Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are these FRONT tires too tall?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Then i need to raise the front more, and it's already up 3". It's a borderline thing if you read all my posts it may make more sense what i have here

2. brandon

brandon

found a shot of the car.....after switching out the redlines ...and installing the caps.....the blurred one is the before shot .....but its hard to make out...and the wheels were 14".....brandon

Attached Files:

3. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

May I ask what brand of 5-spokes are those?

4. Yeah, it's kinda what i was thinking. The car was filthy from being outside for 3 weeks, i put the rears on this morning, and the fronts on after lunch, all the while adjusting the front suspension. SO, i think i need to lock the garage, and look at the final product all at once tomorrow morning............BAM, and decide. Keep in mind everyone, some of you are getting off track to the original question. I need to decide on keeping the front tires. The rears are keepers, so THOSE suggestions(and a lot of others) are moot(?)

5. Park it out front for a week. Every morning when you walk out to it --;) "It"- ......will tell YOU if it looks right.......
    If at the end of the week, you still aren't listening,change it!

6. laid55

laid55

car looks cool with those.but.....with that skinny of a rim,a 205/75/15 would look perfect.still tall and a bit skinnier.

7. ET's, and they're really nice. Well proportined. The new Americans are AWEFUL. Little "picket" like spokes

8. Every dam angle looks different. I think i'll remove the 215/75/15's, run a 205/75/15, and whatever it is, it is. Thanks all.
    [​IMG]

9. Agree, every friggin angle looks different. I'm going one size smaller tomorrow, and i'll try and sneek the nose up a little more, and see if dropping the ass 1 inch does anything for the "look"

10. 2manybillz

2manybillz

I think an inch on each end will do it - the front tire look I remember was the narrowest 78 series you could still get to seat on the rim so the tread looked way narrower and the sidewall bulged out to the wheel.

11. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Thanks Groucho....
    I agree..a very tuff 5 spoke...the best on the market today and a huge range
    of assorted sizes

Car looks right
    drive it.

12. Looks good to me. 205-75-15's might help the fronts appearance.

13. chuckspeed

chuckspeed

I figured it out!
    It's not the stance - it the paint!
    It's supposed to be GREEN!

14. drkgrn57

drkgrn57
    from rowlett,tx

To figure out the dimensions of a p-metric radial, multiply the first number (in your case 215) by .03937. This will give you the section width of the tire in inches. This is how wide the tire is, not the tread width. Then take this number and multiply it by the aspect ratio (i.e.75). This will give you your sidewall heigth. Multiply this by two and add your wheel diameter and you will get the overall heigth of the tire. These are ballpark numbers, but make it a lot easier to decide on a tire size before you shell out the bucks.

.03937 X 215 = 8.365. Section width.
    8.365 X 75 = 6.274. Sidewall height.
    6.274 + 6.274 + 15 = 27.548. Overall heigth.

15. WHOA! TOO much info. Thanks, but it's hard to tell the "look" unless you actually stick the combo on the car. So this is a vote on how THIS looks, NOT how to figure tire sizes. A lot of posts are getting off point. Thanks, but it's not what i'm after

16. Cshabang

Cshabang

i don'tthink the tire is too tall...if you wanna raise the front abit more..what about the coil spacers that sit on top of the coil...something like a leveling kit for 4 wheel drive trucks..I think Rough Country sells them...car looks good man...or even moroso race coils..they're cut to length...

17. brandon

brandon

found this shot from back in the day ....might be something sorta base tire size off of.....brandon

Attached Files:

18. PS- i think an easier way is 215 is how many milimeters the tread is wide, and 75 is the sidewall is 75% of that high

19. rattlecanrods

rattlecanrods

Exactly!!

I think you are over analyzing it. I was gonna suggest dropping the rear an inch, but it would kill the street stocker look. If anything jack everything up an inch and/or throw the right size ETs out back and skinny steelies up front.

BTW I think it looks great and the wife does too.

20. NOBILLETA

NOBILLETA

If your looking for a perfect 60's street brawler look, take it from someone who lived it, you have it nailed just the way it is. I would'nt change a thing, it looks great. Oh yeah, and in that configuration it will also drive great!

21. Thanks. I "own" all the wheels and rear cheaters, so the only variable now is the front tires. I'll give em back in trade for 1 size down, and adjust the suspesion slightly after that. I'm not going to be happy with those front tires.

22. Hey man, New York. I "lived" it too as an underaged spectator right there in New York (Brooklyn) as well!!!! Moved here in 69 when i was 14. So, leave the "ballooney" front tires alone? I like the "street brawler" thing too

23. Doug F.

Doug F.

Too tall. My absolute rule is that the fronts can not BE taller than the rears; and even if they are not, they can not LOOK taller than the rears. These LOOK taller and may in fact BE taller.. Only you know for sure,

24. gasser55

gasser55

groucho YES they look to tall, the tires fill in to much of the fender well if you were able to see a little more of a opening through the fender the car would have a lot meaner look.

25. T-Roy

T-Roy

Man, I thought I was the only guy out there trying to find the EXACT look. I've had so many different wheel/tire combos on my '65 Impala that as of now, I've ended up with 235 70 15 (15x7 rally) fronts and 255 70 15 (15x8 rally) rears. I'm pretty happy with the look and ride, but I've got a set of 16x8 1/2 torq thrust style and 15x6's that will be on the car pretty soon. The rear tires are 29" tall and not sure yet what size tire for the front. I'm trying to get the same look outta my car as you are with yours.

That's a bitchin' car Groucho. It'll look great whatever the final decision is. :cool:

-Troy

26. I agree, and although the fronts are a 1/2 " shorter than the rears, it don't matter. If they LOOK bigger, it's still wrong. I'm going one size smaller tomorrow, tweaking the nose up a taste and lowering the back 1". I know there's been negativity towards lowering the rear, but 1" won't be too noticable, but should give the desired effect. If not, i go back up. No biggy

27. plan9

plan9

groucho, heres the pic i was talking about earlier today..
    similar, although obvious difference in tire type.

[​IMG]

28. Here's a 6.00 -15 BFG Silvertown Bias ply on a 6" wide rim on my '55... yes, that's a shell holding the front fender up...

The CLOSEST thing to the 6.00 is the 165SR75 that I gave you a link too... trust me on this... if you want a radial, it'll look titts. they also have that old time Pirelli look to them... (If you don't remember Pirellis on drag cars in the 60's... you weren't really there... hahaha)

How wide is your rim? If I remember right... you have a 5" rim...

And if you ask me... the wheel does not look too tall, but it looks too wide on that rim to be a "street racer" wheel tire combo...

Sam.

[​IMG]

29. That looks GREAT, but it looks like it'll bring the nose down too much. Looks about 25" to me. Sure i remember the Pirelli's. I have 165's on the Vette, and the 51 AWB car. THIS car needs a little help from the tire to kick the nose up. That's why i didn't do 165's on this. Believe me, i want to. For my taste, the 165's a no-brainer killer profile

30. How about 165's and taller springs?

Hey, did you sell the altered?

Sam.