Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone from Rapid City SD? possible scammer from out that way

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gasRus, Dec 13, 2006.

1. gasRus

gasRus

Need something checked ,A guy from there is in our area ,bought a car + buying a pile of old car stuff w credit card checks, his credit card co. (US BANK out of Ohio ) will not verify his limit or even IF he is ligit or not ,he's been to 3 of my freinds so far and asking if they knew anyone else w parts ,we got to talking about it at last nights meeting and I thought maybe someone here from out that way may have heard of him. He's probably ligit, but my alarm bells went off when hearing this. PM me ,I do not want to just throw his name out if he's OK,Thanks

2. CrazyD

CrazyD

3. Looks like Dave has it, but I am willing to help if needed.

PM me his name, the car community is small out here, we prob know who he is.

4. gasRus

gasRus

Thanks topdeadcenter thats the way I was thinking, sent a pm Tman

5. SpeedRacer2002

SpeedRacer2002

i had a customer write me a credit card check and i called the company and they couldnt give me any info if it was good or not... and the dude ended up not having the money in the account and fucked me out of about 8500 yeah yeah yeah i know i should have known better but i took it anyway because he was a friend of a friend... live and learn....

6. phat rat

phat rat

For those who might deal with something similar in the future here's a suggestion. I know we deal differently here amongst ourselfs this is for dealing with John Q Public

That's the exact reason I accept nothing but green folding stuff in hand when the car/part leaves my possession. My way of handling that would be, if the guy is legit he should be able to do a cash advance on his card. To hell with the fact that it will cost him a transaction fee and a higher interest rate that way. I want my interests protected and when I'm buying I expect to pay in cash not by check

7. Squablow

Squablow

That has SCAM written all over it. Dude, credit card companies send those checks out to people ALL THE TIME. It'd be super easy for someone to get a bunch of them out of a mailbox. They'd have the name and address because it'd be printed on the envelope. They know the credit card company isn't going to give out info, plus you'd just basically be doing a background check on the guy he stole the checks from.

24 large in one day and he's taking everything with him before the checks clear? Plus, if he's spending that kind of money, I take it he's not real picky on what he's buying. Just whatever you got, he'll deal on. Am I right?

I'm sorry if this is going to offend anyone, but you'd have to be stupid to give this guy anything, and I mean ANYTHING without real actual cash in hand. Have you seen his driver's licence to verify that it's his name and info on the checks?

8. gasRus

gasRus

update we now have -
    his home addy
    PO box #
    cell and land phone #
    SUPPOSED DL # ,checking that this am
    I told him to have his camera ready and take pics of the rig, lic # and a discreet pic of the buyer just in case.
    The car owner cashed the reg. Wells Fargo personal check and it cleared WF w no problem. I am calling the land # this morning to see if he is bogus or what , if he is the police will be waiting for him.
    Question - the car owner has full coverage insurance on the car if he lost the car in this kind of thing, would it not be covered under theft?

9. I dont know if Dave got you the info but the guy is legit. He even borrowed an aquaintances trailor to make the trip. He is just as worried about getting screwed as you guys...hahahhaah, I talked to a gent that knows him yesterday.

10. steele138

steele138

I took a credit card check for a set of heads and intake;still got the check,totally bogus...You don't want to be a asshole but you've got to cover your butt.24 large is serious.
    be careful
    steele

11. Cash. baby, cash. I can understand wanting to make the deal, especially this close to Christmas, but I'd insist on cash. And get one of those markers to check for counterfeit bills too.

12. sololobo

sololobo

Please be careful guys, it is so easy to be burned. I was burned for $6k. by McClure racing of Dallas, Tx. on a 383 stroker, took the $ and no delivery, checking it out I found out he burned several people the same way. FBI got involved and found out the scam, I think the $ total was well into 6 figures and the result was a little probation with no restitution required.This name had been in business for many years with a good rep., but somethin hasppened somewhere. Buyer beware- Seller beware- CASH is king! For what its worth. Sololobo

13. thorkin69

thorkin69

I lost a 34 3w coupe to a PRO. He works the big car shows. He came up to me.and after about 2 hours of talking and haggling,got me down to $42,000. Handed me $1000.cash deposit to hold till monday(said he had to go to ky to get another trailer). Finally shows up monday about 5:00 w/ a certified check(w/watermarks and hologram) and a bank letter of credit. I call the bank and talk to someone there who said"yea, it's good---blah,blah--. we load the car up and off he goes. I head to the bank to deposit the check. 3 days later the feds show up at my shop w/ the news. This guy has gotten over $1,500,000 in the last 3 years and they have never found a part or car. They think they are being sent overseas.The "bank" I called was his partner on a cell phone. It's just about put me out of business. If I don't get some work soon,I'm done for. I'm not that big of a shop and this wiped out my operating capital.
    if I pay for something, I use cash or a M.O. and I do not expect to get my stuff until the m.o. clears. If this guy is on the up & up, he will understand. Good Luck.

14. gasRus

gasRus

Thanks Tman ,He just left w the guys car , he verified the buyers DL w the police, accounts w his bank,1 check has cleared on buyers end- just not sellers bank , As it turns out he bought no parts from anyone here,that was another buyer-the one I met. I'll keep you posted.
    update - 1-8-06

This has been satisfied to both parties- , my apoligies for the misinfo.

15. Ya know its probably none of my business but there is a simple solution to the problem. He can turn those checks into cash at any bank. They have no trouble checking to see if he has the balance on his card.

No worries no problems done seal.

16. It is rare that Dave and I don't know a car person in this area. I just happened to mention offhand this guys name to the right person. Glad the info set you guys at ease, like I said, he was gunshy of the purchase as well!

17. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

Rule #1............No parts until it clears.

There is no Rule #2