Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Proud to say that for 4 years now, mine has sat without collecting clutter. Mind you, I can't get to it because it's folded up on the top shelf of my pallet rack behind a bunch of other junk, but... :D

2. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks everyone for the workbench idea. Those things look like they could certainly solve some problems.

During the work day today, I received a large bubble-mailer from New York. Inside, I found my latest shipment of NiCopp with tight 90-degree bends on one end. IMG_2572.jpg
    So, after dinner, I made my way down to the garage and got to work.
    IMG_2580.jpg
    No music, no distractions, just pure focus on the task at hand. The new material bent far easier than the previous stainless steel. And, with a little bit of persuasion, it looks as if I completed my first piece of the brakes. I ran some brake cleaner though it and immediately found leaks. I then tightened everything down and I think I got it! (I actually ran out of brake cleaner, so I'll grab some more tomorrow and continue to test.) IMG_2577.jpg
    I made sure there was adequate space between the radiator and the brake line.
    IMG_2579.jpg
    Although the setup feels sturdy, I plan to make a little tab to keep everything in place. It will be welded to the frame. As discussed earlier in the thread, this configuration will allow me to remove the radiator without having to disassemble the brake system. I'd say it was a good night in the garage.

BigJoeArt, drdave, Stogy and 12 others like this.
  3. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Looking at the next few days, I plan to piece as much of the brake system together as I can as I wait for parts. I'm waiting on two fittings: the one on the back of the master cylinder and the T for the rear axle. Both should be here by mid next week.
    IMG_2574.jpg
    Oh, and I also got my starter solenoid today! What are people running as far as starter buttons are concerned?

drdave, Stogy, winduptoy and 7 others like this.
  4. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I’m running a floor button on one car and keyless pull to start, push to stop on another car.

Stogy, J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  5. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

upload_2024-5-23_8-52-30.jpeg
    These are available everywhere. I would paint the ring black and mount it in the upper left corner of the black dash surround. I take it that the hole right of center in the insert is for the ignition switch. I run this button with the same solenoid. I also ran my positive battery cable to a shut-off and then to the solenoid.
    Warren

Stogy, J.Ukrop, RodStRace and 3 others like this.
  6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Good progress report. I am curious what points you’re testing for leaks. If your gonna have to pull the lines off to paint the frame testing every junction would seem like waisted effort to me?

Unless you’ll drive the car as is and then take it all back apart later?

7. on my 33 pickup, used two holes in the dash, one for a key for running than an old chrome starter button. I have no clue what its out of. You could use a 48-51 F1 starter button as well. We actually use those as the door poppers on Taboo, lol. 1538803_781802488500174_490833137_n.jpg

winduptoy, Outback and Six Ball like this.
  8. Get yourself some flare nut wrenches (the best you can afford) if you don't already own a set, that will let you crank down on the flare nuts without risking spreading the regular box wrench jaws and rounding off the hex corners of the nuts. I have my Snap On ones that I bring home from work since the cheapies I got from Linda Mar ACE (in the 90's no less) don't have the meat around the wrench heads to hold the proper dimensions while tightening. If you can find a tool truck you can just grab the sizes you need rather than the entire set since that would run you almost $400, there may even be used ones available if you ask the rep, usually around 35% or so cheaper than new.

9. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you everyone for the insights. Full replies happening tomorrow. In the meantime, I've been down in the basement making progress on the brakes. IMG_2615.jpg
    And for those of you who are Bay Area-based, I'll see ya at Ocean Beach in the morning!
    IMG_2625.jpg

10. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Getting caught up...I have been absent for a bit.... and happy belated birthday. Looking great but I'm having a hard time getting my head around the springy, coiled stuff around the brake lines. I'm just wondering about NiCop and vibration....maybe my worries are unfounded.
    Carry on

Stogy, Outback and Six Ball like this.
  11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@winduptoy the coiled spring is basically a rock gaurd of sorts m. I’ve seen them on some pretty ancient hulks so I assume they are pretty traditional.

the nicop shouldnt vibrate any more than anything else does when properly supported. Lots of over seas cars run it from the factory and I think it being a little softer probably keeps from any real chance of work hardening and failing.

12. patsurf

patsurf

let's just hope he doesn't solder any connections on the brake light switch--would be a ticking time bomb!

winduptoy and Tim like this.
  13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you go on eBay and search for vintage Snap On flare nut wrenches and flare nut crow's foot sockets, deals can be had.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...l1313&_nkw=vintage+snap+on+flare+nut&_sacat=0

They will still carry the lifetime warranty! This is how I get all of my Snap On stuff!

You can always borrow mine. It's not like I am doing brake work every day, or long term.

winduptoy, Stogy, Driver50x and 5 others like this.
  14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I got all my odd ball wrenches like that in a gallon ziplock bag at estate sales. Lots of people go for the big ticket items and then pass on the bag of smelly screw drivers and wrench’s but more often than not it’s got a couple big $$ wrench’s hiding in there.

then you’ve got the right wrench and some some new chisels
    Lol

winduptoy, The 39 guy, drdave and 2 others like this.
  15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ebay vintage is where it is at, especially if they have "owner's marks" on them.

The rancid tool collecting crowd does not want the marked ones!

This is how I have a full complement of Snap On tools, and no debt!

winduptoy, The 39 guy, drdave and 7 others like this.
  16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Also I saw a video the other day that you can wash your tools that smell like vomit in a baking powder / water mix and it will neutralize the off gasing stink coming from the handles

17. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

You're giving away our eBay secrets. :eek:

18. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

The awful smell is usually from the early plastics used for screwdriver and nut driver handles.
    I think a lot of them were made of Casein (milk) plastic, and kind of want to revert to fifty+ year old milk.
    They also will induce rusting in near by tools, but this can be minimized by giving them a soap and water bath every few years.

winduptoy, Stogy, Outback and 2 others like this.
  19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yup that’s exactly what’s going on the handles are stinking it up. Dawn dish soap will neutralize a mild acid. I can’t recall exactly what’s happening but there was acid involved lol

winduptoy, Stogy and Outback like this.
  20. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

In the '60s a lot of times when we didn't know what was happening acid was involved. :eek:

ric, Stogy, Jeff34 and 5 others like this.
  21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still true.

winduptoy, Stogy, Jeff34 and 2 others like this.
  22. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have an old toolbox that was my great uncle's and it smells so bad I can't even stand to open it. It makes me gag. I have never been able to figure it out because nothing inside is even dirty. That explains it... it has always been in a shed/garage in the heat and humidity.

Stogy, Six Ball, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

“Acetate-handled screwdrivers are fairly tough, durable, and easy to clean, but like a lot of materials they age over time and outgas. What’s basically happening is that the Cellulose Acetate Butyrate (CAB) material is slowly decomposing, and the byproduct has a particular smell to it.

I’ve read that it’s the butyric acid component from the chemical breakdown that causes the vomit-like stink.”

there that’s basically what I had seen, would explain the neutralizing bath. Wash that tool box and get a lot of usable tools back!

ok back to joeys roadster guys lol

24. Try this for tight 90’s with the fitting…. IMG_3682.jpeg

25. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

More details, please!

26. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you everyone for the tool info! eBay and estate sales are my go-to, and it's good to know more about the composition of their handles. Speaking of tools, one of my neighbors must be reading this thread. Look what was left out for Recology to come pick up, but was too big for them to take?
    IMG_2590.jpg
    I scooped it up, carried it four houses down, and put it right into service.

It's been a goal of mine to be able to drive my roadster again, so on Saturday afternoon I went to go retrieve it from the garage. I slowly climbed in and got a feel for the pedal placement. Clutch? No problem. Gas? Easy. Brake? Eh, not so good. My range of motion isn't quite where it needs to be to get to the brake. But I figured it would be a positive exercise—physical therapy style—to get out there and give it a try.

And try I did. It wasn't long before I was sailing down Geary, working my way through the gears. The sun was out, and I was back behind the wheel of my favorite machine.

Now, to a more technical project. I spent the first part of the weekend working on brake lines. IMG_2606.jpg
    Some of them took several tries, but I'm overall happy with how the system is coming together.
    IMG_2614.jpg
    My hardware for the clips should be showing up on Wednesday. For now, blue painter's tape does the job. IMG_2616.jpg
    Clips to be modified.
    IMG_2619.jpg
    Driveway scene.
    IMG_2612.jpg
    Dash board mockup, just for fun!

27. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_2674.jpg
    I need to go to sleep, but I just wanted to share this shot before I sign off (I'll explain more later). I'm excited to share that the car now has a complete driveline. Running flathead, rebuilt-'39 trans, custom torque tube, and freshly built quickchange. This is big progress. That's all for tonight—I'll be back with more soon!

28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

A steering box and a crate to sit on and we’d have a fun video to watch I’m sure of it, but with those local hills I suppose waiting for brakes is ideal ;)

Thanks for the update, curious to see you attach the lines to the banjo.

29. upload_2024-5-28_5-48-30.png

winduptoy, The 39 guy, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  30. Joey,

Congratulations on the major accomplishment of having a complete driveline unit!! You're making great progress and I am excited to see this version running and driving.

Brian