Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech: The beginning of a 32 roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bones35, Nov 26, 2006.

1. bones35

bones35

Ok, well this is a 32 chevy i found a few years ago at a swap meet. Its a coupe that has had the top cut off. i sold it to a good buddy of mine Jack and he has been working hard putting model A patch panels on the bottom to make a new clean bottom line. Today we got to work a few hours and actually got started making these skins into a body witch is no easy task if you know anything about chevys, with out the wood they are thin pieces of sheet metal.

here is a pic of the body that i mocked up after i got it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the afternoon started off good bottle in hand and cigar.
    [​IMG]

2. bones35

bones35

allright the first thing we did was lay out the body on the floor with a center line like you would if you were framing a wall. then we built the frame to match the lines
    [​IMG]
    Jack had already braced the cowl up square and built new A pilliars for the hinges. we leveled the subframe and then welded the cowl inplace checking it for plumb and square, pretty straight forward.
    [​IMG]
    A little carnage be carefull with the grinder
    [​IMG]
    Anyway we braced the cowl some more and made a bracket for the dash to bolt too
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Mandentory carnage it is a wonder I have any fingers left.

4. bones35

bones35

More pieces to the puzzle
    [​IMG]
    We are going to use hinges from the hard ware store on this one there is little to no weight on these doors they should hold up fine we made them level and had to add to the lower hinge to keep them square.
    [​IMG]
    front shot
    [​IMG]
    anyway not much tech here, just the start of a car but i thought is was worth sharing. good times and i only drank half the bottle in three hours
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. skipstitch

skipstitch

So the contents of the bottle were to sterilize the wound or numb it???LOL...

Dig the roadster.

6. Looks good so far, keep em coming!

7. bones35

bones35

This is Jacks car, the plan is to pull this body and put the roadster on. this body will be up for sale or is i guess
    [​IMG]

8. bones35

bones35

that wasnt my hand so no the bottle didnt help jack out his was on his pescribed pain killer !!!BEER!!!

So the next thing on the agenda is to make sure the doors are square to the a pilliars, reinforce them and weld them on. Then we will attach the rear and brace it should come together pretty quick. i will bring the camera the next time we get together. cory

9. headhunter

headhunter
    from Austin, TX

Cory and Jack - awesome progress on the roadster! The patch panels look great and so does the dash. I love the pic of the bloody hammer...

So, you aren't channeling it at all?

Can't wait to see it at the Round Up!

10. Tin Can

Tin Can

So what is he wanting for the sedan body?

11. jervin

jervin

Marc- we are going to channel the shit out of it. Those supports will fit outside of the rails.

12. jervin

jervin

That's not a bloody hammer-I Painted red on all my tools because my neighbor kept taking them and not putting the back.

13. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

tell him i'll trade a 401 Nailhead and a couple trannys, that someone left in my garage for the past couple years, for that body. :D

14. headhunter

headhunter
    from Austin, TX

Cory - glad you are channeling it, I didn't have Jack pegged as a "high boy" but you never know :D

Hilarious about the hammer - I forgot all your tools were red. You gotta admit, though, it looks like Jack just kept wailing away with his bum hand in a haze of bourbon...

15. bones35

bones35

Well got to do a little work on the roadster, welded up the doors and on rear quarter the next step is to bend the rear 1x1 to connect the two quarters together. we will use the sand filled meathod to make this bend should be fun.
    [​IMG]
    Door frame
    [​IMG]
    door frame with bent 1x1 to make the line that wil go the length of the car, and give the interior somthing to go to.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the door fit this is not bad considering what we started with
    [​IMG]
    jack grinding on the latches

16. bones35

bones35

[​IMG]
    Ashot of the interior with the B pilliar welded and the door swinging on its own
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Well ill tell you what the lines of the car are looking real good, it should have a nice gental curve and im real happy with how its turning out, Jack is getting excited. the cool thing about this build is the chasis is done. cory

17. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

That pedestrain sign in the background just screams door pannel! Cool project. You guys should be feeling good by now! Ha

18. bones35

bones35

im sure the owner wil chime in but im voting for full pleated boat style interior

19. headhunter

headhunter
    from Austin, TX

Looking good guys! Love the line of that rear quarter - well done.

20. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan

Corey/Jack,

Let me know when you are going to bend that 1x1 for the rear quater. I want to help, watch and learn. It is amasing watching this thing come together.

Morg.

21. chaddilac

chaddilac

Any more progress on this one?? I'm anxious to see!!

22. chaddilac

chaddilac

Nice work by the way!