Register now to get rid of these ads!

bias and radials..???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fifty5C-Gas, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

i went to a show out in CT. last weekend, and WOW, was the ride bad, i almost lost it like 5 times...(right now im running 5.60-15's in the front and Hurst pie crust slicks in the rear on my 55 chevy) my question is, can i run radials in the front with Hurst slicks in the rear, (only for long trips, on the highway)...thanks,mike

2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Ummm...no. All radials or all bias. The slicks are probably the root of the problem anyways. They aren't built for continuous high speed freeway jaunts.

3. Deluxe

Deluxe

The vintage car tire companies strongly stress that a mix of bias ply and radial tires on a car is very bad. Not sure why. But this is what they (Coker, for example) indicate.

Deluxe

4. AV8-Rider

AV8-Rider

I had a 1950 Plymouth Business coupe a couple of years ago.
    It had radials up front and bias at the back when I got it.

Wonderfull on wet asphalt and curvy roads. I had the widest way of travel.
    A slight turn in more than 35M/h had the door ponting in the direction of movement..............baaaad

Paul

Attached Files:

5. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

Its the front of the car thats all over the place, the rear was fine.

6. brandon

brandon

were the tires balanced....and what was the front end set at ...? as far as toe in ...brandon

7. Aren't your Hurst tires radials? I know mine (31 x 10.5) are made over radial casings.
    If so, the problem is mixing them with the bias tires on the front.

I run 145/15 radials on the front with the Hursts (radial slicks) out back and the car drives like a dream. I even made a 500 mile trip at interstate speeds 70+ back in September. Smooth as glass!

I have yet to drive a car with bias ply tires (even all the way around) that doesn't have a tendancy to pull into the grooves and ruts in the road.

-Jim

8. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

I was running bias plies on the back of my bucket, with radials in the front. It handled ok, but if you hit a section of road that had grooves in it, hang on.
    The radials would not even notice it, but the bias plies would try and follow the grooves.:eek:

9. ratstar

ratstar

This

Attached Files:

10. Mike

Mike

If you are using stock front suspension with stock ball bearings, you might consider converting to tapered roller bearings. They make a big difference in how a tri-five Chevy steers and handled, plus, they last much longer. Ecklers has a kit available to make this conversion www.classicchevy.com . ---CORRECTED LINK---

On my '57 Chevy two door sedan gasser, I run 7.75 x 15 BFG Silvertown bias plys on the front and 8.20 x 15 Radir/MT slicks on the rear. My front suspension is stock stuff jacked up with spacers and converted to tapererd roller bearings. With this set up, I have driven at 65-70mph to both Vegas and Bakersfield and the car handled quite well.

My '57 Chevy Sedan Delivery had the stock ball bearings in the front end when I got it. With the stock bearings, the steering was always a little "twitchy", espescially at highway speed. I recently converted it to the tapered roller bearings, and it drives and steers quite nicely now.

11. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

oh, it has a 60 econoline i-beam front axle.

12. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

I never even thought of that, yes, i guess they are capped radials...SHIT.

13. brandon

brandon

isn't that your ride on the cover of the new rod and custom ....?? brandon

14. eyeball-shifter

eyeball-shifter
    from MA

I have firestone bias plys on the front of my roadster and goodyear wrangler radials on the back. No problem, drives great and doesn't follow grooves. That might all change when I put on my firestone slicks!

15. Mike

Mike

As Emily Latella said, "Never mind".:)

16. CruZer

CruZer

AND for guys who really want to DRIVE their cars !!!!!

17. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

so, whats a decent looking radial to run????

18. AHotRod

AHotRod

I 've been buying Kuhmo 165R-15 for the front of my HotRods, they drive and ride great and are about $40.00 each locally.

19. Yep, that's it.

20. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Yup. My '91 Caprice has radials....my hot rods don't.