Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rustoleum spraycan question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flypa38, Jan 4, 2007.

1. flypa38

flypa38

Howdy fellas!
    Just painted my roof and visor with rattlecan Rustoleum. Most of it looks good, but you can see some of the spray pattern still. Second coat, same deal! No matter what I do the edge of where I painted is flat from overspray. There's really nothing I can do to prevent it. What I'd like to do is go over it with clear flat to even it out. The problem is that the clear flat immediately wrinkled/lifted the rustoleum on contact. That was after it dried about 18 hrs. Also the rustoleum wrinkled itself in a few places when I tried to touch up some of the paint overspray edges. I did use wax/grease remover btw.
    I guess my question is will the rustoleum allow the flat clear Krylon to go on without problems after it dries more? Any other ideas to even out the texture? If that Krylon isn't compatible with Rustoleum, what brand/type of clear rattlecan is?
    Thanks!
    Johnny

2. What about wet sanding the overspray with fine sandpaper?

3. flypa38

flypa38

I was thinkin' of that........Recommended sandpaper grits? Would the rustoleum hold up to it or will it go right through? Krylon holds up to sandpaper real well, but this is my first time with non-primer Rustoleum!
    Thanks!
    Johnny

4. It probably depends how thick the paint is. Maybe one of the paint gurus here will see this and chime in.

5. flypa38

flypa38

Here's a pic......not sure if you can tell in the pic how uneven the texture of the roof is........ The passenger side is shiny and the driver side is flat from overspray. Next coat was all the way across, front to back, to minimize overspray in any certain spot, but still a little uneven.....
    [​IMG]

6. Squablow

Squablow

Get yourself some 1500 or 2000 grit sandpaper. Spray the roof down and use plenty of paint, don't worry about the overspray so much, just make sure you have a few coats on it so that everything is covered well. Leave it dry for a couple days. Then go back and wetsand it with the paper until everything is evenly dull. Then buff it out so it's all shiney. You should be able to get pretty impressive results, even with a spray can. I'm assuming this is a non-metallic, enamel or laquer paint you're using. Metallic spraycans on something as large as a roof isn't going to turn out worth a damn.

Or, you could always invest in a spray gun and a compressor.

7. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

hvlp spray gun and a pint of paint, add the recommended thinner and shoot. i used rustoleum and mineral spirits.

8. flypa38

flypa38

The rest got painted the right way last night!
    [​IMG] Turned out nice! The roof just isn't cooperating but I found rustoleum clear flat and I'm gonna try it tommorrow. Can't possibly be worse than the Krylon clear flat did! I'll let ya know!
    Johnny

9. rebstew187

rebstew187

do you have the heat cranked up high in the garage? If so turn the heat down some so the one side of the roof is not drying before you get to the other side.

10. flypa38

flypa38

Heat's on sometimes. It's like mid 60's.........a frend of mine who painted the rest of the car said he's never painted with paint that does that! Maybe it's the shade of green or something, but no matter what, you can see every little bit of overspray! Hopin' the clear flat works......
    Johnny

11. GooGooMuck

GooGooMuck
    from Tacoma, WA

Yeah, the roof is a pretty large area to not have some streaking, but most imortantly, keep your cans warm. I like filling a small cooler with HOT water that way you can switch between cans fast. I've even seen a guy in Vegas that setup his own Bunsen-burner type can warmer. My graffiti artist buddy has taught me a few ticks too, don't be to grinchy with your cans, only use about the first two-thirds of a can. And keep shaking between passes, it's easy to zone out and forget, especially on large areas.

12. Jimmy

Jimmy

Check the directions on the can. I'm pretty sure that you're supposed to wait at least 48 hours before topcoating.

If you don't wait long enough you will get the wrinkling and lifting you're describing.

Rustoleum will wet sand OK if you apply enough material.

13. RodLand

RodLand

Yes, what Jimmy said about waiting. Rustoleum is bad to wrinkle if you don't wait long enough. As long as you are spraying you can put as many coats as you like, but if you wait longer than a few minutes it wrinkles. A roof is a large area to cover and start over before that small time limit. No Krylon on top of rustoleum, it don't work.

14. flypa38

flypa38

Tried some clear flat rustoleum....didn't wrinkle a bit on the visor! next step is the roof! It turned out pretty dang even!
    Tried the krylon again after 4 days....still wrinkled, but a little slower this time. Krylon and Rustoleum are definately incompatible in any capacity that I could figure out.
    Johnny

15. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

You Are Correct !!! Rustoleum Is An Oil Based Paint And The Krylon Is Either Laquer Or Enamal ....

They Are Not Compatable !!!!

I Have Found That Krylon Covers A Lil More Even, But Is Non Sandable......

You Should Always Use Like Brands When Doing Spray Bomb Finishes .......... Almost Every One Will Not Be Compatable With Another

16. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

de soto is correct. thanks for the encouraging words this time. ive found that XO rust works good if you have a cheap gun and compressor. even sprayed it with one of those little construction site compressors. just thin it out 1:1 with acetone. works great.

17. Bart_59_Dodge

Bart_59_Dodge

I have a similar question about RustOleum paints and the proper hardner reducer and thinners to work with. Id like the paint to set up and harden quicker. Id also like to shoot it with my HVLP gun. The rattle cans are good for small areas, but I hated the results on larger areas. What mix will give aprox best results for shooting with a gun.

Thanks in advance:confused: