overheard Bud Ekins drinking and smoking and telling Dutch stories...part way thru one of his stories, he had to explain who Dutch was...sad.

30. borntoolate

borntoolate

Just after that way cool 40 coupe went through the auction, a 1955 Thunderbird went through (http://www.barrett-jackson.com/carlist/cardetails.asp?In_AuctionID=221&In_LotNumber=1256). It's a restomod, or whatever they call it now. My dad did the upholstery in it. The reason I call it to attention is the not-so-usual story about the price it brought. The owner turned down an offer of more than the auction price($198,000) before he transported it there from Tennessee. He took the builder along for the trip and I'm sure they stayed in a nice places and ate good along the way. Sometimes it's strange how supply and demand works. Oi!