Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sun super tach

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clutch 2, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Clutch 2

Clutch 2
    from Maryland

I recently purchased a sun super tach that had a november '68 manufacture date. I was just curious if anyone knew what year they first came out.

2. rasputin

rasputin
    from Chicago

If I remember correctly, the stand alone Super Tach came out around '66.

Before that there were some tachs that looked similar but still required a transmitter.

3. Mutt

Mutt

Sun Super Tach (SST) ad from May '62.

Mutt

4. My Sun Super tach has a '64 or 5 build as I recall. I took it apart when I got it home from the swap meet land new wires and was stoked to see it was the right time period for the Pusher.

5. Clutch 2

Clutch 2
    from Maryland

Cool! Thanks guys. That's a neat ad.

6. rasputin

rasputin
    from Chicago

Now I'm curious...

Is yours like the one pictured in the ad, or the kind that has the words SUPER TACH on the face? I have a SST series 9000K tach in my GTO with a '65 date on it but it still uses the EB-9A transmitter.

Anyone know when the first transistorized ones that don't need a transmitter and say SUPER TACH on them came out?

7. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

My dad has a super tach just like the one pictured, no writing. I have a no transmitter one dated 1970 I really wanted to use, but I don't think it works.

8. teddyp

teddyp

i had one in 64 that had just the tac no box

9. Mine is a Super, says super tach on the face. On the tach itself it had a month and either 64 or 65. No brain box, stand alone tach.

I remember thinking that they didn't come out until about '67 or 8 but I only gave a nickle for it and it has a chrome steel cup not like the plastic super IIs.
    So I was plesently surpirzed when the date was as old as it was. Mayhaps they actually started building them a year or so before they started selling them???

10. rasputin

rasputin
    from Chicago

Thanks PnBnr. That's a really cool chunk of info.

I really dig the early Super Tachs too. The metal cup and the metal knob for the telltale needle make a world of difference. They have more weight and a feel like they are of a higher quality than later ones.

11. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I'm sure they are. I'm running a half sweep dated 57 in my coupe. I got a nice transmitter and threw a couple batteries in it and it's been working for 2 years now.

I wish I knew more about the '60's-70's ones that don't need a transmitter. There doesn't seem to be much info on those. I'd still like to run the one I have in another car.

12. I've got one I bought new in 1976. It has the plastic cup. Any other differences from the early ones?

13. Clutch 2

Clutch 2
    from Maryland

Rasputin,mine has "Sun" in block letters and "Super Tach" written in script. A buddy of mine has one with a manufacture date of 11/69 and it looks identical to mine which has a 11/68 date.