Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T Armed Forces?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dooce, Dec 20, 2006.

?
  1. I joined and loved it!

145 vote(s)
    56.4%
  2. I joined and hated it!

19 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. I regret not joining!

44 vote(s)
    17.1%
  4. I am glad I never thought about joining!

49 vote(s)
    19.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I say don't join if you're having as much doubt as it sounds like you are. It depends on your situation, such as not being able to afford college or getting away from something, but you didn't mention that.

I was in the Navy Reserve and didn't like it, but I'm not sure why I joined because I'm not much of a military kind of person. You could join the Reserves and go regular if you wanted, not the other way around.

Some pros: education, travel, discipline.

Some cons: less freedom (you'll take orders big and small), you may be told to kill people, people may try to kill you.

Thanks,
    Kurt

2. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I'm in, I love it, I won't try to sell it to you.

You need to decide why you want to join, what you want out of it, and what you think you'll be able to do...after that, a bit of research will put you on the right track.

I will say this - you will make friends - real, lifelong friends - that are irreplaceable. Every single one of my friends who got out for whatever reason, all have the same thing to say, "I miss the people"

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. old beet

old beet

I joined the Army in 1965? , 63? On the buddy system. Go to boot camp with two friends and all is OK? They took me out because of a bad back!!! The other of 2 kids were KILLED!

I Still feel bad today!!!!!!!!!!!............OLDBEET

4. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

5 years USN, I would first say fuck it and go into the powerline trade. I am a happy lineman. Listen to me and you'll be driving an eldorado and have a diamond ring on every finger. :) But if you want to save the world go coast gaurd, less dangerous and they got schools too.

5. DrJ

DrJ

If ya gotta join something, join the PEACE CORP.

Gimme an F!
    F!
    Gimme a U!
    U!
    Gimme a C!
    C!
    Gimme a K!
    K!
    What's that spell ?
    FUCK!
    What's that spell ?
    FUCK!
    What's that spell ?
    FUCK!

Yeah, come on all of you, big strong men,
    Uncle Sam needs your help again.
    He's got himself in a terrible jam
    Way down yonder in Afghanistan
    So put down your books and pick up a gun,
    We're gonna have a whole lotta fun.

And it's one, two, three,
    What are we fighting for ?
    Don't ask me, I don't give a damn,
    Next stop is Bagdad,Iraq;
    And it's five, six, seven,
    Open up the pearly gates,
    Well there ain't no time to wonder why,
    Whoopee! we're all gonna die.

Well, come on generals, let's move fast;
    Your big chance has come at last.
    Gotta go out and get those reds —
    The only good Raghead is the one who's dead
    And you know that peace can only be won
    When we've blown 'em all to kingdom come.

Next stop is Afghanistan;
    Well there ain't no time to wonder why

Huh!

Well, come on Wall Street, don't move slow,
    Why man, this is war au-go-go.
    There's plenty good money to be made
    By supplying the Army with the tools of the trade,
    Just hope and pray that if they drop the bomb,
    They drop it on the Taliban.

Next stop is Afghanistan.
    Well there ain't no time to wonder why

Well, come on mothers throughout the land,
    Pack your boys off to Afghanistan.
    Come on fathers, don't hesitate,
    Send 'em off before it's too late.
    Be the first one on your block
    To have your boy come home in a box.
    (Performed at Woodstock and recorded by Country Joe and the Fish, these words updated slightly to be news.)

He's the Universal Soldier and he really is to blame,
    His orders come from far away no more,
    They come from here and there and you and me,
    And brothers can't you see,
    This is not the way we put the end to war.
    (Donovan)

Fuck, don't fight.
    Be happy, screw Bush.

"Season's Greetings!"
    "Peace on Earth and good will toward men." and all that stuff...

And fuck off war mongers, in advance...

6. The bottom line is you have to be able to find a job you will like. This is why I joined the Army. The Navy and Marines were going to pick my job back then, but the Army allowed me to find what I liked. I have been in 12 years, and I am writing this from Balad Iraq.

All branches will allow you to go on and do other things like flight school, officer training, warrant officer school, etc. if you qualify.
    Travel is great, I have met a lot of great people, and even met some of the worlds most famous people.

Good luck with your choice.

7. Ol'Sarge

Ol'Sarge

I joined the US Army at 17 years old. I enlisted for 2 years as a mechanic. Signed up for the college fund.

It was too good a deal to pass up.

I retired when I was 37. I still work for the Army and will get another check when I retire again. You can't beat the benifits.

There is some really good advice here. All that I could add is if you join for a career go combat arms. If you do not plan to retire learn a skill.

Good luck!

8. tattfrog

tattfrog

Well it's my turn to put in my 2 cent's.i served in the Air Force for 9 year's.Had mostly great time's and some not so great time's,But the one thing I can say is that,good or bad those were the best year's of my life as far as working a job and learning what life is all about.While i was in the service I worked with the SR-71 (6year's) and the F-15 (3year's).I have been out now for longer than I was in,And still find my self wishing I would have stayed in.So I say HELL YES,Join pick a good job and and do you're country and yourself something that you will be proud of.

Thank You for even thinking about serving,Just think long and hard before you sign on the line.

9. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

Dude, im in S. Korea right now. Fuck this shit. Its a good start in life, got me away from my dope dealin boys. Im gonna have 8 years in and im gonna get out and do whaterver i can to stay out. Its been a great learning experience but i want OUT! Im a combat arms instructor in the air force so that means im part of Securty Forces. If your going to join, go Air Force. DO NOT BE A COP! Security Forces they call it. NO matter what they offer, dont do it. I HATE THIS SHIT!!!! My job is coo, but there is way too much other shit that comes along... Go Air Force though. They take care of their folks. thats my .02

10. 6-71

6-71

I beat the draft in 1966,by signing up for 4 years in the army.I didnt have any idea what i was in for,and sometimes wondered what i was thinking when i joined.during the viet nam war,i got to spend 2 years in southern japan,buying and selling motorcycles and pickup trucks,then back to massachusetts,working nights at a garage and wrenching on a circle track car in my spare time,then to bangkok thailand to finish out my time. I am proud to have served my country and I know i came out a better person because of my military time.

11. tims58348

tims58348

I joined the Navy right out of high school. I had every intention of joining. My dad was in the Navy, and I had other relatives that were in the services. Spent 4 years and wish that I had stayed in. I was stationed in Italy for just over 3 years. Now my son is thinking about joing the Air Force. I do hope he does. And I could be prouder to have served, even though for some reason veterans don't get Veterans Day off. The American Flag has real meaning when you serve. Not to upset anyone who hasn't or doesn't want to serve. After all this is a free country to be able to choose what you want to do.

12. turbodan

turbodan

Well, honestly, the only one who can decide for you is you.

I joined the Army Reserves right out of high school, in 91. I did my initial 4 years, and as the 4th year was about to wrap up and my re-enlistment option would come up, the unit got the axe...DoD cutbacks, etc. So I went Active duty for another year and a half. That was over in late 96.

Now it's 10 years later, and I'm over in Afghanistan. Still had the itch. I had a child on the way, and no decent work, so I figured the National Guard would be a good boost while I looked for better employment. I volunteered for this deployment, knowing the benefits that would be available for my family. I joined because I still felt I had something to contribute to our country.

I've learned a lot about myself through my military service, and a lot about how to do things right, and how not to do them. The experiences I've had, both positive and negative, are priceless in relation to how I live my life now, and will live it in time to come.

A lot of the guys here have given some really good, solid advice, and I have to agree with them. Think about what you want to do in the service. Think about where you want to be down the road. Really take a step back, and ask yourself if you can take the stresses of this way of life, and the very real threat of not coming home. Is the job you want to do going to give you a skill in the real world? Is the job you want to do going to put you in harm's way again and again? Is this a commitment you can stand behind?

These days even the non combat jobs are being thrown into the streets with the "trigger pullers" and expected to do the same work. It's a screwed up scenario. I'm over here with the infantry, doing the job of the MP's, while the MP's are out in the street doing the job of the infantry. It makes no logical sense, but that's just how the military works...it doesn't always make sense.

Think of what you'd like to do. Think of what you want to acheive from your decisions. Think of what you have to lose, and what you are wiling to risk to make a better life for yourself. Most of all, think for yourself. Don't let a recruiter sneak a turd into your contract. Doesn't matter how much it sparkles and shines, it's still just a turd. Ask as many questions of the recruiters as you can think of. The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.

I can't say I love it, or that I hate it. There's days when I just dont care either way. But, there's also days that will never be able to be compared to anything in my life past, present, or future! I know now that my time is done, the military has run its course for me. After this deployment, I'm done. I have a son to finally meet, and a life to get on with. This is a decision you have to make, and one you must be prepared to stand behind no matter what. You signed the dotted line, you gotta back it up!

Like Henry Rollins said, "Don't take the candy, unless your willing to get in the car."

Regardless of what you ultimately decide, I think I can speak for all of us, we've all got your back in this. Whatever your decision, you know you've got our support.

13. I spent twenty years in the Air Force and I wouldn't trade it for anything. My homelife sucked, I had no skills, no future and was heading for trouble (John Kerry must have known me). The Military saved me. Having said that.......and repeating much good advice already tendered.........

The Military is not a democracy! You don't get a vote. If you decide to enlist part of your oath will be to, "Obey the orders of the Officers appointed over you", there are some outstanding Officers in the Military and there are some jerks! You don't get to choose who you work for. But, you will make some of the closest friendships you will ever have.

Because of the draw down during the Clinton Administration and our current entanglements overseas.......plan on being on the road, a lot.

However, if you serve, you will be a true public servant, the very best this nation produces.

Best of luck to you.

14. Both of my grandfathers were in the Air Force, they both told me it was great. Of all the people I know who were in the military, NONE have told me they wish they hadn't gone. An accident at a young age kept me from passing the physical, I really wish I could have gone in. It should be mandatory to go in after high school, especially the way some of these punks behave nowadays. That's as close to a rant as I will get on this one. If it feels like the right thing to do, do it!

15. Joined AF to avoid the draft. Hated it at the time but lookong back kinda wish I'd stayed in.

16. mustangsix

mustangsix

There were ups and downs over 24 years, but mostly ups. I learned a lot, not only about "stuff", but about people and how to lead them. It really paid off.

The pay while I was in was not always as good as my civilian buds made. They had the advantage of being able to stay put and accumulate houses, cars, jobs.....but I'm retired now for five years. My Army retirement pay alone is more that a lot of poor slobs make at tough jobs. My family's health care is taken care of for life.

I would do it again in a heartbeat. I miss it everyday - my friends, the men and women I led, the adventure, and yeah, even the danger. If I were 30 years younger, I would do it all over again, without hesitation.

17. Sent you a PM

18. Hey Psychobilly...............shove off "mate". Maybe it's tahtw ay down under, but in America we proudly serve our nation. And, by-the-way, our current president did serve. How about yours? Sorry, but you struck a sore spot with me.

19. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

Joined the AF back in the early 80's, like others said I was kind of indifferent. I was pretty immature, didn't take advantage of the situation, and got out. Looking back it was a pretty good time in my life.
    It's a big decision but I think you can't go wrong by serving your country.The 60's leftovers might tell you different.I wonder if they think there's anything worth fighting for?

20. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

Thanks!

21. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

I would still be in prison if it weren't for the USN straightening me up. Do what is right for you, it was the right move for me as I was headed down a dark road. I am very proud of my service to country, and loved it after boot camp set me straight.

22. Lowbrow52

Lowbrow52

I have been in the Navy for 13 years. I have loved every minute of it. I am married and have two daughters. I just got back from the Persian Gulf last week. Don't let other people influence your decision. I did it to get out on my own and travel. The one thing I can say is I got a sister in the Air Force and she says the advancement sucks. To everybody that says he shouldn't good thing everybody doesn't think like you or you wouldn't be able to express that opinion.
    Proudly Serving

23. Dman

Dman

I was in the Air Force from 90-94. I was originally going to join the Navy but they were dicking me around so joined the AF as an electrician. For me it was like a job where you wore a uniform.
    I spent 2 years at Spangdahlem AB in Germany and had a good time. I took a lot of weekend tours and saw a lot of Europe that way. There were tour companys that picked us up on base.
    The next 2 years I spent at a base in Indiana. They were 2 different Air Forces. In Germany it was more fun and more of a party atmoshpere. The people were more like family. In Indiana lots of people drove home for the weekend to see their family so you did not get as close with people.
    What I learned in the military is:
    NEVER volunteer for anything!!
    Stand up for yourself. If you don't nobody else will.

Somebody else already said this but make sure you get a job that you want in writing. That is very important.
    If you get the chance to be stationed overseas do it. For me at least it was an experience that you may never have again to experience different countries and cultures.

Dennis

24. Retrorod

Retrorod

I joined the Navy right after high school in 1966, just ahead of a draft notice. I ended up in the first group of students in a brand new rate "Aviation Ground Support Electrician". It was awesome learning how to fix and maintain that equipment which was VERY close to my hot rodding background. I became a "professional student" through my whole military career ending as a "Flight Mechanic/Aircrewman" on the Grumman C1A COD aircraft and serving a year at Da Nang Airbase. This whole military thing forced me to grow-up, learn to handle responsibilities and taught me a bunch of skills that I use to this day. I highly recommend military service, it ain't no picnic, but it's definitely worth any minor sacrifices.

25. Amen.

26. Steel Coupes

Steel Coupes
    from Midwest

One of the categories in this poll has really lowered my opinion of some people here. :( , and now that I read the posts, a couple are downright maggots.

27. flypa38

flypa38

There are alot of posts here that really struck a nerve with me (DR J) and being fairly new to the board and the Air Force I'll give you a little insight as to what it's like being a new guy.
    Don't let people who take their freedom for granted tell you not to join. If it were up to them we'd never fight for anything and we wouldn't have freedom at all. you ike that hot rod? Thanks someone who made he freedom to buy and build it. "War mongers" defeated the British to give us that right and so did every oher veteran along the way. "War mongers" are fighting for other peoples freedoms too as we speak..........war mongers.........the hairs on the back of neck are standing up and I'm not at all pleased that some of you think your freedom is "free". No one wants war, but to avoid it at all costs.......ask the French and Polish what happened in 1939. All kinds of talk and no action led to Hitler repeatedly breaking the Treaty of Versailles. Then some "war mongers" came along and now they have their countries back.
    Sorry for the rant, but us "war mongers" stand up for ourselves and for good reason.
    As far as joining, I checked it all out and chose the PA Air National Guard. I absolutely love it! Air Guard recruiters at my base are the most honest people in the world. They didn't candy coat a single thing. Recruiters in general may never see you again, but you go to work every day and face the man or woman who recruited you. In my Guard unit we also have a program called "student flight" that prepares you in advance for basic training.......great stuff!
    At first basic training is a little hectic, but if you don't overcomplicate things for yourself and understand that everything you're being taught (be it in a classroom or getting yelled at) is for a reason, you'll even enjoy it! I even liked basic because I kept my head about me and LEARNED. I saw alot of folks that couldn't handle the very small amount of stress the USAF trining instructors put on us and were basket cases......all they had to do was keep it simple, stress avoided.
    Tech school is a rough schedule, but laid back and fun.
    After tech school, being a traditional guardsman, I went home and am now in college. They pay for that just like active duty, but the Guard throws in a little extra called a kicker. And sign on bonuses to boot! Our deployments are MOSTLY voluntary, but remember what your signing up for when the involuntary ones come up. Currently I'm serving one weekend a month that I look forward too every month.
    As far as your job, pick what you want to do! Recruiters will give you a list of what jobs you qualify for, what's available, etc. and go from there!
    All in all it's up to you! If you want to serve your country, learn, earn, and protect even those that call you "war monger", join up. If basic training is scaring you away from it, don't sweat it! Like I said, I actually enjoyed it! Alot of people on here said they regreted not joining and I almost did too. I joined at age 27! No regrets now and I'm awefully proud to serve even those that call me "war monger".
    PM me if I can help you more! Thanks to all of you others who served our country, we wouldn't have hot rods or anything else for that matter without you!
    Johnny

28. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

29. Dirk35

Dirk35

Don’t be a Weenie (you can tell what I originally put, but changed it to Weenie)! Go DO IT!

I too joined the Army in 1991. I enlisted into the Infantry. Then Reserves into a Drill Sergeant Unit. It paid 10k for GI Bill for College, It also paid another 10K in Student Loan Repayment.

In 2003, I was deployed for a Year as a Drill Sergeant to Ft. Sill. I lost my Civilan Job while Deployed because I was working for a Federal Contract job (behind a Desk) and the Contract Changed Provider, and they were required to fill my position w/in three months. Because I could not come off of Duty, they had to lay me off. Took me a whole two weeks to get a new job after De-Mob and even made a little over $4000 more a year. Then I got offered a Federal Job a year after that, which I make GS Scale Pay. I’m in a Military Police Unit now as a SFC Platoon Sergeant, and the work is fine. I will be 37 years old when I get my 20 year letter and can retire from the Reserves. However, you cannot draw Reserve Retirement until Age 60. My current unit has been deployed twice already, and they are looking at deploying us again. It’s a job; you make a tone of money while deployed! I make more money than both of my parents combined and will be able to retire from the Federal Job in about 16 years and can draw that upon retirement.

Where else do you get paid learn to kill people, to jump out of Airplanes, rappel off of buildings and out of Helicopters, Shoot Automatic Grenade Launchers at stuff, run through buildings and kick in doors and shoot at stuff. I can now get a job in just about any law enforcement or Federal Job. :D

For what Service to go into……. I won’t BS you. A bunch of my friends all say the Air Force and Air National Guard is the way to go after you get the fun stuff out of your system while you’re young.

Also, if you want the fun stuff, you gotta be Active Duty, you’ll never get those training in the Reserves.

30. Dirk35

Dirk35

Oh yeah, if you do join something, find a INTELLIGENT person in that same service which you choose, talk to them, make sure your recruiter doesnt screw you around!

You cannot change MOS from a Cook if you really wanted to be a Military Policeman. You cannot get a Bonus latter if you didnt sign for it. Dont let recruiters jerk you around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.