Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Last Model T Built

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Shift Wizard, May 26, 2024.

1. This was in my email inbox this morning. It was 97 years ago from today.......

Today In History-1927- Ford Motor Company produces the last Model T
    [​IMG]

May 26, 1927, marked the end of an era of automotive history. On that day, Henry Ford waited with his son Edsel for the last car of the day to roll off of the assembly line. After it was completed, they got in, drove it off the lot, and shut production down. The Model T had come to the end of its production run.
    The Model T was not only the first affordable automobile in the world, but it was also the most popular automobile in the world. Before the Model T, autos were seen as toys or curiosities for the wealthy, poorly functioning things that would never replace the horse. The Model T, though, not only worked relatively well, it was cheap enough for ordinary people to experiment with, and experiment they did. Thanks to the Model T, driving became so popular that the government made building new roads one of its top priorities in 1920.
    It also became so popular that it gave rise to other affordable cars produced by other companies. And these competitors were able to learn from the Model T and produce better cars. By 1927, Ford had to recognize that the Model T could no longer compete and bring its production to an end.
    As the factory was shut down, Ford delivered a eulogy for the legendary car. In this eulogy, he said, “It was the car that ran before there were good roads to run on. It broke down the barriers of distance in rural sections, brought people of these sections closer together.” It also started America’s love affair with the automobile, a love affair that is still burning strong today. Ford would go on to make many other popular cars and became one of the biggest automotive companies in history, but it never had another hit quite like the Model T again.

2. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

With all due respect, I must ask, could we find a picture of a 1927 'T'?
    Though I must add, that is one beautiful roadster.:D
    :cool::)

Last edited: May 26, 2024
    Fordors, lurker mick and redo32 like this.
  3. Oneball

Oneball

Here you go, they were quite a different looking car by the end of production IMG_8114.jpeg

dwollam, catdad49 and Dean Lowe like this.
  4. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Here is a 1927 roadster, yes they could be had in Maroon Screenshot 2024-05-26 6.22.18 PM.png

Last edited: May 26, 2024
  5. I must feign ignorance. That was the photo topping the article. Personally, I can yell, "Hey! Look at that ol' timey car!" when I spot a Model T on the road but I can't tell what year they are. :oops: :p
    I'll bet someone will note some incorrect info in the write-up after not too long.

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  6. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

That's cool, the T history is often hidden due to the fact that there were so many other more appealing topics. To name a few prohibition, the stock market crash, Model 'A's, Lindbergh,
    The true classics like Cord, Deusenberg, Chrysler, The deuce Ford V8. etc.

7. 2Blue2

2Blue2

Every time you hit a mile stone you break out the quadracycle

first-and-ten-millionth-ford-cars-library-of-congress.jpg
    9386145_orig.jpg

FordQuadricycle.jpg

8. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

My 1927 T Touring Car is number 14,649,485. There were 350,515 more built after mine.

Glad to have a piece of history.

I only bought a very nice Body, so it is in the process of becoming a Traditional Hot Rod.

VR&C.

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  9. dwollam

dwollam

Here's my '27 roadster. Now has black wheels and blackwall tires. 6 to 1 "Z" head, B manifolds and carb, 2" exhaust with a short glasspack. Rocky Mountain 3 speed aux. transmission and 4 to 1 Ruckstell 2 speed rear end.

Dave

20220627_102456.jpg