Register now to get rid of these ads!

Torque Tube Exhaust (litterally!) Yes or no?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sloppyseconds, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Sloppyseconds

Sloppyseconds
    from Pasadena

I started out with the kit from speedway...I really didnt like the large tubes. And so I looked to another taper. I found it in a Model A torque tube. I had to use two and yes they are a little heavy, but I trust my welds! I just wanted your opinion on if they work or not? I welded them up..they still need some finish welding and grinding, but theyre getting there. I just have a problem with the center pipe...It kinda doesnt look like it belongs there. Its 1 3/4" and the other pipes are 1 5/8". Its kinda hard to see, but it looks off to me....what do you think?
    [​IMG]

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The size is OK ... it's the placement & lack of a curve to match the ends

3. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

ok,,first off,i really dig them,,i like the torque tube and the way its flaired out at the end,,,

its hard to tell with just looking at the pics,,i dont think its the size of the center pipe as much as the curve of it coming out of the header flange,,the other two have a round curve to them were the center kind of twist off of the flange,,,i think you did a great job,,but since you asked for opinions,,:D:D:D

4. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

The heavy guage tube willo give you a deeper sound, set you apart from the same moter.

5. Bugman

Bugman

Yup, its the curve, not the size that throws it off.

6. Terry

Terry

I really like what your doing, but I see your point. I think you either need to curve the secound to match the front. Or sense the front bends back, and the back bends forward at first I think it would also look good to have the middle a fatter tube and come straight out to split the two.

But also I bet no one would ever notice unless you point it out. But if your like me and it bugs YOU, you'll have to do something about it.

7. Hey Mate,

Visually the far left tub bends a little, the far right alot, you need to make the middle one curve somewhere between the two. Does the make sense?

Danny

8. Sloppyseconds

Sloppyseconds
    from Pasadena

Yeah Terry..Its this little stuff that bugs me...I do like the idea of straight out...dont know how good that would look? I just like the sweeps cuase it shows alittle more effort. I was trying to photoshop a different bend in it. Aw hell maybe Ill just run out in the garage and cut it out...I did make up the headers with the speed way kit. Same bends and it came out great! Except for the size of the pipe. Let me dig up another pic to show you that horrible middle pipe!

9. Sloppyseconds

Sloppyseconds
    from Pasadena

See horrible!! Thats it Im going out there!
    [​IMG]

10. jetmek

jetmek

i agree with 302. does the back tube on the pass side match? dont think id go to the trouble to change it tho. please tell me why you bent the pitman arm inside the wishbone? i had someone tell not to do that but i dont see why its not ok. maybe it looks funny not outside? im trying to work out the same tire/draglink/wishbone issue on my a frame/f-1 box.

11. Hi Mate,

Thought I could be of service - a curve sure makes it "fit".

Danny

Attached Files:

12. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Yep, the middle tube needs to bend.. Beautiful otherwise...........

13. Mad-Lad

Mad-Lad
    from California

I think they look great. Although like everyone else, I think the secound tube should have a little curve to it. But if your already done I would just leave it and learn from it for a future project.
    I really do think it came out awsome though.

14. slim53

slim53

I think you nailed it with the first one. What a difference! I love torque tube exhaust.......

15. I agree, I think the first one probably fits better then the second.

Danny

16. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Hey what can you say, excellent workmanship...... Change the centre tube incoporating a slight bend and that will certainly complement your caddy motor.....

17. Sloppyseconds

Sloppyseconds
    from Pasadena

Thanks for all the incouragement fellas. Im 24 and trying to make this car stand out from the crowd. I cut it all up last night out of frustration!!! and welded it back up tonight. thanks to our Hambers and their photoshop, I got the idea to just drop the bend a little lower on the second pipe, so now it has a slight curve flowing back. Looks a whole lot better! Thanks again...Ill get a pick up asap. I didnt have my camera at the shop.

18. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

Sooo......... whadja do with the speedway units?Wanna sell 'em?

19. Sloppyseconds

Sloppyseconds
    from Pasadena

The flanges got sold and I used all the bends..and the pipes got trashed fromthe cutting and welding...and alittle hamerring..so sorry nothing left!

20. Roupe

Roupe

Maybe the dull color of the center tube is throwing your eye off. Sand all 3 shiney or spray on some paint to make them all the same color. I like them, nice work!

21. marq

marq

My 2d worth is that it looks just right.From originals i have seen it looks damn close..................p.s leave it....Marq