Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why isn,t your car finished/ started ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardgenius, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

cuz im to busy working on every one elses

2. voneyeball

voneyeball
    Alliance Vendor

Because if you finish it, all that's left is sitting in the lawnchair and talking about cry babys. Next comes a trailer, then, GOODGUYS!

yikes.

I'm taking my time because it pisses everyone off.

3. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

I just can't seem to make myself stop driving it long enough to get much done.

Attached Files:

4. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I'm too busy driving it! I'll get back to working on it around January because I might be able to squeze enough cash out of nothing to get a couple of parts by then.

See, after all these years, I've figured out that there is never time and money available at the same time, so I make out a list of what I want/need to do. Then when (if?) I have a little extra cash I buy the parts I will need from the list. When I have the time, (and no money) the parts are already waiting. Works pretty well, except you have to cut back to one project at a time. The only time I would buy something for the next car project is if it was a smoking deal, but I would have to really give it a lot of thought. Seen too many people try to do several project cars at the same time and none of then ever seemed to get anything done, or even useable. Got to do one project at a time.
    Gene

5. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

Thee almighty dollar.

Not enough of them to go around right now, but changing very soon.

6. 55kustomline

55kustomline

spent most of my money getting it.

got to get some flat glass, weatherstripping, repaint rims, new WWW's and finally a fresh coat of flat SOMETHING (havent decided on a color) and after the beginning of the new year it'll be ready to go by 2007's lonestar roundup (hopefully)!!

to clarify; its ready to 'go' now, i just want to change a bunch of stuff that the previous owner did to it

7. ENFO

ENFO
    from Tucson AZ

Squirrel said it best, Cause Im LAZY

8. This is soooooooo where I,m at right now. Still, the 5th of November aint far off so I,m hoping for a rocket up the ass to get me going again.

54.5 work hours a week and recent back problems have forced me to leave my projects alone for a while now. I even considered selling the lot, my back was baaaaaad and I just couldn,t physically do much.......whinging bastard.
    However, it,s hanging in there at the moment and I,m full of fresh enthusiasm!Let,s go.

Attached Files:

9. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

Too busy spending time/money finishing my last cafe racer that I am working on right now. Have pretty much everything now, just some fabrication and fitment and it'll be a runner.

Then the rod gets done the next few months after that.

10. Ornery37

Ornery37
    from Texas

One is complete. Others are not started because.
    Keep on coming across other cars that I want more than the ones I have. So, I get rid of then and relize that I actually wanted the one I got rid of more sometimes. It is a sickness I know.

11. Dirty2

Dirty2

I'm just lazy ...:D

Attached Files:

12. Dirty2

Dirty2

Yep lazy

Attached Files:

13. Dirty2

Dirty2

I almost give up

Attached Files:

14. Split Bones

Split Bones

Mental Illness , Work Comitments ..at least that solves the lack of funds....but leaves no time....Collecting Parts for the next project.....in this country ...you gotta grab them when they come up....living in a caravan ..and not having a shed to work out of ...let alone a workshop....going to see my 2 boys ...they live in a different part of the country.....but i dont look at that as a hassel ...but I kiss goodbye to 1 weekend out of 3......the strictish laws that we have here that we have to build by ...cant do anything with out submitting a plan in writing to a forum....the forum has to ok it ....if they dont ...you have to make changes then submit your plan again ....all at a cost.....then it all has to be checked by a certifier as you build .....if you change anything along the way ....it all has to be checked and passed.....and it all costs each visit from the certifier.......it makes it hard to build a car.....but the end result is always worth it

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, let's see here...

Started out to build a BBC Vega wagon bracket racer 5+ yrs ago.

Closed the shop and bought a home in the country and built a 40X30 garage (new shop!).

Sept 04 Mom got sick (cancer) and lasted 6months to the day (still not over it really).

Sold the racecar to build a hot rod before she left us. Didn't make it.

Still having the base project (54 Chev PU), thinking taking care of Dad full time, working full time, as well as the needs of daily living, I ask myself "who the fuck are you kidding?"

So after 5yrs, slow draining of funds, advance of Dad's condition, my own personal health as well as the wife, I find I need to re-think the whole fuckin deal.

So now, the truck is for sale, the sleds are for sale, the side job (!?!) is out, spare driver for sale, and looking forward to starting over some time next year.

With the increase in fuel prices here in MI, driving 300miles a week, both of us, the $$ spent on fuel alone could have built me anyhting I wanted. To add insult to injury I ended my child support obligation in August and now those funds merely take up the slack in fuel costs but the latest drop does help some. Fuck it. I've been doin this all my life with my family and I'll be back. Sooner than I even think...I hope.

16. chopper103in

chopper103in

--------my story also

17. roddinron

roddinron

Damn man, and I bitch about our laws.

18. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

I.m retired for eight years, don.t know how I had time to work before.

19. Because I can't decide what I really want (ADD, I guess) and what I do have I tend to give away.;)

There is almost enough parts in the garage for a modified now, and I started to do a split manifold for a Stovebolt on my lunch hours at work, so maybe something may come of this...

Jay

20. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

I've been busy rounding up some extra cash.

[​IMG]

21. crossthread

crossthread

I an not lazy at all .I'm very busy looking for the wafflelater valve for that carb I traded two tires and half a set of valve covers for.Now if I find a radiator and gas tank that I can trade for something that might work ,I will be well on my way to a finished plan of how to start the build up of my A in time for the next rod run.

22. My reasons are threefold:
    1) Too much day-dreaming. (and reading the HAMB)

2) Indecisiveness. I'd love to make a rear-engine, but it's a lot of work. A conventional front engine would be faster, and I'd be more likely to finish it, but I keep going back to the fact that I'd really like it to be rear engine. More leg-room, and a lower, unobstructed floor pan.

3) Up until a month ago I had no garage. Now my garage is small and full of other crap.

4) Not enough time. Long commute. Two little ones that aren't quite old enough to safely help.

5) Did I mention too much time reading the HAMB?

6) Oh, and mortgage and property taxes make no extra room for fun spending.

Thanks for asking!

23. chitbox dodge

chitbox dodge
    from dunlap tn

house needs as much repair as the car and the recent invite of my step-sisters baby to permanently live with us will drastically change priorities.

24. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fucking pricks from Veterans Affairs cut off my pension!! The fucking turds.
    No money, cant work = no car.
    Half built 28 RPU, no more 38 or Austin A40.
    One day Ill finish it.

Hey did I mention I HATE VA??
    Doc.

PS Fuck VA.

25. 85-percent

85-percent

lack of drive and flawed personal character here.

-85% Jimmy

26. man this thread is depressing! I think I'll move over to the "What did you get done this weekend thread"

I have a photo of an old friend in my shop. he was in a wheel chair from birth till death. his car is at the Hot Rod Museum in Pomona he had no money, job, shop, and couldn't work on cars bigger than a model. His 34 Lafayette called "The Severely Disabled Chicken Coupe" was running in the 11's when he died at 32. he always said "if you want something bad enough, you'll make it happen!" I'm proud that I could help a little with his dream and have my name on his car.
    So looking at all my stalled projects for lack of time, money, space, family, work, whatever else I (or you) use for an excuse is all B.S.!! if I wanted it bad enough I'd have it. on the road.
    Time to get off this screen and out to the shop. see you tonight on the what diddja get done post----------- Jim

27. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

Lack of time, money and skill. If I had money, I'd pay someone to do it. If I had the time, I could get something done and if I had the skill, I wouldn't screw things up and have to buy more crap.

28. I don't buy half the excuses you guys are laying down... if you want it bad enough, you'll figure out a way to have a running/driving hot rod or custom.

The other half of the excuses have to do with champagne tastes and beer budgets. but like the one pic of the rusty chassis and the owner saying "I don't have the money to finish it"... well, you can get out there and sand the rust off, maybe do some side jobs to pay for the parts you need... spray paint ain't all that expensive. My buddy bob built his hot rod for next to NOTHING... but he also spends a lot of time out in the garage.

In the last 6-7 years, I've built four cars for other people, and four for myself (and owned a few more cars in between)... the money I earn working on other people's cars pays for the ones I want to build for myself.

You can also do this with buying parts and parts cars... buy low, sell high. I started doing this when I was about 15... not to friends, but I gather stuff up all year long, and then bring it to Turlock in January... just junk, but I usually come away with a grand or so from just stuff I gathered.

I'm not trying to be a hard ass... ANYONE can be successful with hot rods... the reason I worked my ass to go to college, to finish, get a job... go back to college (twice) to get more degree's and credentials was to pay for my car hobby. In the mix I also worked side jobs, long hours out in the garage to gain more knowledge about cars, the skills, and the finance end of it...
    it really is a lifestyle (not the dress, music, accesory lifestyle).

There are however, drawbacks...

Sam.

29. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Well if it's traditional I know it had to cost at least five grand. Haha :)

And yeah, I agree, some of the excuses are a bit lame. I've been working insane hours for months but still have time for my wife and daughter, plus managed to swap a motor in my roadster to keep it on the road. Not being able to drive it was making me insane - so I was up until 4:00am making the swap happen.

And all of the little stuff like sanding, cleaning, and painting (talking brush or rattle can for chassis work) cost nearly nothing like Sam said. It was crazy how motivated I got once I saw my rolling chassis all black instead of varying shades of rust, old paint, bare welds, etc.

Even if I knew I was going to have to weld another bracket on I didn't care. I would just grind the paint away, weld it on, reprime and paint.

Man... I go through periods where I can barely stand to step into the garage because going in... I know I'm already beat and won't be leaving the work where I want it to be. But I go in anyway because I HAVE to. Unexplainable I guess.

30. 32chevysedan

32chevysedan
    from Texas

Cause I am a lazy ass............:D