Register now to get rid of these ads!

o/t: 302 in a 69 Datsun truck...?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flynn's_57, Dec 22, 2006.

1. thrasher

thrasher

screw the datsun, go with an s-10 :D and you could paint it yellow with an ugly hoodscoop.

Attached Files:

• ss10.jpg
      ss10.jpg
      File size:
      69.3 KB
      Views:
  2. twofosho

twofosho

Stock small block Ford (especially in 5.0 roller motor guise) is narrower and lighter than the small block Chev and doesn't give up much, if anything in power output. More big valve aluminum heads out there to pump up the power and drop bunches more weight than you can shake a stick at. Right angle oil filter mounts, short water pumps (available for both styles of belt), and rear sump pans (fox body, van, etc.) are readily available to alleviate any clearance issues and the small block Fords all have front mounted distributors. Although it's frowned on around here, an overdrive equipped, factory fuel injected, roller motor 302 or 351 would give great mileage and tear your head off.
    There's a 302 powered black Datson PU in the Oregon City area with a polished truck injection manifold poking through the hood and although it's not my cup of tea, the thing looks kind of neat in it's own way and the owner seemed quite happy with it last time I talked to him.
    Setting the motor back far enough to to get the radiator on the axle centerline as stated above does away with any oil pan clearance issues no matter what you use. Just move the body back and shorten the bed or ashcan it and find a 29 A body.
    Sounds like great fun to me.

3. farmer_joe620

farmer_joe620

do it! youll have a ton 'o fun!! not kiddin!

ive built 4 smallblock luvs, and they all work and drive wonderfully. some are little more crazy than other but thats neither here nor there.

i also had a 74 datsun that i put a 4.1 buick v6 in. it scooted pretty good on the stock rear. it would rap out real fast due to the stock 4.33s, but i could get goin from a dig like none other.

all early minitruck had frames that were built like brick shithouses. ive seen stock framed luvs with VERY heathy big blocks, and they work awsome. a guy i know has a 455buick in his luw with the torsions, and it drive and handles great.

ive seen a couple520s with v8, the 302 being the most popular. they fit well without alot of modding. there shoudnt be alot of exhuast interference since the block isnt very wide.

i say go for it!! hell im gonna be puttin a 355 in my isuzu this winter.

4. Phil1934

Phil1934

5. gowjobs

gowjobs

Here's the 427 520:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Flynn's_57 likes this.
  6. 1FSTDAT

1FSTDAT

I just put a 350 and a 3 speed in a 71 datsun, tight fit, the hardest part wa the headers (fender well exit). it has the radiator in the back and all fits under the stock hood, i was told a quick fix for the brakes was to put pathfinder roters on the hubs and make caliper mounts, i havent tried it yet but we will see. for a rear end i have a toyota. as far as frame and suspension strength these trucks are supposed to be a 1/2 ton form the factory. If i was smart i could figure out how to make my pic smaller so i could post them.

7. flatbed

flatbed
    from Oregon

please post those pics.

8. elwood blues

elwood blues

i got a 67 datsun pickup that i have mocked up on a s-10 frame it fits pretty good. i got to take about 3 inches out of the middle to get the wheelbase right but besides that its good and the 4.3 v6 mounts work on a sbc. watch out SCTA!

9. thrasher

thrasher

why did this thread have to come back up.

10. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

i cant beleive the warm reception with it bein a 69 and all!!!i was all exited to see how bad and nasty this thread was!:D imma start postin bout my 70 amx then!:cool: just kiddin!:p those pics from the mag are cool as cucumber shit! you gots ta do it like that'n bro!:cool:

11. purple

purple

I miss all the other Datsuns I had, but too many projects..... down to just 1 from 5.

The front will be fine like most have said. You might need to readjust the ride height. That early 67 in the article (has the 66 grill) is bad ass, and the nose is a few inches shorter than the 69. I would suggest if you want to re body this truck, then set the engine back into the firewall. It will clear the suspension better that way too.

The rear end can only handle mild power, if you build up the engine at all you will need to upgrade that. There was a guy trying to make a disc conversion for his truck on a yahoo mailing list I'm on, but I don't know how far he got.

Flynn's_57 likes this.