Register now to get rid of these ads!

1934 Dodge factory IFS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by el raton, Jan 19, 2007.

1. el raton

el raton
    from Austin

Since I'm on such a tight budget I was thinking about going with the factory IFS that my 34 Dodge coupe originally came with. Does anyone have much experience running with it? Is is worth my time?

Thanks - er

2. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

it's really not a bad setup, power steering could be a challange

3. It is what it is,a 72 years old suspension- with weak brakes -right?:D

I built this 34 for a guy and used a Must II.... the frame under yours has the coil towers "built in"...
    I cut the frame offat these so as to place the MII Xmember in correctly and reconnected the frame horns,eliminating the old springtowers...it sat nice and drove excellent at hi speed too.

I seriously do not think one could rebuild the stock frt end,and adapt better brakes as cheap as the converting to the better/newer one.....

Attached Files:

4. Like choprods said, you'd be ahead in the long run to cut out the old stuff and put something modern (relatively speaking) and servicable under there. Just 'cuz it's an IFS doesn't necessarily mean it's up to todays' modern driver. It was a good design in it's time but you can do better.

If you have never done a frame clip or suspension swap, do a search on here. It's been covered many times, as well as being done to death in the magazines. Read up on the procedure and read some more, then find someone experienced to guide you. Don't be afraid to cut the old stuff off. That's why God made welders, right?

5. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Is this the same bassic setup Mopar used in the 39-50 something independent suspension cars or is it its own thing? The 34 was a one year only, which tells me either it was a less then great design, or it was ahead of its time, or both. Are replacement parts even available? If its a one year only deal, I'd be swapping it out with something.

When they came back out with the independent suspension in 39 they used it for a long time, either a better setup or better timing. The later model suspension with replacement parts available, was a decent design, and can be upgraded to disc brakes and rack & pinoin steering if desired. Not sure if you could do the same thing with the 34 or not, I've never seen the 34's suspension design.
    Gene

6. el raton

el raton
    from Austin

Thanks everyone for the insight. I appreciate it. Also, I heard that Dodge ditched the IFS in '34 due to a patent infringement lawsuit.

Thanks again - er

7. RustyCoupe215

RustyCoupe215
    from Owings, MD

I have a 34 Plymouth PE Coupe so it didnt have the IFS just the paraell leafs, I switched mine over to ford style wishbone suspension. The IFS frame is a bitch to switch over to anything unless your going Mustang II. However, I belive Fat Man fabrication sells the "50s drop spindles" for your IFS style 34 Mopar, you can probably use a newer spindle and Ford Granada Discs or possibly a MII spindle and aftermarket discs.

I personally think its cool because no matter who says what, you have an IFS car built with IFS in 1934. Same with the "vega" cross steering these cars have. See chevy and Ford didnt have all the good ideas. This just proves all this shit really was invented LONG before 1970's "IFS" and VEGA boxes, and that automobile technology has basiacally remained the same for almost 100 years now.

Now does anyone wonder why in oh 15 years of automobiles hitting assembly plants no real technology has really come about in all this time.....cause OHV and DOHC motors were built in the 30s as well.....along with primative fuel injection.

sorry for the "Matrix" rant on automotive technology just a thought.

8. Abomination

Abomination

I read somewhere in a magazine in the early 90s that a Dodge Rampage power rack would actually bolt in!

~Jason

9. Crease

Crease

I am running a stock 40 IFS and love it, but don't have experience with the 34 set up.

10. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

There are probably several sources for disc conversions google Rustyhope for one possibility. The biggest improvement can be had by relocating the upper shock mounts, as the stock one only acts between the different arcs described by the upper and lower control arms. Ford F1 style mounts can be bolted or welded in and Fat man makes a weld in kit also. Coil spring can be gotten either stock length or lowered from several sources.