Register now to get rid of these ads!

Harbor Freight Chineese Junk!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Richard D, Sep 21, 2006.

1. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

My biggest gripe is that the catalog they send you will have the same tool with a different catalog number for a higher (or lower price) on the cover or inside. Same thing online.

Yeah I am a junkie as well but noe I don't live near one so not as often and I consider all of their stuff single use disposable.

BTW Gemplers has better prices on gloves.

2. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

I confess...I have 2 sets of orange jack stands?
    They still make me a little bit nervious.

3. buschandbusch2

buschandbusch2
    from Reno, NV

Zman, you should've used the Schlep Boys (Big Red brand I think) cherry picker, that lifted my big block 460 with no probs, lol!

4. boozoo

boozoo

I just grabbed a hoist from Autozone. My biggest worry with these cheap ass hoists and jacks are the hydraulics failing later on... but they're so cheap they're almost disposable.

5. bpc

bpc

you can buy Harbor Freight, but you have to be very selective. I use there air tools with no problems. Some stuff is pretty questionable though. You just have to be selective.

6. I've got a whole set of them, but I've only used the impact. Worked just fine.

7. boozoo

boozoo

I did ok with the few things I did get there (so far). I do tend to go there if it's something that I know I'll never use but maybe 3 or 4 times in my life. If it's something I know I'm going to use the hell out of or I know it needs to be strong as hell, I get extremely selective about who I get it from.

8. Blair

Blair
    from xx

Now you've got me laughing.

The only HF tool I have ever bought is dollies (bodyworking). Hey, they say FORGING right on them, so they must be good???

I figured how bad can they fuck up a slug of steel. The finish is OK, and they haven't broken yet.

Most of my hand tools are snap-on. I have a lincoln welder, burke (USA) mill, south bend lathe, american made 20 ton press, Victor torches, milwaukee drill/chop saw. You get the point. I bought most of the tools used (not the drill/grinder/chop saw) and paid about what the cheap ass chinese ones cost new (maybe a little more).

9. I need to be more patient and start doing that instead of buing useless Chinese crap, especially as much as I rant about Jap cars. If it breaks, you haven't saved a dime!

10. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

So, while i was putting together my 430 Lincoln engine on this "1000 pound rated" Harbor Freight engine stand, it slowly began to bow.... powder coating began to crack by the welds.... and i began prying it up with a 2x4.

this 750 lb engine falling off a broken Harbor Freight stand is not exactly safe for me or the engine.

another lesson learned using HB Chinese junk....

-scott noteboom

Attached Files:

11. Soupa-fucked!

12. I almost forgot about that. You're right, ALL the prices are always different. You have to check the catalog, the internet, and the in store price. They'll only give you the lower price if you print out the page from the internet or take the catalog with you. They're complete asses about this too.

13. PSYCHOMOTO

PSYCHOMOTO

my car dollys were great holding up the car but nearly impossible to move until i replaced the wheels. as for cutting wheels ill opt for the really expensive kind...they usually last 3 times longer than the hf ones

14. Be sure and keep all that broken HF shit. In about 5 years or so when we go to war with them, you can throw it at them

15. bastadical

bastadical
    from Fenton, MI

I find myself shopping at the HF kinda regularly... I have had pretty darned good luck with most of the stuff I have bought. I broke my first tool from them last week. It was a pretty stout looking 3/8 drive breaker bar that I was using to try to get a bumper off. I put the socket on and put a little pressure on it and started pushing and it twisted the end right off of it. I guess for some things I will stick with the Craftsman or better.

16. God I hope we do. No war, just nuke.

17. Crankhole

Crankhole

46 screwdrivers $8.00

Don't buy the screwdrivers.

18. CedarSpeed

CedarSpeed

When i was 16 I broke a MAC 1/2 breaker bar putting the wheels on my old fairlane. Dad took it back and the guy on the truck about shit himself asked just how big a boy is he. I was replaced and i still have it 14 years later without any other problem. Any tool can be broken some just easier than others