Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pic request lowered try 5 chevys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mule Farmer, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

Just bought a 1956 pontiac cheifin wagon was thinking about lowering it wanted to see some pics to help me decide how much. Also trying to decide if I want to bag it or just lower it blocks and cut springs.

thanks bret

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

2 coils in the front, dearch and reroll eyes in rear. Replace the worn parts you find when disassembling. It'll ride rough and bottom easily, but if you're like most of the folks here, that's kinda why we do it. It'll eat tires unless you can find a front end man who remembers how to align them. Some cars require a bit of bending on the spindles to bring them into range. I like the front a couple inches lower ... driveshaft tunnel on the Pontiacs are tight, so watch clearance there if you drop the rear more than 2 inches ... with a set of 15 inch Americans or old clip style 14 inch chrome wheels and '49-'50 Pontiac small hubcaps, you'll knock 'em dead.

3. Anderson

Anderson

Why not pics of Pontiacs?

Attached Files:

4. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

Nice
    [QUOTE=The Fidgiter]Why not pics of Pontiacs?[/QUOTE]

5. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

I have a 55 Chev we recently put 2 inch dropped spindle's up front and a 2 inch lowering block in the rear,mine still rides really good,but I wish it sat lower :mad: I should have went with a 3 inch block but I was warned against that,but it really wouldnt have mattered cuz I still have to let the air out of the tires and jack up one side so I can get the wheels on/off the rear.

I have not cut the front coils yet,not sure if I am going to? (If you do cut them I have been told 1 and a half is about max you want to cut?someone on here cut 2 out and it was too much!? alot depends on how YOUR car sits now,what kind of shape the springs and leafs are in (how much have they sagged already)If you want to lay it real low like the wagon figditer posted I'd say just bag it and have it over with.

I also plan on getting mine a little lower by playing with some smaller sidewall series tires (65/70) that will also get me a little lower,not much but?

Just my .02 Good Luck! xtralow

6. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

On my 55 pontiac 2 door.,I put 2'' blocks on the rear, and cut 1 coil in the front. rides good . looks good. :cool:

7. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

wow fridg thats what im taking about that looks very good. I didnt think I would have any luck asking for Pontiacs.

keep the pics comming.

thanks bret

8. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

9. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

wow this is an old thread. I will post a pic of mine tommrow didnt bag it but I did lower it.

10. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

Attached Files:

11. Here's afew HAMBers low rides.

Attached Files:

12. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

My old 57 wagon

Attached Files:

13. eviljake

eviljake
    from Austin, TX

14. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

Eviljake, Thats exactly what I'm talking bout, that is where I want my 55 .... slammed! Thanks!

Grumpy,I like your wagon!

15. lowburban

lowburban

Here's my brothers 55 olds. Stock front suspension just bagged, rear is notched with truck arm style rear trailing arms and bags.

Attached Files:

16. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

17. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

this is about where it should sit if you want to drive it

This bitchin ride is own by another HAMBer. as you can see it was properly lowered. ..... How do I know, because it is lowered properly when the fender tucks the tip of the 15" diameter rim or hubcap in front.

[​IMG]

18. 54chevy4door

54chevy4door

may not be your style but i thought i would post a pic of my dads car anyways

[​IMG]

19. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

Ok so who has thee most slammed 55,6 or 7 Chevy on Here?
    I want (need) to see more....

20. Here's Laid55's wagon.......I think its bitchin' ! !

[​IMG]

21. chevsotolac

chevsotolac

Heres my 55 kustom wagon......cut one coil and put in 2" blocks in the back........stan

[​IMG]

22. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

dont know if mines is one of the lowest,,but its
    resting down on the frame in this first pic
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Sam, everyone of those shots rocks... but the first on wires just gets me....

24. Paul Y

Paul Y

This is my old heap.

This is currently running Earl Williams 2" dropped spindles with a coil wacked to bring it right down. Tyres are 205/70/15. I had to roll the arches slightly as I got tyre rub on full lock but there is plenty of ground clearance and the ride is good.

I dont think you could go much lower before you ran out of clearance but I am sure someone will prove me wrong.

As for the exhaust... That has long gone as it kept getting knocked off on speed bumps :D Best thing for it I think.....

[​IMG]

25. Bad ass looking ride Paul.....I like.:)

26. INF

INF
    from las vegas

27. My '55 the day I sold it.
    1.5 coils cut out of the front and 2" dropped spindles from Heidt's.
    2" lowering blocks in the rear.
    This is about the most you can lower a tri-five without resorting to bags or serious mods.

I trimmed the rear fender bead on each side and was able to mount 255/60-15's on 15"x8" Cragars (before I switched to polished Americans). The tires never rubbed, but I had to disconnect both leaf springs in order to change a rear tire.

Attached Files:

28. brewsir

brewsir

2 in. dropped spindles with disc brakes,saggy rear springs...rides sweeeeet! Oh yea...junkyard springs from some other car cut to fit!

Attached Files:

29. Bluesfella

Bluesfella

Here's mine...2" dropped spindles in the front, and the original saggy rear springs in the rear. It's not super low (and it's a little hard to see in this pic anyway), but it rides nice, and I don't have to let the air out of the rear tires to get the wheels off!

[​IMG]

30. Half-Fast

Half-Fast