Register now to get rid of these ads!

kinda O/T, need ideas on getting a truck unstuck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by soberTOOLman, Nov 4, 2006.

1. soberTOOLman

soberTOOLman

So I was out offroading with my buddy earlier and we got his Jeep stuck. The ruts were alot deeper than they seemed(sitting water). Then to make the day better, i grabbed my explorer to see if i could get him off the ridge, and as im most the way to his car, using a diffrent line to avoid the ruts, i hit a really soggy spot and sink in. So now we got two small trucks stuck and cant get either free. So they are stuck and its to far into the trail for a tow truck and my neighbor tried with his truck and couldnt get either of them out cuz of the soft soil.

so i pose the question, do you guys have any ideas?

or are we SOL untill the ground dries?

2. dave s

dave s

how close together are they?? do you have a winch? or a come-a-long??

3. soberTOOLman

soberTOOLman

4. winch , if you can find something solid and strong to attach it to

do you know anybody with a tractor? a 4-wheel drive one and a VERY long chain

5. soberTOOLman

soberTOOLman

no winch, and no trees in a mannor that we could attach it to. no trackors outside of the lawn tractor i have for mowin my lawn

6. overthehillracer

overthehillracer

What did your wives say, when they found out?

I once was involved in getting a car, two trucks, & a tractor, stuck in a wheat field. Alcohol was definately involved, & we had to wait untill it dried up. LOL.
    Good Luck!

7. DIRTYBIRD

DIRTYBIRD

Are you sittin on the frame yet??? If your aren't try putting carpet under the tires . I've gotten out of slippery ass mud and sand with it. It gives you great traction. Air down your tires too.

8. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

Winch with a long cable, winch truck on solid ground, if no tree aroung chain up to an old wheel and tire and bury it as an anchor. Had to pull three trucks out of a mud bog once and ended up pulling the bumper off one, (he hooked it up himself by the way)

9. soberTOOLman

soberTOOLman

dirty bird im not on the frame but my buddies jeep is. and my truck tires are dead, i was actually putting new ones on next week.

10. afan

afan
    from michigan

i used drive a wrecker along time ago, but on occasion we had to call a local construction guy . he had a small dozer(D4 cat) to come the rescue not cheap. or maybe a guy with rubber tired loader(988 cat)that works .GOOD LUCK!

11. Go buy a come-a-long and some winch cable and a tree strap and get to work.
    Can you get a small jack under the axle of the jeep? If so, get large piece of thick plywood and some 2x4s to distribute the weight so the jack doesn't sink. Once you get the axles up, straddle the holes with some 2x6s or wider. Then slowly drive out replacing the 2x6s once you reach the end.

12. junkyard junky

junkyard junky

From experience, 4x4 truck is better than a small two wheel drive tractor.

13. Get a high lift jack. The chin busters. Put something solid under the truck and go. They have almost a 3 foot lift. just watch your face and hold on to the handle quite firmly with body weight applied when lowering it. The handle tends to have a mind of its own.

They will also tip over so have a guy or 2 on either side of the truck to keep it from falling.

Stuff some wood or whatever under the tires, let it down and drive away.

14. steevil

steevil

Desertratrodder has it right.

Use the high-lift jack (aka: Bumper jack, farm jack, Jack-all) and lift the vehicle high enough to shove something under the tires.

You can also use the jack as a winch but you did say that there are no trees around.

Another method is to jack the truck up as high as you can...then push it over.

The truck will lever over to the side. Keep doing this until the tires are on solid ground. (don't worry, it will land on its wheels)

I would start with the Jeep first and then use the Jeep to pull the Explorer out since the Explorer (depending on year) dosen't have much of a front bumper to jack up on.

Bring a shovel when you return. It serves as a solid base for the High-lift jack as well as using it to dig the truck out.

Another trick that works is to lightly apply the parking brake. Most domestic SUVs come with either an open diff or a limited slip.

Limited slip dosen't actually work the way you think it does. If one tire is spinning, it will shoot all the power to the wheel with the least traction...making it useless if both tires are stuck.

By lightly applying the parking brake, you equalize the resistance to both rear wheels essentially turning your open diff or limited slip into a locker. This may help get the Explorer out.

Also, try steering the front wheels back and forth in quick motions while trying to back out or solder on. Sometime the action of using the shoulder lugs on the tires is enough to get you un-stuck.

Try airing down the tires a bit. Running 10-15 lbs in tires can greatly increase it's ability to deform around obstacles as well as increase the footprint.

Another method is to use a tow strap as a winch. This of course only works if there are trees around and you need a buddy to help.

With the transmssion in reverse, and the parking brake lightly applied, Wrap the tow strap around the tire.

Have it wrap over itself (loose end on the ground) and you will use the rear axle as a make-shift winch.

One of you will be controlling the truck while the other is guiding the tow strap.

I've done this to pull myself backwards out of a huge snow drift in the mountains at 4:30 am in the morning once.

I get stuck..LOTS.

I've always been able to get myself out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. squirrel

squirrel

16. soberTOOLman

soberTOOLman

Brian - 2
    Mud - NOTHING!!!!!

thanks to everyone and your advice i got our trucks out. I started with the jeep because it was the deepest in. I jacked it up and pushed it over and got it onto solid ground and used it for the rest of the day to get around.

Took the Jeep to go to home depot and get some chains. Wraped one end of the chain to the high Tension power line tower that was 100 or so feet away and then the come-along was attached in between the chain and the tow strap that was attached to my frame. after about 15 minutes of working the come along and the gas i got my truck out.

and now im freshly showered and happier than a pig in shit that our trucks are all set now.

17. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

Rule number one of off roading is NEVER GO ALONE. I do not mean put your buddy in the passenger seat. I mean another vehicle.

Rule number two. Never go off roading without appropriate recovery gear.

I take my rover out all the time, and have never broken these rules. I have also never had to leave my truck out on the trails.

I can not tell you how many times you come across a vehicle out on the trails that has been left to go get help. Only when the owner returns he finds his vehicle has been stripped

18. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

wait, I'm not saying that I would ever steal something from another persons car. I have a big problem with that. My point is that the vehicle has already been stripped when I came across it

19. chopshopboss65

chopshopboss65

a old tire between to tow straps works good to. you get some extra snap out of the deal, and will get you out of trouble with out breaking anything.