Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Algon Fuel Injection for Nailhead - fuel pump ideas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BOSTONCAMARO, May 26, 2024.

1. Any ideas on what to adapt for a pump? I am sure it will not be easy to find an Algon and another fuel injection company went bust.

I need to through this but want to get some ideas. I appreciate the insight.

IMG_1553.jpeg IMG_1553.jpeg IMG_1551.jpeg IMG_1550.jpeg IMG_1549.jpeg

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  2. Is this Algon injection some thing that you had for a while, or did you get it recently from " dual quad 55 " here on the HAMB ?

Last edited: May 30, 2024
    mad mikey likes this.
  3. Call Alkydigger.

427 sleeper and BOSTONCAMARO like this.
  4. Fordors

Fordors

Algon injection first used a low pressure pump from an aircraft application. The name of at least some of those pumps was Cherry xxxx, sorry but I can’t recall the second half of the name. Anyway I believe the pump pressure was around 5-6 psi and the individual cylinders could have their flow adjusted with flow control valves as seen here.
    IMG_1022.jpeg
    This is a more modern flow control shown for clarity.
    IMG_1020.jpeg
    Hilborn pumps were around 30 psi and when Algon made the switch to higher pressure they stopped using the flow control valves and went to a metering block with a barrel valve. I’m thinking you could get a drive spud for the end of your cam and adapt a Hilborn pump and metering system to your Algon manifolds. Sounds easy but I never tried.
    BTW, am I correct to assume this engine will be built for competition use only?

Stan Back, Deuces and BOSTONCAMARO like this.
  5. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

I think that was Cherry-Burrell.
    They are still in the fluid pump business.

6. Motor is a built motor, may swap on for track use - need to get car together first but starting to research.

7. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Algon pump for my Yblock set up. Cherry-Burrel, Algon drive unit. IMG_0046.jpeg IMG_0048.jpeg

loudbang, rod1 and Deuces like this.
  8. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I second mad Mikey, call Alky Digger
    Alkydigger.com
    307 White Bridge Pike
    Nashville, TN 37209 US
    Customer Service: 615-457-3192

Pat

loudbang, mad mikey and 427 sleeper like this.
  9. NoSurf

NoSurf

This sounds very cool.

10. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

I don't understand the need of individual flow adjusters. On the street or on the lakes, we never needed those in well-maintained systems of Hilborns and Enderles. (Or we maybe just couldn't see the need.)

11. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don’t know what is true, but this is what I’ve read and been told.

These early Algon’s (and maybe later ones) used a fuel bypass connected to the throttle linkage. You can see it in the above picture. It also mounted the fuel hoses. There’s a needle (think a Carter step up rod, or better the fuel needle in an SU) to richen the mixture as more throttle was applied.

Apparently the circle track guys liked these as they gave better response for part throttle to WOT exiting the corners. But the only really good tuner was Al Gonsalves himself.

The fine tuning was accomplished with those valves at the injectors. Not so much necessary when only interested in WOT performance.

Any comment on this more than welcome. Theres also an Algon thread or two here.

427 sleeper and Fordors like this.