Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech: The Big T-5 Trans Thread. (Please Contribute info!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brad54, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Me? I've got nuthin' but questions. It suddenly occured to me this weekend that a T-5 would probably be a better choice for my '62 Suburban than other options, simply because it will bolt to the truck bellhousing and won't require new engine mounts/trans mounts.
    I know a bunch of info has been posted in different threads, but I thought it'd be good to have one all-inclusive thread, like the Nailhead tech thread.
    Things we'd like to know:
    What years were they available?
    Speedo drives: mechanical and electric? (If so, what years did electric start)
    What can they be found in?
    Differences in the models (4cyl, 6cyl, 8cyl)
    Are there different tail shaft lengths?
    Are there specific models to avoid?
    Are there some versions that are better than others?
    Input shafts: Are there different lengths and spline counts?
    My application is GM, but what about the Ford stuff?

Let the learnin' begin!

Brad

2. mean gene

mean gene

you would want one from mid 80's camaro ,not sure when they changed to electronic speedo but [88 -89 i think] can also change tail housing from s-10 to move
    shifter foward and level [4 or 6 cyl trans wont take the
    beating the weight of the suburban would put on them] hope that helps some Gene.

3. jerry

jerry

Do your best to find one out of a V8 camaro. Firebird is the same tranny. Then you can find an S-10 tailshaft and cover, earlier models have the mechanical speedo hookup. The gear will have to be moved on the tailshaft though. The mount holes will have to be drilled out to 1/2 inch.

I did the swap in my 65 suburban. Used a T-5 out of an 86 firebird. The clutch disc from an 82 camaro with TBI is an 11 inch with the 26 spline hub. Used the pressure plate and flywheel from the stocker truck.

The 4 cyl and v6 trannys have a much lower gearset in 1st 2nd and 3rd. they don't seem as strong either.

jerry

4. Matthimself

Matthimself

GM 4 and 6 boxes have a 14 spline input shaft as opposed to 26 spline on V8 models. This is true EXCEPT for 93-2002 camaro and firebird V6 tansmissions which have the 26 spline shaft BUT also have the ford toploader trans to bellhousing bolt pattern. I think other 4 and 6 transmissions may also use that pattern. Bellhousing to engine pattern is standard GM on V8 transmissions but rotated 15 or so degrees. 4 and 6 bellhousings have a unique bellhousing pattern. If you make any torque at all get a world class box. These were used in 88 and later f-bodies (I think). Eventually GM used WC in everything. For example the 93-02 camaro V6 tansmissions are all world class and I think later s10's were as well. WC's are easily identified by the countershaft riding on a bearing instead of a bushing at the front of the case. Like 4 seconds on google will find you pictures if you don't know what Im talking about. Ill leave Ford stuff and speedometer drives up to someone else.

5. El Tortuga

El Tortuga

Outside of the shifter location is there any other advantage to the S10 tranny over the camaro/firebird trans? I am toying with the idea of adapting a t5 to my flathead dodge and the shifter location on the camaro/firebird tranny doesn't cause me a problem.

6. slam49

slam49
    from tulsa ok

jeep cj's also used em from early 80's to 86 with the 258 6 cylinder

7. jerry

jerry

The T-t from a camaro/f-bird can be mounted to a standard bell housing to be straight up. If done this way you need to make an adapter to adapt the trans mount angle to the crossmember. Usihg the s-10 taplshaft and top cover you can use a straight up bellhousing and move the shifter forward. I've had t-5s bolted to a60's style aluminum bellhousing, a scattersheild and cast iron old style bellhousings. Used both hydraulic slave cylinders and stock style mechanical linkages.

This isn't rocket science, it's hot rodding! Get out there and do it! There are alot of ways to do this. I put a t-5 in my 65m subburban for a total cash outlay of $150. Including the trans!

jerry

8. Sutton

Sutton
    from BTR

9. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor