Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone build themselves a garage in the last 2 years

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J Man, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Gator

Gator

We had a 24 X 24 metal building built last year, concrete slab, one entry door and one 16 garage door for just over $6000. I wanted 36 X 36 but codes here wouldn't allow it.

If you do build my advice would be to build as BIG as you possibly can - it's amazing how fast you can fill one up.

2. crowerglide

crowerglide
    from Tyler, TX

It's about as nice looking a building as I've seen. Nice job.

3. synthsis

synthsis

I'm currently trying to convince myself to put up another garage/shop considering my 1.5 car garage is full as is. so far I'm looking at a 24X24 with 10' or 12' ceilings. estimates not including the slab are just about 10Gs. the reason I can only go with 24X24 and not larger is that if the building exceeds 600 sq/ft you need additional permits and EPA certs that can run into the thousands, it's local municipal ordinance I think. My mental issue is that I have a nice open, fenced back yard and I don't know how it's going to look with one garage 10 feet behind another garage. In addition to that I really need to learn how to start doing some real fab work if I'm going to justify the expense of the shop. so there's my two cents.

4. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

I put up a 22 x 24 next to an existing 22 x 16. The whole thing is now 22 deep by 40 wide. Not quite deep enough but that's all this autocrat city would let me have. My original plan was for a 24 x 26 addition. One word of advise. If you have not purchased a piece of property, do all of your homework FIRST. Don't make ANY assumptions that you will be allowed to make ANY changes what so ever to any property that you are considering. It took me nine months and more ass kissing than I've done in my whole life just to get the half assed building permit I was granted. I would have never bought the house I'm in had I known the ride that I was in for. It would have been far easier to have simply purchased in another juristiction. I've got about 17K in the whole thing turn key.

5. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

I recently moved and had a custom-built wooden shed put up with a shingled roof. It is similar to the high-top gambrel-roof sheds at Home Depot, but I had it built with different dimensions. It is the maximum size I could get without going for a permit. Basically 120 sq" on the floor (outside of walls), with an inside peak height of 13', and the gambreled roof designed for maximum interior space. Cost me $4,500. And by the time I got shelving and lofting in there, the cost was about $5,600 I think it was. I still have to paint it at a cost of about $200.

6. RocketMan

RocketMan

If you locate inside a city or town,be sure to check the local city codes that govern how close to your property line you are permited
    to build a structure.
    My planned 24x24 backyard shop became a 18x24 when I found
    out that I could not build closer than 20' to the alley.

7. Rande

Rande

A friend bought a place with a couple buildings already there. We used the 45x80 building for the shop. It is a metal pole shed. The poles are actually 6x6s, 12' at the side walls, 14' at the center. Dirt floor, no interior walls.

He went to a local, large metal supplier and bought a bunch of lumber (about 2x4) that is used to bind the steel bundles for shipping. They had no use for them and he got them cheap. Those were used to divide the building into a shop and dirt floor storage area. We also used them for the side walls to have something to attach the interior wall covering to and to span between the rafters to hang the ceiling from.

He bought factory painted steel from a commercial building that was taken down. He also got 2 15x15 overhead doors with tracks and springs. Its fully insulated (well, will be when we finish the last wall). We did the electrical ourselves. 2 duplex receptacles in each box, each box has its own 20 amp breaker, its a 150A service. 6" concrete floor that was deepened where the 2 post lift was to go and the 16' crane. 12 8' high-output fluorescent lights, 3 commercial ceiling fans on speed controls. Gas furnace hanging from the ceiling. We epoxied the floor.

For the interior walls we used painted OSB at floor level, then pegboard above that and more of the metal to the ceiling.

Here's a link to my photobucket account so you can see what we have done. There's a lot of other misc photos in there but plenty of the shop too. Browse at your leisure.

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/I66coupe/?

8. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

sounds like a lot of you guys dont have any zoning laws. if you do be careful and pay attention to what shifty said about inspection. good advice.

9. Thanks,:) pm recieved and pic's sent via your E mail address.

10. studhud

studhud

I'm in the process of researching for a shop building have been for months! The best deal I found here in califas for a 60 x100 building is about 30k from a place in Atwater Ca. called Reliable steel buildings Im going with insullation multiple doors and more importantly four foot overhangs. The overhangs help a little in the winter but really helps keep the walls cool in the summer less sun on the tin siding and windows less heat gain throughout the day. Permiting for a shop or ag "agriculture" building is the question. A shop is way more $ to permit and nobody can say anything about cars ect being inside. While an ag building you cant even legally park a tractor inside makes no sense to me? I'm probably going to pay the xtra fees for sop permits so my nieghbors cant say or do anything later. Good luck Dave

11. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

Thanks for the info guys. Where we are moving is rural so most of the properties allready have some sort of building. I have really only found one place with the right buildings though. We still have a few places to check out so maybe one of them will work.

12. cruisinkruty

cruisinkruty

Added to the roofline of existing house,a 36X60 garage addition. 1 Twin post assymetric lift. Water,220v service for welder and lift. 110v outlets every 6 ft. Floor drains. $80,000.00 and it is still not done!About 7500.00 more and it will be perfect for me.

13. Glen

Glen

This was about $32k at 30x25. I went crazy with electrical outlets, lighting and 3 phase power. It is 2x6 construction with scissor truss the walls are 9 and a half feet tall.

I posted the build pics here on the HAMB this summer http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111717

[​IMG]

14. z28toz06

z28toz06
    from usa

I am building one. Doing most of the work myself. hired a crane to put the roof trusses in place and had some friends help me. The floor and foundation I left to the pros. Haven't poured the floor yet. Probably wait until spring now.

Attached Files:

15. z28toz06

z28toz06
    from usa

1 of the garages residents:
    [​IMG]
    In no order at all!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The loft
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. I just completed one for a customer right before christmas. It was 30 x 100 with 9' walls, 7 roll ups, 2 walk throughs and 8 windows. The building its self was only around 28k, 54k with all of the concrete work, but the slab was almost 4' on the back side and we did a huge apron around the front.

17. I built a 38.5'x24', 2x6 walls, 6/12 pitch roof with storage trusses, one double and one single door, 75k btu heater and because I had to build it into a small hill I had a slab, plus a 5' block wall on two sides, I did everything but the cement work and it cost me about $13k-$14k

18. Big Dad

Big Dad

My shack ..
    30 x 30 .. 10 foot inside walls for 4 post lift clearance
    11 foot would be better unless you have very low cars

I paid $28,000 ..all done, air, heat , sheetrock, tape, texture,paint
    concrete electric garage door opener.. done very nice

Never touched a hammer or brush

IF I am lucky enough to do it again

two things

bathroom

and 30 x 40 with 11 foot sidewalls inside

But, it will do

19. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

A year and a half ago I built a 24 wide x 22 deep onto an existing 16 x 22. Then refinished the exterior as a 40 x 22. I did the whole thing on el cheapo doing all the work possible myself that I could. The breakdown is as follows; Concrete 7000.00, lumber and materials 3500, hired labor by the hour for framing and overhead door 1500, electrical 1500. The greatest caution I can lend you is to do all of your zoning/permitting homework BEFORE you purchase your home. I learned that just because it makes sense to you doesn't mean you'll get a building permit. I jumped through some pretty high hoops just to get permission from the city to build.