Register now to get rid of these ads!

Weekly "What's it worth" question: '57-59 9-inch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brad54, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Found a '59 Ford in the junk yard with the rear end still in it.
    For $500, I can get the whole car and part it out. Or, for $125 I can just get the rear end.
    These are the narrowest 9-inch rear ends Ford made (other than the early Bronco I think), and they fit in Tri-5 Chevys, First Gen Camaros and Firebirds, and some other stuff. What do these usually trade hands for?

Brad

2. squirrel

squirrel

oh, about a buck and a quarter.

have you priced late 50s ford brake drums lately? have you ever looked at the rust on the gears in a rearend that's been sitting for 30 years?

3. slowford

slowford

If you are buying, they usually sell for $300. If you are selling one, they usually go for $200. At least that's how it works for me.

Definately get it. The early Mustang guys like them because, not only are they the right width, the spring perches are in the right place for them too.

4. I paid $50 for mine - last month.

JH

5. I may be dead wrong about it,but I seem to remember that the 57-59 also has the pinion centered as opposed to offset. This helps if you have to use a very short driveshaft,such as a Tbucket,etc May be wrong ,but check it out....Stan

6. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

What's the rest of the vehicle like? If it's got some desireable options, like a standard shift setup or power steering, you may be able to sell $500 worth of junk off it and get your rear for free.

7. Frank

Frank

Sedan or wagon? I understood it was the wagon that was the especially narrow one, not the sedan. Don't know why they would be different though.

8. I think the wagons and Ranchero,s had the big bearings and the housings were the same width.I got my 59 9 inch free only because the yard owner is my buddy. I was willing to pay up to $300.00 at the time. On the other hand the axles were pitted from sitting,I had to speedi sleeve them at the seal contact areas.The pumpkin doesn,t matter as other chunks fit no problem as long as spline count is the same.There may not be a filler bung in the housing so if you change the 3 rd member get one that has a filler plug in it.

9. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

about 200- 300 around here...

10. sodas38

sodas38

I would have to agree with squirrel (seems like I've been doing that alot lately). I think you need to price that rear end for the housing and axles only. Unless you know for sure the pumpkin is not all rusted up. That said, $100-$125 may not be too bad for it. It will cost that much to have one narrowed.

11. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I have owned well over 4 or 5 dozen ... 57 to 59 Ford rear ends ( that is not a misprint ) ... and I have paid as little as 20 dollars for a whole car ... :) to $150 ... for a rear end. They usually sell for 200 dollars and up ... if complete. Brake drums are a little difficult to come by ...

$125 is a good buy .. IMHO :)

12. I gave 100 for the one hangin' on my shop wall (fellow HAMBer and he liked me;)). 125 is a good price.

13. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Keep in mind that brakes from a '67-up car won't work without getting different axles. The spacing between the housing flange and the axle flange changed. '66 Galaxie brakes will work fine. Don't ask me how I know this......

14. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Roadstar paid $50 for one over the summer at a junkyard and the guy even cut it out and had it ready for us to pick up a couple of weeks later. Smokin deal.:D

The kicker was about a dozen HAMB guys passed the Ranchero on their way into the junkyard, they all saw it and took note. Rudy and I were the last ones inside the gate and he was the only one who after seeing it, turned around, headed back to the owner, asked how much, said "I'll take it" then we walked back into the yard. Seemed like everyone wanted it. One guy even offered Rudy a "profit" for letting him purchase it but Rudy needed it for a project.

The owner is a great guy, has given me a good deal on some odds and ends pieces. I believe he has a few more of those rears as well but the cars were very hard to get to.

15. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've thought about getting the whole car, but a quick check on The World's Marketing Research Site (ebay) shows that nobody is selling '59 Ford parts. Either they're so rare that parts cars aren't available, or they're that unpopular that nothing is worth anything. (of course, I'm surprised at what the '58 Buick 4dr I parted out netted me).
    I'll double check on the price, and see if I can't get the whole thing (if it made it through the week) and try and score a rear end for free after the dust settles. Otherwise, I'll probably just get the rear end.

-Brad

16. Squablow

Squablow

I sold one for $75 a year or so ago in the classifieds. They're not that uncommon around here.

I'd get the whole car. I sold a power steering setup out of one for $300 on eBay last year, you should be able to sell a couple parts, scrap the car for the iron value, and get your rearend for free, or for a profit. There are lots of people buying '59 Ford parts, there's no repop stuff for them so nice trim and good parts are worth $.

17. 50shoe

50shoe

hmmm. I just found 2. complete, with drums. both big bearing. one has a posi. both were from running cars and stored inside. guy wants $300 ea but I think he might go $250.

I thought that was an OK deal!!

anybody want one for $250? I think he'd sell both for $500.

18. '68 Buick brakes fit perfect. That is the big buggers useing the aluminum front drums to save weight.:D

19. spare parts

spare parts

If you get the whole car ,I'll buy the radiator support,if it's a good solid piece.The one in my '58 is rusted into and radiator supports are the same '57/'59.

20. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Again, take inventory of what it's got for saleable parts. Is it a 292? If it is, and it's the original engine, it's got a set of large valve "113" heads that Y block guys will buy from you. 4 door trim is usually close to worthless, but 2 door stainless for almost any year Chevy or Ford will sell for something. Any power options are popular with '59 owners looking to upgrade.

21. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

66 Thunderbird Brake drums and shoes will fit 57-59 rears.A friend of mine just pulled this swap he bought a 66 Tbird for the engine/trans for his 57 2door gasser.The bird had brand new brakes in it so he swapped the rears onto the 57 rear.I got the rear for helping pull the the other parts.New drums are still available but are like 90$ each through Advanced Auto Parts.Shoes are available also but forgot the price.