Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gotta spare $385,000 lyin' around?...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, Oct 12, 2006.

1. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I also am greatly impressed. I only win beer steins.

2. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I'm guessing if something like the HAMB was around in 1984, we'd all be posting about how awsome we thought that car was. I realize there were a few old schoolers(is there a better term to use?) around then, but that 3W really represents what was mainstream cool then. Just like if that car was done stock bodied with an period correct small block and whitewalls today. Not to stir things up further, but half of those who dislike that style were probably not even in school when that car came out in Street Rodder.

3. Plowboy

Plowboy

I would kind of expect a little more out of a $15,000 motor and a $5,000 tranny.

4. I was 11 years old & thought that was about the coolest look possible.

Three years later I had purchased a '32 5wd & had big plans to run black primer & steel wheels - eventually I did. :p

JH

5. wanna-b

wanna-b

Guess we both suck. ;)

Of course, I may have a 3W at some point...but it'll be glass so I defiantely suck. ;)

6. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I hear you!
    I was 14 and just starting on my 40 coupe. Luckly only a little smoothing was done, and the side trim stayed on, no license plate and side marker lights got frenched into the rear pan like I thought would look good. I was saving my money for a set of champ 500's! I'm sure it's still a little to "streetrod" for alot of the tastes on here, but I've brought it back to where I like it to be. Old style but enjoyable to drive. It's amazing how I've grown away from doing any permanent changes and like the resto bodied look better.

7. Flatattack

Flatattack

I can't believe some of you blokes not appreciating the class of these 2 cars. That 3 window is awesome, enough so that I bid on it. Didn't quite make reserve although I did manage to bump it up to $610.00.

9 days to go so I might have to hock a bit more shit......wish me luck:D

8. [​IMG]

Deuce coupe.... One MILLION dollars!

9. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

them are nice parts cars.

10. Attention Deuce shoppers - save 5% on 5 windows for the next 5 minutes at Smilin' Mike's Deuce Mart!

During our "5-5-5" Bargain Valu Daze, you can have Mike's personal '32 5 window for the rock bottom price of $199,500 -- a savings of $10,500 over the suggested eBay price!

Hurry, supplies are limited... just like your rationality!

11. if they keep up this stupid shit on the steel 32's gibbons will be getting $100,000 for rollers, and none of will be able to get one. fuckers.

12. wanna-b

wanna-b

Damn, is he looking for a new mechanic? I can keep things fuct up that long easy. ;)

13. wanna-b

wanna-b

Nah, the folks that are good at fabbing will make plenty and might be willing to trade for stuff they can't do themselves. Rodding will go nonmonetary and become barter based. "You have no skills to offer? Yer fucking WALKING!" ;)

14. 32chevysedan

32chevysedan
    from Texas

Ha Ha Ha thats great........

15. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

has anyone figgered out the shops hourly rate yet?...

16. $95/hr for 40 hours a week and dragging it out for almost a year.

Isn't Boyd's shop about $70/hr?

17. Actually over 2 years, I was only counting the labor fees at the bottom. Forgot the labor fees and equipment fees at the top.

From the looks of it, sounds like he furnished a complete new shop with new everything.

18. Labor rate looks like $15,000/month, assuming one full time guy @ 40 hours/week, that's $90/hour.

Not totally unreasonable if you compare it to the shop rates of new car dealers and high end body shops. The thing that killed him was the f'ing 3000 hours.

19. specialk

specialk

I realize that at least one of them (I didn't look at both) is original steel. But, for that price, a brookville body and a lot of time would get me something I like just as much.

20. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...no wonder Mark Morton(Hop Up mag) and alot of other left-coasters are showin' up in okie-homa to get rods built...I'm payin' $30/hr and I'm at a little under 2000 hrs so far. I'm not bitchin'...the highest shop rate here is $45/hr. I think that shop in the auction was milkin' him, cause I went from a rusty-crusty POS to almost done in 12 months...not 2 years.

21. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

If you're trying to put a rustbucket back together, 3000 hours isn't unheard of. But he paid $40k for the original car, it must've been a pretty damn good car to start with. Then look what he did to it.. fugly!

22. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

don't like either of those things...never have liked that style of rod. then the price? boyd doesn't even ask that much for a car!

and am i the only one that noticed that the wheels on the 3W look like 80's firebird wheels that have been chromed and made even more gay?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. teach'm

teach'm
    from Tucson, AZ

I'm with you on this one Harrison.

While the styling of the black 3-window may not float everyone's boat, I for one am glad that it has survived the last 22 years relatively unscathed.

Based on the pedigree of its builders, this is a car with provenance, and while that alone may not justify its price, it serves as a good example of a specific period of time in hot rodding.

-Ryan

24. I worked for the thieving assholes who are selling the 3-window....I wouldn't go near it!!

25. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

hahaha you beat me to it!

i can't believe i'm weighing in a a 32 price thread....oh well, it gives the mods a job:rolleyes:

OMG...the quote of the century!:D :D

"You are bidding on a ONE of a kind 32 Ford coupe 5w street rod" with an SBC.......

Larry, Larry, Larry! Now just how long did you expect this thread to last?:p

26. Sutton

Sutton
    from BTR

For 175K, you would think the owner of the 3 window, would describe the cars parts, maybe even show a picture of the motor....

But what do I know.

27. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Well, boys, it is time.........

I knew there'd come a day when my old 80's Trans Am and Grand Am I have sitting on blocks in my front yard would pay off. I've been waiting for the market to shift. I will be listing the factory mag wheels on ebay as soon as I'm done with this reply. Now, don't get your panties in a wad that I didn't offer them on the HAMB first. A man has to do what a man has to do. You guys are only friends up until the first $50k.

Well, I gotta remove the refrigerator off of the front porch and move the 76 Ford truck away from my gold mines...

28. 28chevrat

28chevrat

hahaha....that was funny flathead.......
    Those guys must be smokin some good shit to be asking that much for the cars....

29. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

cooky is not the word........"dumbfucks"