Register now to get rid of these ads!

State of the H.A.M.B. Classifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. synthsis

synthsis

ok, there are a lot of posts and I only read a couple but here's my two cents.

I've bought both of my cars from the classifieds section and couldn't be happier. I browse through several times a day and if it were limited to alliance members only I would have missed out on both of my rides, theoretically.
    Why not add more mods? I'm on here enough that I'd volunteer my services. I know I'm new and all but I spend a lot of time online and know the rules, etc. you see what I'm getting at.

2. Serious sellers should have no gripes about becoming an alliance member...they could make the subscription price back in one sale easily. Do what you gotta do Ryan...I'm joining the alliance as soon as I find General Grant laying around in my wallet!

3. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Thanks for all the input guys.

The suggestion for adding more Mods is a good one but from our side of the fence it isn't practical.

We already have three working around the clock and I'm damned proud of the job we do. But we sometimes get crossed up with each other. Rules are always open to interpretation, from the followers and the enforcers alike. We have caused some confusion on more than one occasion where one of us will allow/disallow something the other two are against. Adding more Moderators will increase these occurances exponentially.

This is simply the best way of "verifying" sellers that I could come up with.

4. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

Ryan do what is best for the HAMB we trust and support your decision..

5. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

well, see here's the problem with a requirement like that- in a couple months you've got over 1,000 posts and are a senior member, what does that prove? Post count doesn't mean you're hard core HAMB, it just means you have a lot of posts..... my two cents. There's guys on here with a join date in 2001 that have only 100 posts, what about them :confused:

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

A lot of folks have wondered why I don't add moderators. There are a couple of reasons:

1. Being a moderator takes a special kind of person. How many folks can be called an asshole and not explode? As a moderator, you have to do that everyday.

2. The problem at hand could not be solved with 20 moderators... If a guy doesn't list his address, you just don't have it... I can do some cyber investigations, but with 24 hours in day there is no way I could come through on all of them.

I'm not saying that the Alliance solution is a perfect one. I hate the fact that a struggling hot rodder might not be able to come up with the dough, but I do like that option better than that same guy getting screwed over.

Plus, I didn't start the alliance as an "elitist" deal. I started it to prove that I could fund this place without selling out entirely to advertisers. It's really a pretty crafty business model that absolutely runs to the advantage of the readers. If you've used your alliance membership, you know that.

I don't think that this new classifieds plan undermines that at all, but I do think it might give that perception. That sucks, but it is something I am prepared to deal with.

7. zealot9802

zealot9802
    from SoCal SFV

I completely agree with your idea. I like that fact of that extra step of security as far as only Alliance members being allowed to post. I understand that choosing a new mod is hard work, but there are alot of us that would be more than happy to help out a place that gives us so much for litttle or no money. Just something to think about.

8. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

I think it's a great idea!

9. leadsled01

leadsled01

But what about guys like me that are occasional sellers. $50 a year to sell $100 worth of parts just doesn't make sense. HOW ABOUT A DISCOUNTED ALLIANCE MEMBERSHIP. Say $30 and no Alliance Tag. Or maybe $40 and a HAMB sticker. Come on guys, I really Love the classifieds but hate the thought of being excluded because I'm poor and only need to sell a handfull of parts every year.

10. Sutton

Sutton
    from BTR

Damn good idea....There are 3 to 4 individuals that aren't alliance members that religiously calls dibs on shit, and never actually buy the stuff......Sounds dumb, but this will eleminate alot of this BS.

11. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

Ever think about somehow utilizing the the "reputation points" feature like ebay feeback?

I'm not sure how you would start that out and "get" reputation as far as stopping the crooks. but after 1 or 2 negative reputation in the classifieds you could ban the person,

maybe a seperate free registration to sell int the classifieds that colllects personal verifiable data?

I dont sell much and im ok with anything, just trying to figure out all the options to consider. i know other boards use the "reputation" feature as a big thing on the board as far as dealing with people.

other boards have a simple 1 or 5$ charge for each post. this usually weeds out a lot too.

maybe PM the moderator of this forum http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php

with 30k users im sure they have the same issues too.

InDaShop likes this.
  12. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

Yup. I can't freakin stand that.

I think it's a great idea to have it availble for AM's only, Ryan.

13. luckydevil

luckydevil

14. Think I may be shooting myself in the foot here.....

In reading through this thread I totally understand the intent. Maybe I am misunderstanding, but I am reading that in order to post a For Sale, a membership is required. A membership IS NOT required to purchase though.

With all respect, is there a problem with the Wanted section though?? As others have already contributed, an Alliance membership is not practical for many. I personally am not going to send anything out unless I get paid for it, and the person paying is the one requesting such item. Using above criterea, would not one have to be an Alliance member to purchase anything from..??

Again, I understand the intent, but I see above as a issue that is possibly going against the purpose of the board itself, "spreading the gospel......"

15. Quote:
    is it because the care takers of the HAMB have access to personal information of an Alliance Member in case a deal does go bad?
    I've moved since becoming an alliance member so the HAMB doesn't have my correct address, and is the goon squad concept ever anything more than tough talk on the internet?

From reading this thread it seems some people look at the alliance membership as something they would be forced to do or to get an alliance vendor discount. I mostly became a member because I like this forum and I'm guessing that it's not cheap and easy to run.

Thanks,
    Kurt

16. AHotRod

AHotRod

I say 'Do it' now.

Maybe the quality and the good ole deals will come back around.
    If people don't want to be an Alliance Member, so be it. But if you want to play, ya gotta pay.
    You and the monderators have my total support.

17. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

18. damnfingers

damnfingers

Never ceases to amaze me how people can come up with money for cigarettes and beer and not have it to support a cause they believe in. I realise, as both a FNG and not being an Alliance member (yet), that my comment probably isn't worth the the time it took me to write it, or you to read it, but there it is.

19. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

There most likely won't be 10000s of AMs. Even a smaller number of those are likely to be Fuckwads...

It makes for a far fewer number of Cybersluthing track-downs that have to be done for the TURDS TM.

20. change is good, I Like the idea!

Ryan, whatever the change might be, I know you do it for the best of the site.

So far, so good! :)

Thanks

21. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

ooo, ooo, ooo...another title...

Well, boys, I'm a "HAMB verified seller".......

not only are we taking over the world but i can see the swap meet display signs now.......setting in front of vendors.....

all kidding aside, there might be something to this...

22. luckydevil

luckydevil

23. keith089

keith089

Im in. Just joined.
    Mike

24. I believe I've been screwed by a non-AM classifieds seller. Sent him the $$ & only got half the parts. What damn good is ONE '36 rear radius rod?

Do it boss. Do it.

"RacinJason" from OK - if you're reading this...... answer my PMs, emails, &/or call me at 865-719-9919. I want my f'in part damnit.

JH

25. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

26. heavytlc

heavytlc

I have over 300pm's, double my post count. I have used the classifieds to buy some cool stuff, and 2 cars. I have posted a few want ads and got enough options on the parts I was looking for it was unreal. The Classifieds are far from the reason I come here. I see no problem with it being a AM perk. It may change things in that part of the forum, good/bad I do not know. Do what you need to do.
    This a great place, the classifieds just add to it.

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

You are absolutely wrong.

Your post history makes me think that you are one of the users that gets most of his value from the HAMB through the classifieds. That's cool and I can certainly understand, but this is not a classifieds site first. It just isn't... and never will be...

28. How big is the pool of Alliance members that will populate the new classifieds?.. I bet it's more than enough to keep it interesting.

Do it Poohbah.

LuckyDevil, you have not been paying attention.

29. luckydevil

luckydevil

30. clloyd

clloyd

I think it is a good idea. Can you auto delete the adds after one week? Someone can always repost. That will save some time and labor. Or have a box on the persons profile page with limited space. With just the header showing on the classified adds pages. You click on the header and go to the profile page. Then you have an idea of who you are dealing with also. Just a thought. Take care

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.