Register now to get rid of these ads!

Harvey's Broiler Razed Illegally!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cyclone Kevin, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

So how much was the guy asking for the place anyway? I've seen several posts mention his astronomical lease price but how much to buy it ? What's the property actually worth? Not it's HISTORICAL value but it's real property value. How big is the lot? Not trying to be a dick just curious.

2. Mr. Creosote

Mr. Creosote

Nuttin wrong with treehugging folks. Its them damn liberal left leaning, NPR listining, Prius driving treehuggers you gots ta watch out for. Seriously tho, I wish I could come down and join ya for the cruz. Even in the Bay Area I've seen to many land mark places tore down so people can buy $4 a cup coffee on every corner. Will the kids now days feel the same way in 30 years when they tear down the last Starbucks? Keep the faith Chili and give them hell!

3. OldBobSign told me to read this post last nite. Boy what a disaster for the preservation of "Americana". This post hits a little close to home as our town has currently put a "historic structure " ordinance on the books about a year ago and is currently assessing what structures are considered historically significant in the community.
    A couple of small points about HPOs. The historical significance of a structure or property can be acknowledged by a community but the owner only becomes bound when legal contracts or actions are signed and endorsed. Usually, to encourage an owner of a historic property to register, financial incentives are attached to encourage the property owners to restore the property in accordance with its significance. So point 1 to the owner of the property . He didnt accept or sign anything .
    But the ordinance says more than what is written into words of the law.It says to the owner of the property that the residents of the community have found your property and others like it to hold a important part in its history and believes a value is held in our society that goes beyond the money. As a community they are calling this point to your attention and ask you to think carefully about the property in your care. They feel strongly about this and as a community we are willing to share in the expense of preservation, by offering low interest financing or tax incentives to these property caretakers. we will also provide help in locating persons who have an interest in perserving these treasures.
    Yet when they introduce these people to some of these owners , they think they have the goose that lays golden eggs.
    This is the part that puzzles me. Many people read a contract or proposal and react impulsively without taking the time or effort to understand what is said in the proposal. The majority of these individual's decisions are then made emotionally ,which is not the way to make any decision. An emotional decision is almost always the wrong one. This situation is a classic example of this process. The owner of the property took the easy way out and instead of thinking about the historic significance called to his attention by the communuity and the incentives that were offered . He threw aside his responsibility to society.
    I live in a wooded area near Chicago and the area is very unique in the number of trees. We basically live in a forest. Over the last several years as many of the older homes were remodeled or replaced, many of the trees were being damaged by the contractors.
    The damage only became apparent several years later when the front yard full of 100 year old trees died. The people that owned these new or remodeled homes were outraged as the costs of removal and replacement were costly and the aestetic they wanted to live within dissappeared. They in turn turned up the heat on the local municipality. After looking at the problem the village discussed the idea of placing a bond of $3k per tree within a designated ,bounded construcion area. Again people reacted without listening and thinking. One home owner decided that the city cant tell him what to do with the trees on his property and cut down over 50+ trees on his 1 acre lot . The ordinance wasnt even voted into law yet and actually a better solution was found. Because of his lack of thinking the owner hurt himself financially. The barren property lost over 40% of its value by his actions and hasnt been able to be sold for over 1 1/2 years. The actions of man's shortsightedness.
    He showed them didnt he ? I wonder if he has an old greek relative?
    Sadly Harvey's Broiler will most probably be relegated to the sign becomeing a prop in a museum display.
    Putting together protests and fund raisers are reactive processes. These efforts will make most feel good about what they have done but will not stop a repeat of this type of situation. We need to educate and remind all about their responsibility for the future and the generations to come. Hopefully we will learn about generosity from this and allow all, present and future ,to expierience what we have enjoyed.

4. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I second that!!!!!!!
    He offered up his special Chili Phil Haydrazine Chili Services as well as burgers to the entire Downey city council, They got a kick out of it!!!:D :D :D.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2022
  5. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Update:
    Adriene Biondo asked me to add this so here I go.
    A group of us decided we would like to circle Harvey's/Johnie's this Sunday in honor of the one week anniversary of the illegal demolition.
    Can you help us get the word out to vintage car clubs and anyone who cares about Harvey's/Johnie's? It'll be a 2 hr cruise only meaning that we'll only be hanging out from 3:30-5:30pm.

So Join us @ Harvey's/Johnie's This Sunday the 14th. We'll be meeting up with the friends of Johnie's @ a few classic car clubs & slowly circling around "The Broiler" again from 3:30-5:30pm in honor of the one week anniversary of the brutal & illegal demolition of "The Broiler"

Wear a black armband and bring a token of tribute to leave @ the site such as a flower a photo,childs drawing,note balloon just something that you leave in honor of "The Broiler"

There should be some media coverage--KCAL-9/CBS-2 has been GREAT covering this story for us.

Thank You.
    Adriene Biondo

Justice for Johnie's!
    REBUILD JOHNIE'S!
    Johnies Broiler
    7447 Firestone Bl
    Downey,CA.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

well put.

it's not that i don't see the other side of this either. i do but i am also a huge fan of history and historical things and i think it's a real shame that so many people in this country could'nt give a shit about OUR history.

i don't know the laws or all the details so my opinion on this specific subject are'nt yet fully formed. none the less i think it's a real shame the guy saw fit to destroy it the way he did. kinda like holding an exacution without a trial or "due process". seems that way to me anyhow. but what do i know.

7. CK.sorry myself and ther others Ive talk to here in arizona cant make it sunday.Make no mistake about it we are with you in spirit and truly stand behind you in this.enjoy what you can of Sunday...

8. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Hey Kent,
    This is a impromtu lil deal set by Adriene, When Chili Phil,Axle & I find out what is needed we'll give you and the pals plenty of time to get out here and support the cause.
    I thank you for being with us in spirit.
    What's the name of your club?
    I'll set something out there for you guys so that way your support will not go un-noticed.
    Kevin

9. Hi All.....im new to the H.A.M.B.....im always looking on the net for old homes that need to be moved/restored.....did this ass hole ever offer to sell the building itself to be moved to another location?...i see old homes sold for a $1 all the time....im sure someone would of snapped this great old place in a flash!...and rebuilt it on a new lot.....guys...America isnt the only place that doesnt care about the past...i just moved here from New Zealand...they are pulling old buildings down so damn fast there too......that the city i lived in Christchurch..was called the garden city...most old English style city..outside of england ......now the condo/strip mall city...John in AZ

10. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

He never offered up for sale or even to gift it. Just demo'd major portions of it,

11. See you guys tomorrow.

12. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

damn! that woulda been a great idea. could have been a "WIN WIN" that way.

13. axle

axle
    from Drag City

I'm So Damn Busy Getting Ready For Rhythmbound Next Weekend...and The Gnrs....but This Is A Great Cause Folks And No One Should Miss This. Even If You Stop By For A Half Hour And Show Support. I Guarantee The News Will Be There!

Axle

P.s. Cheers To Cyclone Kevin & Chili Phil !

14. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Thanx for all the HAMBers that came to The Broiler to show their support!!!!! Keep this place in your thoughts!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Mike

Mike

Damn, I wish I had heard about this gig earlier ( I had no internet access over the weekend). I would have detoured up there in the Duece, instead of heading straight home from San Diego.

16. axle

axle
    from Drag City

how about some pictures?

17. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I think Chili Phil’s wife took some some stills, I did some video but that's it. I drove the roadster down there = was slightly chilli.
    I'm not u-tube savyy so I wouldn't be able to download the
    video anybody have any ideas?????

18. Here's a few pics from Sunday. More to come…

Attached Files:

19. Here's some more…

Attached Files:

20. And finally…

Attached Files:

21. Thanks to those of you who went sunday.from those of us who could not

22. Old Roadster

Old Roadster

Kevin, Your doing a great job of keeping this thread a live. My family was there for the Downey Meeting and kept me informed, they sent me the newspaper articles and were there for the suday meet.......

23. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Chili Phil,
    Thanks for posting the photos, Old Roadster, Your welcome, Also tell your family THANK YOU for the support! Especially Wingnutz here for posting the News link as this is how I found out about it in a news break then I posted this thread right on the HAMB for all of those who cruised to see. We'll see what happens, It's in the citys hands now.
    Thanks to all of the HAMBers that have sent the city an email & posted their own reply, whether it be pro or con.
    Believe me, the city is watching this thread as well as they are car people too & have grown up with The Broiler!!!!!
    Please make your thoughts known also by continuing to email the city council and let em know that you are there to support The Broiler! Perhaps we will get an answer in a timely manner.
    You guys/gals are the best!

24. paintpyro

paintpyro

I wish I had seen this sooner. I read it this morning, and had to drive by tonight to see for myself. The place helped me get introduced to hot rods. Ed Roth took me to my first cruise night there. My girlfriend lived in Downey for 20 years, and we now live the next town over. Thanks to all those showing their support.

25. Abomination

Abomination

Don't forget to keep us updated!

~Jason

26. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

You guys are in this with us as well because it's survival is for the future generations of lil hot/custom rodders that yearn for this type
    life.
    As soon as I hear something I will be sure to post it.:D
    Kevin

27. Hey Kevin....It wont hurt for everybody to send an email to the city once a week just so they know that we wont forget about this and that people across the land are watching this very closely......great job man.....keep it up

28. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Meatball,
    Right there with you re:the writing, Thats what I did right after I posted the previous post. Yes we do need to let em know that this will need to be resolved & that the world is watching. I sent mine guys, how about doing the same:confused:
    Thanks,
    Kevin

29. Kevin, did ya send them a link to this thread? If not, I sure will…