Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where can I buy a GOOD floor jack?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dukeofbluz, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Dukeofbluz

Dukeofbluz

I have been looking for a good floor jack and it seems everything out there has gotten a lot worse quality then they were years ago.
    I dont like the new aluminum "racing jacks" and most of the heavier jacks now are really narrow and have small pads on them.
    I tried one from Harbor Freight and tool and the pad pops out and its really hard to get it to release easily.

Thanks Duke

2. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

look around for an old one, start hitting estate sales or auctions when automotive type businesses are going out of business

3. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

NAPA used to carry a line of pro quality jacks.

4. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

5. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I picked mine up at a garage sale....pro snap on, 4 ton low pro extended body for $40....kinda ugly but works great!

6. Cyclone

Cyclone
    from Sonoma, CA

I have this one NAPA Auto Parts, was on sale for $199 when I bought. Comes with a padded handle and a pad for the lift disc.

Attached Files:

7. vein

vein

costco, I believe 60 bucks! the big one.

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Most of the new ones suck... As was mentioned earlier, garage sale, auction, estate sale.... the best one I have is easily 30 years old.... the new ones are disposable...

9. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

I know us jack co. has the best bottle jacks ive found,the military has a contract with them,not sure if they have floor jacks though.

10. screwtheman

screwtheman

Our Sam's Club here has a real nice heavy duty one that's branded as Goodyear- $65 They also have a beefy cherry picker that includes an engine leveler for $170 :cool:

11. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

I bought a Lincoln brand made in the USA, heavy duty and goes
    down good and low at Pep Boys a couple yrs ago. Very pleased with
    the quality.
    Later Ron

12. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

My old Craftsman that's been working flawlessly for 20+ years just shit-out..... anyone rebuild their own before?

13. Yeah. It's pretty easy. If you can't get the specific parts from Sears, a bearing & seal distributor can usually match up seals & rings for you.

14. I like the aluminum jack from Costco...lots of lift, especially for how low it compresses. If you go with this one, just keep everything tight...sometimes the bolts like to loosen up on this one.

Bryan

15. HeyMang

HeyMang

If youre just looking for a GOOD jack, Gray's sells the best money can buy, made in USA. Quality comes at a price, however.

[​IMG]

This 2 Ton jack is $361. The 3 ton is $510.
    www.grayusa.com

16. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Floor Jacks are us??? right next to webe toys.
    Dave

17. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Take the cylinder out and take it to a hydraulic shop. They'll be able to match up the seals and o-rings to rebuild it. There isn't much to 'em.

18. noboD

noboD

NAPA, AJAX, and Walker WERE all the same jack, differant colors, at one time. Can't say for sure any more. Find one at a yard sale/ auction and rebuild it for about 30 bucks. I bought my last one for $20 bucks.

19. Walker jacks were made by Lincoln....N.L.A. from Walker since around 14-15 years ago. When I was connected with Walker some years back, inquiries were referred to Lincoln, & apparently parts and/or service were available at that time.

As mentioned, the cylinders are pretty basic, & easy to rebuild, or have rebuilt.

20. Barn Yard Chevy

Barn Yard Chevy

I'm a Big fan of the Norco - Heavy - Strong - Tough

BYC

Attached Files:

21. MOPARMORTUARY

MOPARMORTUARY

I have a good year that came from Sam's club works great but the pad is kinda small. I shopped a long time and this was the best jack I could find that wasn't $300 or more. So there you have it.

22. KustomF100

KustomF100
    from Joliet, IL

I have one of the half aluminum half steel Craftsman jacks and absolutely love it. I had a Hein Werner heavy ass jack that took a crap after about 20 years. Of course the heaviest thing I ever use the Crafstman on is a half ton GMC truck. I think it was about a hunnert bucks or so.

23. a/fxcomet

a/fxcomet
    from Eugene, OR

I have a 2 ton Lincoln that I got from Car Quest. It was around 200.
    http://www.jackxchange.com/products/W93642.cfm .
    Most hydraulic shops will repair the the heavy duty US ones. I have used too many of the Harbor Freight jacks that had leaky seals. I think everyone I have known that owned one had problems with it. Spend the money and buy a burly one. It is one of those tools that you don't want to let you down when you need it.

24. RotHod

RotHod
    from So Cal

I try not to be too thrifty when it comes to jacks and jack stands. I have noticed that they eventually will leak from the seals whether its a harbor freight or an expensive one.

25. river1

river1

26. Hell on Wheels

Hell on Wheels
    from So Cal

I just got a 2 ton Ajax for free but need to repair.

27. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

The old Hein Werner has held up for the last 35+ years. That one thing about good tools thay last. Ron

28. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

i have a napa 3 1/2 ton i bought on sale about seven years ago for a little over 1 1/2 it is heavier than hell a real jack picked up my 27 foot motor home. there probably all chinese shit by now, some of u young guys dont know what quality is you have grown up with this crap from china

29. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Just find an older USA made jack on craigslist or ebay and rebuild it,should last ya 30+ years.

30. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy

We use Costco Jacks all year long at My Tire Store 1 and 2
    Never had any Issues!