Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lower Radiator Hose for SBC in a '40 Ford.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rpol7966, Jan 19, 2007.

1. rpol7966

rpol7966

I'm mocking up the radiator in my '41 Ford truck. The lower outlet on the radiator is really low in relation to the water pump oulet on the engine. It looks like there could be cross member interference trying to route the hose from the water pump downward to the radiator. Does anyone make a S shaped riser that would elevate the lower radiator outlet for a better fit to the SBC water pump outlet?
    Any ideas on a molded hose that might work? I'm sure one of you has a simple solution! Thanks

2. 40Tudor

40Tudor

It's even worse if you have a front sway bar like I do.

I had a 45° outlet soldered on the lower tank pointing up to replace the straight one. I forget what hose I used, but if you mod the radiator, you only need a single bend on the hose to clear the belt.

3. jbergman

jbergman

I do not know if this will help, but what I have done is bend a piece if wire to the shape and angles I need keeping in mind the O.D of the hose. I then take it to an auto parts store and if they are nice they let me look at at the hose stock they have hanging in the back room. I pick out some samples and take them home, using my charge card so there is no cash to be used. Sometimes I may cut off both ends of a hose because only the middle will have the shape I need. Then I return the others. After this process I record the part number, incase I need a new hose in the future. Sounds like a crazy persons method after I read it. John

4. try napa part# 8685 ...you will need to cut a couple inches from each end

i've used it on several `40's. has a bunch of crazy bends....it will clear the radiator mounting bracket on the frame and the sway bar

5. 5window

5window

Sounds like 36-3W has the answer. Just in case, I spent HOURS staring up at hanging hoses in autoparts stores trying to find one with weird bends to match mySBC in just a Model A. Finally went with a Cool-flex hose that bent every way I needed it to.

6. for model A's and 32's with sbc try Napa # 7286

7. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Thought I'd add some info to this thread since I found it useful while searching for hose numbers for my '40. I used the 8685 (Gates 21995) for the lower and for an upper I used a Gates 22692 I have a straight forward thermostat housing and a center hose location on my radiator this clears the air compressor and drivers side mounted alternator.

Attached Files: