Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Let's talk Cadillac 331's, 365 and 390's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Apr 7, 2016.

1. I don't know about .010 bearings but the 020's are un-obtainium now. I was looking for .020 mains for quite a while, finally found a set at Speedway; however the box got damaged in transit and all I received was the rear main set. Got my money back for that set. The crank is still good and I didn't want to have it turned again so just checked clearances and re-used the old bearings. Getting parts for the 331 is getting harder all the time...

2. Arekusu

Arekusu

A little out of the box thinking on this... so don't crush me. Haha.

I don't have a torn down early OHV Cadillac in front of me yet.. buuttt. Would it be possible to adapt a set of SBC aluminum heads or LSX heads to the block with machine / fabrication work? I've seen Ford 300 I6 with an adapted LSX head, there has been a V12 LSX engine built before by cutting and chopping up heads to fit.. with the exception of water / cooling, and rocker oiling, (unsure of how Cadillac flows vs SBC and if we can make that work someway) could we not make a newer head work? I'd gladly grab a sawzall and chop up a set of LSX heads (junk yard cheap) to make a Cadillac engine a weird beast and confuse the masses.

Oh boy... I've created a can of worms.. save me. lol

- Alex

3. tuff57

tuff57
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from wantagh

Would anyone happen to know the bolt pattern or the harmonic balancer? I know the crank pulley only bolts on one way and I need to machine a set of pulley spacers to space my belt out 3/16 of an inch. I found this file, but I’m not sure if it is correct. Can anyone confirm?

Attached Files:

warbird1 likes this.
  4. sheparj2

sheparj2

Hey guys, Anyone know what this could mean? I pulled this top water pump bolt out and it’s kind of black and sooty. The bolt is over sized because the threads were stripped. The motor runs ok, I just needed to remove my power steering bracket. My antifreeze isn’t black like this so why would this bolt be like this? A crack in the head right here? Thank you

IMG_3021.jpeg IMG_3020.jpeg

5. Jessie J.

Jessie J.

Petrified Permatex?

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yup, they put sealant on the threads so it would not leak around the bolt. that hole goes into the water jacket

7. sheparj2

sheparj2

“They” would be me. Maybe it’s that simple, it just seemed like it was wet and more than just a bit of rtv. I guess if it was a crack there would be some more catastrophic type symptoms….

8. Just showing off today... the 331 and Hydro are finally installed.

KIMG0252.JPG

loudbang, kadillackid, rod1 and 3 others like this.
  9. Roothawg

Roothawg

That makes my pee pee feel funny.

warbird1 and Barrelnose pickup like this.
  10. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Here's a random issue I've had I wonder if others have also. My distributor tends to get stuck in the block. It will still rotate to adjust the timing just fine, but if I want to remove it, it lifts up about a quarter inch then gets stuck. I had it happen with the stock 55 distributor and an old flat cap Mallory. It was probably out for adjustment two years ago it's not like it's never been out. Had the same problem when I pulled the stock one out a few years ago.