Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Keith Hill's “CARHARTT COUPE” Wins Hot Rod Of The Year Award

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HEMI32, May 20, 2024.

1. I remember when this was a hotrod site not a bunch of old men whining about cars being too loud and uncomfortable.

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Kinda wondering when a hot rod was supposed to be a comfy car for driving across the entire planet.

as far as this particular car being driven he has other cars that are just as nice that have thousands of miles on them, I’m sure once’s it’s off the circuit it’ll be tearing up the roads. Anyone at the roc this fall will be sure to see its tail lights blazing away on the 200 mile drive threw the hills with everyone else.

3. Hot rods are supposed to be comfortable? That’s a new one on me. :D I have a buddy with a couple 32 roadsters one of which is very nice as well as a rough 34 5 window that is a real hot rod with an attitude. I told him the 34 is the one I need someday if he is ever ready to sell it.

4. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Ok a few things and then you can flame me. Firstly how the hell do you wind the window up while driving? You need both hands to lift the window. Same setup on the green 32 Tudor they built. Secondly I don’t see the point in billet aluminum inner fenders at all. Seems like an extravagant lot of money and to me they should be painted.

5. bobscogin

bobscogin

Ditto, and I could add to that list, but what I think about it isn't as important as what the owner thinks about so I'll keep quiet.

49ratfink, seb fontana and Rand Man like this.
  6. noboD

noboD

If all hotrods were the same they'd be Toyotas. Sounds like you guys don't like anyone that thinks differently then you.

7. Rand Man

Rand Man

noboD: I’m sorry you misunderstood. I didn’t mean anything like that. A lot of folks like black wheels. I do not. You and everyone are welcome to do as you please. I have black wheels and I plan to change them. I in no way implied that others must like any certain wheel.

49ratfink likes this.
  8. alchemy

alchemy

Wow, billet? I didn’t see where that was explained. A whole lot of work to create those in billet. But Pinkees is known for creating cool parts from billet. I think they are cool and add a racey flavor. Like when you’d see an unpainted aluminum hood on a dirt track roadster.

49ratfink likes this.
  9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Probably by knob in slot [center of door panel] with spring assist for weight of glass. I didn't see the billet but I didn't notice chrome hinges till some one pointed them out. Never noticed the top and bottom ones sticking out so far on a stock car. Wheels, not for me. May be some one could photo shop some chrome reverse or '35 wires.:)

Rand Man likes this.
  10. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

there are 2 knobs so you have to use both hands, really safe when driving. As for the billet inner fenders, I have a friend that was involved in the project and he said that each chunk of aluminum was around $1500 and that only does one side. Seems like an expensive way to bill the customer for machine time

seb fontana likes this.
  11. noboD

noboD

The window adjustment is nothing new, just different. I have a 1918 car with a wide strap with holes like a belt. You lower the glass as far as you want and hook the belt over a pin. Not much handier while driving.

The37Kid and loudbang like this.
  12. I had no idea that the inner front fender panels were machined from billet aluminum . . . At first glance, they really appear as if they were fabricated using sheet metal:

Carhartt Coupe - '33 Ford Inner Front Fender Panel.jpg

Last edited: May 28, 2024
  13. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

Pinkees builds some absolutely amazing cars. My roadster is massively influenced by their style. Great car!

14. NealinCA

NealinCA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw the car at GNRS and the details are amazing. You can't soak it all up in one viewing. Colors and finishes are very subjective...maybe they should have painted it in diagonal brown, orange and gold stripes instead. ;-)

Keith is a genuinely nice guy and very proud of this car. Congrats to him and all involved in the build.

Neal

15. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Nope,,,lot of nice work,kind of,but too many trendy bubble of BS stuff going on for me. Passs

Crazy Steve and WiredSpider like this.
  16. alchemy

alchemy

Dana has very high standards.

49ratfink, dana barlow, Tim and 2 others like this.
  17. Brad Ley

Brad Ley

As always a bunch of jealous haters on here. My question to them is how many hot rod of the years have they won? That's one beautiful car.

18. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Just because people have a different opinion that does not make them jealous

19. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Bitchen hotrod lots of cool details to learn from …

05snopro440, duecesteve and Just Gary like this.
  20. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Nothing quite shouts 33-34 Ford hot rod particularly when the fenders are shed & the graceful flowing hood & inner fender to the rocker reveal comes into full view, much like the 32-frame beauty mark, it seems as if Mr. Ford had a vision that the hot rodders would take it to the next level & give generations something to ooooh & aaaah about. What better place to further accent that image with some well-crafted headers filling the void.

Last edited: May 29, 2024
    05snopro440, duecesteve and 49ratfink like this.
  21. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like it. It's a damned hot rod built for a guy who knew what he wanted, and that's what he got.

FYI, you don't "roll", "wind", or "crank" the door windows up and down on this hot rod.
    You "lift" or "lower" them.

05snopro440, duecesteve and 49ratfink like this.
  22. Rynothealbino

Rynothealbino

Looks like a great choice for Hot Rod of the Year to me.

The fact the owner has a history of using his cars and he dared to show it with paint burned off of the heads speaks volumes to me. Most guys with that kind of time and money involved would just push it on and off the trailer and not drive it.

It definitely has some controversial styling choices...but if you start picking away at these where do you stop? Hopefully you stop picking away before it turns into a cookie cutter car. Maybe the fact that it has things that not everyone agrees with is the whole point and is what makes it worthy of such an award.

23. JimSibley

JimSibley

That is a really nice car. Seems pretty "hot rod" to me. Congratulations on the award.

24. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Those are from an airplane, WWII Texan T6 trainer carburetor choke setting levers or reproductions. I had them on my 34.
    372588-1331424039-f5cbf951a2e72575b1ffd8296c155f2f.jpeg

25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

you can really see the difference in the top when compared to the top on the green one. knew there was something different about it,

[​IMG]
    May 24th 2024 (3).jpg

26. duecesteve

duecesteve

There is so much talent on this forum my hats off to all you outstanding fabricator/ builders you really impress with the details ! :)

27. AmishMike

AmishMike

Great fantastic car. One detail bothers me forces a comment. How does he do long road trips with straight pipes. “K13” likes it as a hot rod - true. But street rules made by majority of non car people & loud exhaust is something can get hot rods banned from the streets.

Just Gary likes this.
  28. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations to Keith and the crew from Pinkee's Going to be kool to see it running around.

29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I would think they have more important things to be concerned about, like meth labs and catalytic converter thefts!

30. saltracer219

saltracer219

Ya, they won't bother you around here unless you are doing real stupid stuff. They have much bigger fish to fry.