Register now to get rid of these ads!

59 Caddy Eldo 2,200 miles +dead guy=$165k

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jakespeed63, Jan 21, 2007.

1. My freind sent me this info from the CNN website.
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/AUTOS/01/18/arizona_auctions/index.html
    This Barret Jackson, 3 ring circus, is doing "some" harm to the old car hobby. Opinions? Comments? :confused:
    JT

On Friday, a high-finned 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Seville with only 2,240 miles sold for $165,000. The car is believed to be the lowest-mileage '59 Cadillac in the world, according to Barrett-Jackson
    The Eldorado's mileage is so low because on Feb. 9, 1959, when the car was still brand new, it was found on a back street in Nashua, N.H., with the owner's dead body stored in its trunk.
    The car was then impounded as evidence in the murder of the owner, Maurice Gagnon, who ran a plastic molding company. Gagnon's alleged killers were sentenced to death but later paroled, according to Barrett-Jackson.
    The Eldorado was found in 1981 in a warehouse, still standing on its original tires. It also has its original battery.
    The car is expected to fetch a high price because of its virtually showroom-new condition, not because of its sordid past, said Steve Davis, president of Barrett-Jackson.
    "If you just picked one car to represent the '50s it would be the '59 Cadillac," Davis said.
    Offering what a 1959 magazine ad called "A new realm of motoring majesty," the Eldorado has air suspension, power seats, power windows, air suspension and a power-closing trunk.

2. Phil1934

Phil1934

3. Machinos

Machinos

What the hell is a power-closing trunk for? I'm trying to think of some kind of funny "dead guy in the trunk" use for that feature but I can't even find one there.

4. 61bone

61bone

You didn't expect the dead guy in the trunk to close it himself did you?:)

5. like a light in the fridge, the only way to check it is to get inside. I'll bet after he found out how it closed, he was wishing he'd ordered the POWER OPENING trunk instead!..........Jim

6. repoguy

repoguy

Considering what the car is, and the dead guy story, I'm surprised it didn't bring more than that.

But then, maybe I shouldn't be surprised. It seems like it's all about the musclecars there, and anything else just doesn't bring the same kind of insane money that a Hemi car, Shelby, or 427 Vette brings. I just about shit myself when a car that I almost had my dad talked into buying when I was in high school, a 70 SS454 Chevelle (sitting on a used car lot out in the country for $6500 - this was 1986) brought a MILLION DOLLARS!!! I get depressed just thinking about it. I could be in living on the beach in Jamaica or Costa Rica right now.

I think the only exception to the musclecar rule at BJ is anything that was ever bought, sold, wrecked, or pooped on by Elvis Presley. They bring big money too.

It's like the interest just fades when anything else shows up.

I always like to watch the celebrity auto auction, because (well at least the ones I've seen anyway) seem to be a pretty good guage for both the level of popularity for the celebrity, as well as a good guage for how huge of an ego the celebrity has. Man, I remember one last year where Sylvester Stallone was selling a sweet custom 58 Chevy. And I'm talking a NICE 58 custom Chevy, with a 58 buick grill, and some other really tasteful extras. It brought 50 grand. His reserve was a 100k. Then a bone stock 74 Lincoln that Elvis bought for one of his maids brought close to the same amount. You know Sylvester was pissed. Then a custom Harley once owned by Dennis Rodman brought 7 grand!!!! Which is like 1/10 of the cost. I can just imagine all the Harley guys thinking "do I really want a bike that was owned by a tranny??? Uhhh, no, I think I'll pass on this one".

You know, most of us like to take shots at Barret Jackson, but hey, lets all be honest: we're just mad because we don't have as much money to throw around and as many neat toys to play with as those guys have. You know it - I know it. :D

7. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

i never understood why a musclecar should pull more dollars than a fine caddy / lincoln land yacht anyway. i love seeing them pulling in the dollars they deserve.

hell, if a new Lexus costs like $60 grand in perfect condition-- why wouldnt a '60 Cadillac convertible in perfect condition be worth multi-fold more? it should be

-scott noteboom

8. Last week's Old Cars Weekly has the story about the car and the owner. He was found slumped over in the seat where the 2 goons left him. The story would rate Darwin status. The guy that is selling it has owned it since 1981. I'm not surprised at what it brought. If anything, it might be low with the other stories we've heard.

9. Re;"Slumped over in the drivers seat"....is this car's name Christine?? :eek:
    WTF..slumped over in the drivers seat is a far cry from locked in the trunk! :confused:

10. for 20%($ 33,000) i would tell you just about anything about this car to sell it. the word "alledged" means to me your full of shit because you can't prove the story.