Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cool old stock car racing photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by curtiswyant, Nov 17, 2006.

1. curtiswyant

curtiswyant

These are from the book "Driving with the Devil" which is a history of moonshine runners and early NASCAR...enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Anyone doing the vintage stock car look with their ride? Photos, please.

Anyone have any resources or websites for this style?

3. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

I painted this this Mid 70's style modified and CC it on ocassion:

I don't think there are many of us on here that are oval track oriented, though Modifieddriver and Racer5c (I think that's his ID) are.

Here's a couple of links you may find of interest...

http://www.modseriesscene.com/gallery/MSS?page=4

http://www.3widespicturevault.com/index.html

http://www.vintagemodifieds.com/

Attached Files:

4. k9racer

k9racer

A few good ones with links.. Kilbeys racing photos, miss chicken #34, and all one word alabamaracingphotos, these are good ones also Ithink hermitige ridge, and junk racers.. Those photos of the 22 are Raymond Parks cars he is still alive and the only one that is alive that started NASCAR in 48,, Mr Parks in his 90s still works every day at his beverage store..

5. upzndownz

upzndownz

langhorn 71 and islip speedway 71

Attached Files:

6. Cool Pictures Yes indeed! I like those Thanks!:D

7. Indocil Art

Indocil Art

8. HiLandR

HiLandR

Nice pics, thanks for all the time you took to scan and post them!

9. Drive Em

Drive Em

I have a pretty cool street driven '64 Custom (Galaxie 2 door sedan) with the ole stock car vibe. It has the traditional vibe as well with little chrome, no billet and plenty of cool old school goodies on it. It has a full roll cage, weight jacks in the front and a stock car style spring loaded spring rod above the rear end. It also has a full floating Frankland quick change rear end. The engine is a 351 Cleveland (it's not an FE,but no one knows the difference) with an Accel tach drive dizzy, Hilborn belt driven fuel pump and circle track valve covers. The tranny is a Tex Racing Borg Warner Super T-10 4 speed with a Ram clutch and a Howe hydraulic throw out bearing. The tires are Goodyear Eagle 27.5 x 12 rain tires on 15 x 10 Allied racing wheels. The fenders and rear quarters have been fully radiussed for tire clearance, not like some of the weenie attempts at the Nascar look I have seen where the builders don't have the gonads to cut the sheetmetal. I drive it on the street as often as I can with what is left of the original light blue paint. I will get around to painting it someday, but I am having too much fun with it right now. Is any one interested in some pics?

10. cornernfool

cornernfool

Hell ya, I want some pics now. Sounds bitchin.

11. gasit

gasit
    from Dago

RETRORIDE, thanks for the cool links. Great to see some real race cars,especially from way back when. Love to see all those PINTO Mods. Heres my Pony Stock ,ran at the recently defunct CAJON SPEEDWAY San Diego.My feeling is , if there is a track where you live and your not running ( Car , Bike) something, your really missing out.
    [​IMG]

12. 2002p51

2002p51

13. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Yeah, that was us at Concord. The driver (a rookie) was a little cautious; it was his first time out in that car and first time at that track - Concord is one wicked fast half miler. Hey INDOCIL; the modfieds put on a hell of a show there don't they? A 15.333 pole speed for a 1/2 is flying!

Hey Cliff! Nice pics ! Thanks for posting.

14. HELL YES!!! YOU'RE CAR SOUNDS LIKE EXACTLY WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!!! LEMME SEE IT!!!

15. GOSFAST

GOSFAST

Very good friend mine (and many of my customers) still runs one today on the "nostalgia" circuit. A "flathead" of course! Runs out of upstate N.Y. with a unit we did a few years back. Kind of takes you back in time somewhat. Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

[​IMG]

16. long island vic

long island vic

the 99 is geoff bodine,the first modified too have power steering behind him in the coupe is the great one richie evans # 61..the fastest time ever recorded at daytona,even faster then elliot.. the #1 stang is george brunhezal 15x is billy spade #1 coupe is charlie jerzumbak 7 11 is al de anglia 11 is maybe ray hendrecks and 69 is????jan leavy or merv trieckler ???

17. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Actually ,Freddie Harbach The Flying Dutchman, was the first to have power steering, he told me Geoff saw it then copied it. But Geoff's Valiant was way ahead of it's time, I remember seeing it for the first time when I was a kid at Laghorne.

7 11 is Junior Ambrose or Joe Kurkowski. The 69 is the Ed Cloce Hemi Cuda driven by Canadian Jean Guy Chartrand. Ah Modifieds, they defintely have their roots in hot rodding.

18. long island vic

long island vic

of course its jr in the 711 ..i was thinking of the ace of spades,,,,brain fade.....i ended up wt the harbach coupe made it the green 13 gave it too marty himes he sold it

19. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

The old Butch Maciecka (sp?) coupe that Freddie drove, that was the first car I ever messed with when me and Marty Jr restored it for Marty.

20. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

This one?

Attached Files:

21. LongnLow

LongnLow

lets see em! I have a 67 gta fairlane with a 390 that i'm seriously thinking about doin something like this to.

22. Deano

Deano

23. upzndownz

upzndownz

actually that day in 71 that hemi cuda was driven by jim hurtibese the indy(ROADSTERS ONLY!) car driver// it didn't last long he crashed and burned it minutes after i took that shot

24. long island vic

long island vic

thats the one, was 454 3 speed full windshield with a falcon hood then, i miss it

25. cornernfool

cornernfool

What happened to the guy with the 64 Ford done up stock car style and the pictures he was going to get? Still waiting. Thinking of doing my 53 Lincoln stock car style. Lets see some pics.

26. rad red

rad red
    from MN

From 1971:
    Owned by my Phil and his Wes
    Driven by Romie Alderman
    Track: Craig Road Speedway, Las Vegas, NV
    [​IMG]
    Track is gone (under houses)
    Convention Center dome is gone (under a big ugly box)
    Car is gone (who knows where...)
    Romie's gone (died last year)
    Only dad and this pic remain...

27. flynj1

flynj1
    from C.B. IOWA

Some pics of the cars I ran. The white car is a 34 chevy and the first 6cyl car I ran with GOTRA out of Nebr in I think around 1996 or so. The orange one is the same car but new owner and baddly needed paint job.

Attached Files:

28. flynj1

flynj1
    from C.B. IOWA

These are the two cars I ran with CVRA out of Iowa The Orange is 36 chevy mod and the white/blue/orange is a 34 chevy mod/super mod.

Attached Files:

29. How about something from the early sixties?