Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thought and or Opinions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sinner13, Dec 1, 2006.

1. sinner13

sinner13
    from Buffalo NY

As Im getting closer to paint on my 51 chev, I need to get the glass for it, I really can't decide between the 1 or 2 piece windshield.

Any benefits of one over the other?

Thought? Opinions?

2. old beet

old beet

If you have stainless trim around the W/S and use a one piece Olds W/S, think about the gap in the trim, top and bottom. A filler piece will be needed if you don't have the Olds trim. Been told someone makes this, but have been unable to find them. Just a thought!..........OLDBEET

3. Ghostrdr

Ghostrdr
    from Missouri

The two piece stuff looks more period I suppose.

I always liked the wired filled safety glass from old grade school window's, but I doubt it would be as cool to have if you had to look through it to drive.

4. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

The Olds windshields look a lot cleaner to me.

5. QuakeMonkey

QuakeMonkey

The latest Rod & Custom has an aricle by Pat Ganahl that covers the conversion to one piece on his 52. He mentions dealing with the missing trim pieces as well as mounting a new rear vision mirror. It's definitely worth reading if you're unsure at this point.

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

to me the two piece ads character. I'm keeping mine even though my car will be chopped, most of the chrome removed, frenched head and tail lights. not going to peak my hood either.

it's funny, I've had several people tell me "you can put a one piece olds windshield in that car"... as if i didn't know.

just because you can, doesn't always mean you should.

7. I don't really have an opinion one way or the toher. i usually use whatever is handy.:D

But if it will help you decide I think it was about '68 or so that R&C ran an atricle about split windshield cars and how they could still be found if you just looked one of them " Thars gold in them thar hills" articles. My point is that split windshileds are cool they always were cool and unless we spend our life letting other folks decide for us they always will be cool.

8. sinner13

sinner13
    from Buffalo NY

I kind figure that it was a "cool" mod back in the day, so people all jumped on the band wagon and did it. Now there are more one piecers than two, I may just stick with the 2 piece to be different ;)

I see Bob's sells a one piece also to fit...cheaper than the 2 piece...I have no moldings so that wont be a factor...

9. old beet

old beet

Bob has the new seal also, offered me a discount too!........OLDBEET

10. The one piece is a traditional mod. You asked on a traditional board. That's what you get…

11. sinner13

sinner13
    from Buffalo NY

Either way, he is getting my business

12. sinner13

sinner13
    from Buffalo NY

True, but from time to time I feel a little non traditional ;)

13. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

In that case, keep it bone stock. Nobody around here does that, so it'll be real different.:)

14. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

15. sinner13

sinner13
    from Buffalo NY

Bryan, I think your right, something about sitting low with the big roof and split glass that I like...If I wack the roof, then maybe a one piece will go in....

16. It's been 20 minutes...I changed my mind on the chopped version...

[​IMG]

....I like the split windshield on my friend's '52 here...crap, I like 'em either way. Looking through the Custom 50's Chevy thread, the majority of 'em are one-piece, chopped or not.

Bryan

17. sinner13

sinner13
    from Buffalo NY

True, gives ya another little thing to look at....

18. markanthony

markanthony

Thought....

if you have two panes of glass and one breaks, all you have to do is replace 1... with the 1 pane (olds) you have to replace the whole windshield.

Again if the car is going to be chopped... and the glass is cut, if one of the 2 panes get's screwed while getting it cut you have to only replace one...

19. sinner13

sinner13
    from Buffalo NY

Let's hope the new ones go back in better than the old ones came out ;)

20. Good points.

One more...on chopped cars, that's two pieces of custom glass...$$. If you're as resourceful and skilled as some HAMBers, it doesn't matter.

Bryan

21. LUCIFR

LUCIFR
    from Seattle

if its chopped a 2pc probally wont break?? as easy as a 1pc can later down the line

22. sinner13

sinner13
    from Buffalo NY

Well, I called Bob last night and he hooked me up with a new 2 piece and the gaskets for the front and back....done deal.

Thank you guys and thanks Bob for the hook up.