Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kustom Blues? Late Model Edition

Discussion in 'Off Topic Hot Rods & Customs' started by OG lil E, May 7, 2024.

1. PasoJohn

PasoJohn
    from Edina,Mn.

2. Speaking of Bill Hines and Cadillacs, how about a few pictures of Bill's seldom seen Seville?

The first two pictures are from the 2006 Leadsled Spectacular. I believe the car was just put together at that time as it is missing a few things it had later on.

Bill Hines Caddy a LSS 2006.jpg

Bill Hines Caddy b LSS 2006.jpg

In these pictures you can see that scallops have been added..........

Bill Hines Caddy c.jpg

And Cadillac grille sections have been added over the rear taillights to match the grille of the car.

Bill Hines Caddy d.jpg

Here are a few pictures of the interior. Check out the cigar box Bill used to keep the stuff he needs on the road handy.

Bill Hines Caddy e.jpg

Bill Hines Caddy f.jpg

Most people I've talked to don't care for this car, but I'd drive it. Imagine owning a custom built and owned by the late Leadslinger, Bill Hines. That would be awesome! E

Sancho, drdave, 54delray and 4 others like this.
  3. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

5. 1955 Chevy pickup my grandfather built when I was a toddler. Named "Terminator" cab was chopped 6", sectioned 5 1/2" and then channeled 6" over the frame. Hood was sectioned/pie cut as well. Had square body Chevy set side rear fenders, with 68 Firebird Tail lights. Had a Chevelle clip under the nose, 468 Chevy big block with a 6-71 BDS blower on it. Truck was statically this low, we actually caught the grass field on fire from the exhaust up in Long Beach, WA for the "End of the World" rod run. Truck was last in Australia and from what I can gather been either torn apart and scrapped or the cab is sitting somewhere in a shop because no one can gut a glass windshield for it thats required. It had Lexan in it when my grandfather built it. He got fed up as well with trying to cut actual glass.

For reference on how squashed the truck was, the kid in the pics is me at 3/4 years old, lol.

term build 2.jpg

term house 2.jpg term house 3.jpg
    term salem 1.jpg term salem 2.jpg term salem 3.jpg

6. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Seen at a small car show in Willcox, AZ.

I "think" this belongs here. I am 79 (older than a "Boomer") - I stepped away from the custom scene about 1961. The El Matador was the last straw for me - What's with all those apple corers bolted to the grill? My knowledge of the details for the 1965 cutoff is missing.

Apologies for the open hood and trunk (I agree that customs should be displayed with everything closed to show the lines). This is Cochise County (think Tombstone) and we don't care much for "BIG CITY" attitudes ;)...

Ed 2.jpg
    Ed 3.jpg Ed 4.jpg Ed 5.jpg

Russ

Attached Files:

7. SS327

SS327

Looks like Ronald Mc Donald threw up on it!

LOST ANGEL likes this.
  8. PasoJohn

PasoJohn
    from Edina,Mn.

HERE'S ONE FROM MY FILES AND YES I HAVE 307,000 CAR FILES
    1 CUSTOM LATE.jpg

9. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. ....and Ed hits another thread out of the park! This will be a fun one!

11. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. Cool pics Mick! The black and white shots look like some cruising action shots from Van Nuys Boulevard in the 70s. Anybody know?

Dig the grille on the '69 too. I remember seeing lots of lowriders here in Denver with custom grilles like that when I was a kid. Now, no one. Sad how most of lowriding today is a wildly painted, restored car with tons of hydros in the trunk...........E

Sky Six, Sancho, drdave and 1 other person like this.
  13. Time to get some more going on this thread..........

Here's a few more pictures of the late "Yosemite" Sam Radoff's wild Galaxie.

Sam Radoff Galaxie a.jpg

Sam Radoff Galaxie b CR July 99 p46.jpg

And here's a small collection of some of Sam's work, as well as a shot of his Galaxie.

Sam Radoff Galaxie d.jpg

My last one for today. Not really a good shot of the car, but a group of cholos and cholitas in front of what looks to be a crazy Torino lowrider. When's the last time anyone saw a car like a Torino lowriding? E

vatos n chicas torino.jpg

Sky Six, Sancho, drdave and 4 others like this.
  14. j hansen

j hansen

This?...

Skärmavbild 2024-06-02 kl. 18.58.09.png

Sancho, drdave, firengine103 and 4 others like this.
  15. Thanks @j hansen, I try to do my homework. I must've seen those pictures before and something clicked in the ol' memory banks. E

16. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. Hey Mick (@straykatkustoms), Wichita called to tell me they are missing one of their pavement pounders and they want it back (lol)! E

Last edited: Jun 5, 2024
    richards69impala, drdave and Sancho like this.
  19. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

20. Cars like the Buick above blur the line between lowrider and custom, which was the trend back in the late 60s through the very early 80s--which is ok. Here's a few pictures of another Riv that runs around with the one above. E

65 Rivi GNRS 2018.jpg

65 Rivi rear GNRS 2018.jpg

21. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

One way that I use to notice the difference between a lowrider and a custom is the door handles. Customs shave them and lowriders leave them on. Thats just me.
    You are correct though; the line is definitely blurred sometimes.

OG lil E likes this.
  22. Still being done. I see pictures of cars with twisted steel grills quite frequntly in show coverage on Instagram. Here are two quick ones at the same show that I saw in show coverage recently.
    Screenshot 2024-06-07 100627.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-07 100549.png

23. Robert Teasley's Riv is another example.
    Screenshot 2024-06-09 151416.png

24. Time to bump this thread with a few more pics. Here's a picture of one of the many versions of this Voodoo Larry Cadillac.

Voodoo Larry's Cad.jpg

Here's a picture of Tommy H's cool chopped Caddy from Kentucky. His club, Kentucky Lowriders has been in the game a long time.

Tommy H caddy.jpg

Speaking of the Kentucky Lowriders, here's a Monte that has been in their club for years.

kentucky lowrider monte  carlo a.jpg

kentucky lowrider monte  carlo c.jpg

kentucky lowrider monte  carlo b.jpg

That's all for now. See y'all soon! E

25. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona