Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tony Thacker...'32 Ford Deuce...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, Jan 19, 2007.

1. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

It's out of print...Is it worth owning?

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and Moriarity like this.
  2. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Judging by the prices it brings on ePay - yes.

I'm not a deuce nut, but I've got it - haven't really gone through it though.

Sorry, I'm no help - I'll go away now. ;)

3. If your a Deuce fan its a must have.

4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Usually anything Thacker does is great, I just haven't been able to get a copy to see if it's worth spendin' what the last one went for.($182.00) :eek:

5. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

Without question, I've had my copy since it came out and often refer back to it.

I just picked up a copy for a friend on ebay in the UK for £23. Looks like he got a bargain!

6. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Yeah, I would suggest watching eBay UK for a copy - they seem to go a little more reasonably & shipping shouldn't kill you.

Although the current exchange rate is about 2:1...

7. B4bazz

B4bazz

Motorbooks are doing a reprint of this book including extra pages on the 75 most memoriable deuces, according to what I saw on their website.

8. B4bazz

B4bazz

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The new Tony Thacker "Deuce" is NOT a reissue with extensions--it is a new book lacking most of the content of the old one!
    The copies of the old one (1984-5) I can find run between $100 and 200 from booksellers; if you like unusual info, you need it.
    The new book is an EXCELLENT coffee table book, showing lots of nice recent and older '32's and giving a fair history of the car in the USA as well. If you are into deuces you will want it, but if you've been reading over the years you won't actually learn anything new and might spot the occasional inaccuracy.
    The old book is a different history, with lots of very unusual bits, including a competion history of the '32 in its early days, largely in England and Europe, the Allards built on repro '32 frames, odd models, Australia, etc.
    Much less mainstream, very little in it available elsewhere, and very worthwhile if you want stuff you haven't seen before.

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Bottom line: A '32 freak like you needs both. AND, this shows that just being interested in '32's can bankrupt you--you don't even need a car to go broke!
    I NEVER try to figgerout how much I've spent tracking down parts books from Denmark to New Zealand, owner's manuals in languages I don't read, service bulletins from other hemisphers...

11. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...touche, Bruce. I'll get both. One just sold for $147.00 on ebay, but a second one just got listed...I'm on it. :D

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Larry let us know when you get it and we can bid on the next one that comes up.:) Won a '32 Vicky door post on a one bid auction yesterday.:D :D :D :D

13. UK Comet

UK Comet

14. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Did you read Bruce's post?:rolleyes:

15. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

larry,it's like a Christian wanting to know if they need a Bible.

dad got one signed from tony last year.he says that you need to suck it up and get one comming.:eek:

-danny

16. UK Comet

UK Comet

bugger :(

17. Yup - and if Nervous hadn't been on the phone, I'd have been bidding you up on it....

18. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

It wasn't me spending the money it was Glen, shame you didn't make he old bugger spend a bit more!