Register now to get rid of these ads!

my short 51 chevy truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by monzadood, Dec 19, 2006.

1. monzadood

monzadood
    BANNED

i been here a few months now so , i guess its about time i put up a pic or two of my current project. it is a 1951 chevy truck. i set it on a s-10 frame. my original frame was rotted out behind the cab. i used a shortbed frame and shortened the bed 6 inches. it has air-ride front and back . i got a suicidedoors.com 3 -link set-up out back. i am currently chopping the top 5 inches.looking for a wider rear-end for the back. i can usually have 4wd s-10s laying everywhere, cept when needed. i am considering a 2 or 3 inch section on it..opinions?

[​IMG]

2. Johnny Black

Johnny Black

You have any side shots of where you shortened the bed?

3. monzadood

monzadood
    BANNED

no. too hard to take pics in my little shitbox of a garage. the pic looks really funky at that angle too.

4. McKee

McKee

Nice paint!

5. brewsir

brewsir

Yea...I dig it! I can't wait to start on my 49 5 winder!!! I'm looking for a s10 right now so I can use the chassis for my truck and the tranny in my kids car! Need a side shot of yours to see if I want to use a shortbed!

6. monzadood

monzadood
    BANNED

i will be pulling it out of the garage if it doesn`t snow here.

7. I did a 4 inch chop and 5 inch section/channel and I think the proportions are almost stock looking. I brought the doors down even with the bottom of the fenders. I've always liked that look.

I've never sectioned a hood and was suprized how easy it was.
    I tacked it to the fenders and made my first cut higher than where I wanted to weld. then I layed the top section down inside the bottom. you see the clickos. I ended up drilling holes and screwing the two halves together. tacked the top section in a couple places so it didn't shift on me. then made a starter cut thru both halves with a die grinder, then made one cut with my little air sawzall and removed the cut offs.You dont have to be perfect because your cutting both pieces with one cut so every thing lines up! then used sheet metal screws with flat washers in the cut line to line up the top and bottom pieces and started tacking and screwing both sides kept moving side to side. when I got to the front I had to relieve it in a couple places (I over did this didn't need to cut so many or so deep.)
    first time around I tack the hood about every foot that came back 6 inches then 3 inches never welding more than 1/4 inch at time. it took about 50-60 passes to fill the whole thing and remember heat from grinding will do as much damage as welding. do everything slow. I grind the welds as i go so I can see the gaps better.

Attached Files:

8. after I finished I found a better way to get the same look, Russ Meeks is a freaking master of this trade and his truck makes me want to start over again

what Russ did was raise the front fenders to line up with the doors and then sectioned the hood. got the same look without losing the interior space. that wrap around backglass is a work of art too! this truck has been on the road over 25 years is just getting the six cylinder rebuilt. he swears that the camaro front clip is the only way to go. but they didn't have s-10's when he built this!

Attached Files:

9. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

That rear window is EXACTLY what should have been there from the beginning. Any idea what it's from? Can't be too hard to cut those fenders down. Highlander and I had a chat about doing a bunch of these mods just last week and poof, here's pics!

Viva La HAMB!

10. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

was the backglass from a 55-59 chevy big window truck?

11. I'd pay for cool paint like that!

12. exactly!!:)

13. He didn't cut them down he raised them. if you trim the fenders you could look like this silver beauty (makes me gag just posting it)

Attached Files: