Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is wrong with people??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BadMonkeyMW, Jan 13, 2007.

1. BadMonkeyMW

BadMonkeyMW

Okay, so last week I bought a 1964 Econoline pickup from this guy. Yesterday, I get to really looking underneath it and realize there is a grapefruit size hole in the fucking block!!!

Alright, I'm a dumbass for not getting under the thing with a flashlight and scrutinizing the truck, but WTF!!! Would it have been so hard to say, "Okay, here's the truck, but the motor is blown up so you'll have to replace it." This fucker doesn't say a word about it.

What doesn't make sense is that I know right where this motherfucker lives. I've been trying to contact him to see if he'll do the right thing and give me a big chunk of my money back, but if he doesn't I'll do what I have to do to square up with him.

I just can't understand the mentality of someone who will look you in the eye and fuck you like that when they've got to know it's going to come back on them. Oh well, it'll just be a bigger project than originally planned. And I'll get my satistfaction out of this redneck either way.

2. synthsis

synthsis

3. TravRod29

TravRod29

Need a Hitman...:)

4. Kyron

Kyron
    from Peoria Az

What did he say why it didnt run??

Did he ever drive it OR did he buy it like that and resell it??

And WTF is wrong with YOU for not looking all over it?

5. Anderson

Anderson

Did he say it ran and drove? Did he say it ran at all? Was it sitting in a field or in the dirt next to his house? Did he advertise it for sale or did you approach him to buy it?

Buyer beware.

6. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

No help and no respect ... Ryan does not like the 4 letter words in the title ...
    I suggest you fix it ...

:(

7. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Just curious as to what he said about the motor,and what you asked about the motor.

8. sounds like you screwed up. What kind of money was exchanged in this deal anyway?

9. lolife

lolife

Expecting a 64 "anything" to run (especially in South Carolina), is a unhealthy mental condition.

Also, there is no tooth fairy, or santa claus. Sorry...

10. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Did the guy SAY that the truck ran or had a good motor?

Can you prove that he KNEW what condition the engine was in?

Not to sound like a prick, but the time to check a car out is BEFORE you buy it! Finding flaws after-the-fact and then running back to the seller generally won't get you anywhere but into a heated argument! Once in a while you may find a kind spirit to take pitty on you and help smooth things over by giving you a partial refund or buying the vehicle back...but those types are rare, and they really are under no obligation to do so once you agree to buy and hand over the cash.

You win some, you lose some...and each mistake hopefully makes you a little smarter and wiser for the next time.

Bottom line, if the vehicle was worth it to you when you bought it, then you'll overcome the obstacles involved in getting it to where you want it to be. The car I currently drive now isn't worth half of what I paid for it, and it threw one problem after another my way when I first got it it...but now, several months and many hundreds of dollars and man hours later, it's a damn good car and I drive it every day! The point being, I didn't NEED this car, it's something that I wanted, and so I paid more than I should have and had to overcome some challenges and do a host of repairs and upgrades just to make it driveable...but that's how it goes with the car hobby!

If you want to mess with old cars, you gotta work with what's out there...they don't make 'em anymore and you can't buy them with a waranty! That means that it's up to YOU to find the best starting point for the amount of money that you can afford to spend and then do what it takes to see the project through. There's gonna be good deals, bad deals, highs, lows, sweat and smiles along the way...but it's all part of what we CHOOSE to do with our time and talents! If you're into old cars, accept the fact that they ARE old cars and that they WILL require much scrutiny before purchase and will no doubt involve lots of big and little hurdles along the way! THat's why we love 'em!

Call it a learning experience, and get busy FIXING the problem so you can ENJOY the heap you elected to buy and dive into as a project!!:cool:

Oh yeah...and curse words in the subject line are against the Board Rules...no matter how mad you are at the guy who sold ya the truck! ;)

11. Soviet

Soviet

Well, I'm guessing he thought that a grapefruit sized hole would be hard to miss, and anyone serious about buying probably wouldnt miss it when looking the truck over.

12. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

Let me draw a picture in my mind so I understand what happened a little better.

You go driving by a see a '64 E-line for sale and go 'OOOO! I likey! I want!' So you stop and look it over and REALLY want it. But because you’re probably in a hurry and a little too excited about the really good price you forget to look underneath. So now count out the cash and see that you have enough and make the purchase. Now you have to get your new toy home. My guess is you trailered it. And your trailer has a nice big winch.

When you get your new toy home you find out that there's something wrong. Something BIG wrong. It won't start.

So with the above description that I’ll bet is pretty close to what happened, you’re mad at him for not being forthcoming with all the info and now you’re calling him names.

To add to The Fidgiter’s line of questions –

Who did you talk to?
    Did you get a title?
    What is the overall condition of the E-line to begin with?

You seem to have left a lot of the story out as most do when looking for sympathy.

Vance

13. BadMonkeyMW

BadMonkeyMW

Sorry about the title syntax mistake, I was unaware.

As far as the truck, LIKE I SAID, it was my mistake not looking more closely at the motor, but I did look the truck over before I bought it.

The engine was missing the carb, and the dude said that was the only thing he knew of problem wise. And for the record, he's a mechanic at the Toyota dealership in his town, so I have a hard time thinking he didn't know the motor was blown.

Bottom line is this: It's my fault and I will still do everything I originally intended to do with this truck, but it still burns me that people are so dishonest, but what goes around comes around, and it'll come around on this chump.

Post bottom line: I wasn't looking for any sympathy here (or expecting any), I just wanted to relate the story. I NEVER feel sorry for anyone no matter what, and I don't expect anybody to feel sorry for me.

14. Anderson

Anderson

Just because he works on Toyotas doesnt mean he knows anything about cars.

If I bought a car with a missing carb, I'd probably write the motor off anyway. If the block was still good and not full of water, I'd be happy. If I stuck another carb on it and got it running, I'd be thrilled. But as it is...you're bitching about nothing that shouldn't have been unexpected. What is it anyway, a straight 6? It's not like you're out much...people give those junkers away.

15. wvenfield

wvenfield

Odds are he did know but for the rest of us we have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

As far as we know, he had just drug it home yesterday.

If I had sold it, I would have kicked you back a few bucks though. If the motor was shot, we'll nobody said it ran. If it had a hole in the block, I would have felt a few bucks needed returned.

16. BadMonkeyMW

BadMonkeyMW

\
    I should have been more specific: Professional Motorcycle Mechanic

17. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Bull shit.. If i can screw you out of some perfectly good cash cause your too stuipid to look over the vehicle properly then enuff said. Just cause they guy said it need a carb to run dont mean it doesnt need further investigation.. And you prolly bought it as is where is no warranty expressed or implied so ...................
    Dave
    I dont go around trying to screw people so dont get the wrong impression but there are people that do.

18. BadMonkeyMW

BadMonkeyMW

I get what you and everybody else is saying, but here in the South we take things a little more personally. I definitley made a mistake (a fairly big one), but it's not advisable to rip someone off when they know exactly where your house is. Maybe I just have an overactive sense of justice, maybe this guys house is flame retardent? I mean, who knows in this crazy world?

19. dude, i own a 66' econoline pickup with 200/3spd. mileage sucks,performance sucks,brakes suck,heater sucks but it sure looks cool!

20. luckydevil

luckydevil

How much did you pay for the truck? You keep saying you got ripped off. What is a non running solid southern truck worth? A couple of grand? I know you can't touch a solid truck here in Ohio for under 2 or 3 thousand. What did you pay???

21. rodknocker

rodknocker

maybe the toyota mechanic thought that big hole in the side of the block was where you put the carb, man that'd be a cool duel quad set up!

22. El-Cid

El-Cid

Nah, I'm with you; if you buy something you should be able to take people at their word. If they don't know anything about what they're selling they should say so. I also agree that too much of our society feels no "personal responsibility".

I know that Ol' Skool Rods mag is panned on here (most of the time for good reason), but the March issue has an excellent editorial on just this issue. There's a story about a guy that bought a beautiful restored '36 Ford coupe with the intention of rodding it. He pulled the motor and trans., then yanked the body to clean up the frame and found tin-foil and bondo repairs to the frame. Needless to say, that changed the scope of his project a bit. Same deal-he bought it face-to-face from a guy; the icing on the cake is that they guy claimed to be a preacher, and that there was no way he could ever rip anyone off. Oh well, karma catches up to everyone eventually.

23. rodknocker

rodknocker

its a dog eat dog world,so don't go wearin biscuit flavored underpants!

24. BadMonkeyMW

BadMonkeyMW

Thank you!! Somebody gets what I'm saying. It just sucks that these days you have to assume the seller is trying to fuck you and go from there.

25. hillbillyhell

hillbillyhell

Ah bullshit. Dude was prolly like any of the rest of us here....he drug it home with the intention of it being a complete project and hasn't even really looked at the motor. Or something along those lines.

I don't look at shit on the Ford trucks that I drag home to cut the rear end out of, but if you stopped by and wanted to buy the complete truck, damn sure I'd sell it to you.

Like you said, your fault. I'll give the guy 100% benefit of the doubt, because I know how it goes when you drag something like that home.

26. Well, it looks like you came to the right place then.:rolleyes:

You blew it. He wasn't saying anything to jeopordize the deal and you handed over cash.

Here's some flowers, I hope you feel better.

[​IMG]

Next time you buy a vehicle without looking it over well, take some KY jelly. It'll hurt less when you get screwed.

27. BadMonkeyMW

BadMonkeyMW

Thanks Mike, I do feel better. And when I finish the truck, I'm going over to the dude's house and do donuts in his yard.

28. 55kustomline

55kustomline

the fact that youre telling everyone that this guy will "get his" on an open forum is just as questionable as you say his selling tactics are

29. hillbillyhell

hillbillyhell

Try calling or stopping by? Or is is just easier and safer for you to be an Internet badass?

30. That'll show him - how foolish you REALLY can be. ;)

Let go of your anger, young Jedi. It is the path to the dark side...
    Channel that energy into fixing the truck. Call this one a hard lesson and move on. I've been taken for a monetary ride once or twice in my life. It happens to most of us. Let it go and remember it the next time you buy a vehicle.